Windows 10 fall creators update disaster

Mick_Berg

Judging by my experience, if you have an AMD Radeon GPU, you should avoid the update like the plague. It does not work at all for me, and there is tons of discussion on the Interwebs describing it as a complete disaster. In my case, the installation process removed the AMD driver and then used the generic MS driver. When I tried to install the latest AMD driver, the computer reverted to the previous Windows build! I am just going to delay the update until the situation is known to be fully resolved.

I would be interested to know if anyone with an AMD GPU has had success with the update.

Thanks,

Mick

What's the Graphics card Mick? It should not be possible to revert to a previous build without you telling it to, Windows is not that clever!

Mick

I'm running Windows 10 "Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125" with a AMD Radeon HD7850 using AMD drivers 17.12.1 without issue. So it is possible.

Disk Clean-up will stop that from happening. Once your Windows install is upgraded to a new version and is working adequately, you should run Disk Clean-up and click on Clean up System files. When that has loaded tick everything on the list and press ok. You will get a warning that you will no longer be able to restore previous windows installation, just click ok. This will remove upgrade files, logs,clean recycle bin, downloaded device driver packages as well as previous windows install among other things. It will also give back up to about 30GB of disk space. It is also recommended to use this tool prior to defragmenting a hard drive or trimming an SSD.
cheers
Graeme

What's the Graphics card Mick? It should not be possible to revert to a previous build without you telling it to, Windows is not that clever!

It's a MSI RX470 4gb. Driver is 17.10.1.
The computer fails to load the 1709 build, and reverts to 1703. Actually I do tell it to, by pressing the power button to reboot. I have no other choice. Sorry my post was a bit inaccurate (as usual).

Mick

Last edited:
Disk Clean-up will stop that from happening. Once your Windows install is upgraded to a new version and is working adequately, you should run Disk Clean-up and click on Clean up System files. When that has loaded tick everything on the list and press ok. You will get a warning that you will no longer be able to restore previous windows installation, just click ok. This will remove upgrade files, logs,clean recycle bin, downloaded device driver packages as well as previous windows install among other things. It will also give back up to about 30GB of disk space. It is also recommended to use this tool prior to defragmenting a hard drive or trimming an SSD.
cheers
Graeme

Well, judging by my experience I'm not sure I would want to do something that stopped me from restoring previous installations, since in this case it saved my butt! I'm not good at operating systems, I tend to be a bit careless so I have to be cautious in what I do.

Mick

I get an occasion flicker (I think but I could just be blinking slower as I age lol) but nothing that it annoying or noticeable in everyday use.

I do notice a ripple (wave) on the screen when viewing image heavy threads in these forums in Chrome as it loads images above the post I'm reading but off screen. Might have to try Firefox for a while to see if it happens there too.

Been a complete failure for me. Computer sits with a light color on the screen and no reboot until I use the keyboard to force a restart and then it returns to the old version. Lost Edge as it only reports unable to connect to site and search box has trouble as well. Actually been thinking of replacing the computer.

Rob

Been a complete failure for me. Computer sits with a light color on the screen and no reboot until I use the keyboard to force a restart and then it returns to the old version. Lost Edge as it only reports unable to connect to site and search box has trouble as well. Actually been thinking of replacing the computer.

Rob

I feel your pain! What GPU do you have and what driver version? At least I'm not the only one. How are you dealing with it?

I don't see how replacing the computer would help, unless you went with a Mac, and despite popular opinion, they have their problems too. Pity Trainz doesn't run on Linux!

Thanks,
Mick

Last edited:
Although T-ANE appears to be running ok, the Fall Creators Update has made MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition almost unplayable.
Lots of info on various forums. Seems the update has made some 32bit functions unworkable. Error messages in FSX-SE include " Unable to open child window" and "Unsupported function". MS is supposed to be aware of the problems and "working on a solution".
Given it has been 7 weeks since my update and no fix yet, don't hold your breath.

Some things never change or so it seems............

:sleep: I'm from DOS 2.0 (prehistoric times) where the Command Line was a lifesaver if you knew how to use it, then along came Wins Ver 1.0 and everyone and everything in the Kingdom would live in Software Heaven truly happy!!!! NOT on your computer life!

I should add being a true Gamer from way back when, I had many a Game that wouldn't load or even work under WIN environment, in fact you had to reboot into Dos Window, or true DOS environment to play certain fantastic games, pre Multiplayer type........Unfortunately for a fair number of us DOS Gamer's, we ended up taking back sometimes half our games because they weren't playable with Windows, MSFT didn't really care about it either.........Sad Times............:(

Then I went to work as IT Local Admin, the goto guy, and when new versions of windows came out, we had to test them for at least 2-6 months, why you ask!

Silly question I know,

But it was that little thing called custom written Software Programs that would only work under certain versions of Windows, once you past that version, well, go find the creator of the Custom software if you could, or buy or create a new piece of custom Software program.

That took 3 months or better on the average, and it wasn't free, so there goes your budget for unanticipated expenses for required upgrades. And the new software, never worked as good as the old one, nor did it have all the functions, you see, the more bells and whistles you wanted, the higher the price to produce it, or you where told we can do something like that......But it's OK you really don't need that function anymore! SAY WHAT.......

I don't want to bore you with further trivia from the past.

So I bid all of us good luck and just got my creators update a week ago, so far so good! And I plan on getting an additional spare Drive and backing everything up in Trainz, I also will use a large Thumb Drive, gee wiz I almost typed out Zip Drive, my age is starting to show, but then I started with Floppy disks of 360K, true floppy, not plastic case ones that fit in your Geek Shirt pocket, that was reserved for 12 Pens in a protective Plastic cover in my well pressed white short sleeve shirt, always wanted a white Lab Coat, I wasn't special, so I didn't get to wear one.....:confused: Actually only higher management wore them..........

As for putting Trainz on MAC's well just let's say I was under impressed :eek: and took it off of Mr's Blue's computer by the second day, she was happy too, didn't want any Trainz crashing on her MAC desktop. :hehe:

Me being the Geek in the house, I don't need the commotion or additional headache either.

:sleep: I'm from DOS 2.0 (prehistoric times) where the Command Line was a lifesaver if you knew how to use it,...

There are still some of us dinosaurs around. I still have the original Zork games. The ones with zero graphics and the "you are likely to be eaten by a grue" warnings. :hehe:

Hi Mick

I have a gtx760Ti driver version 8831. I know there's an update to the driver but haven't loaded it yet. I basically just switched to IE and Chrome and use search inside them.
I'm planning to take the computer into a shop after the holidays and see what they can do. Funny that the original update to 10 was painless and this update has been such a pain.
I have tried the solutions on the Windows Support site, none have worked.

Rob

Wow, I dodged a bullet there! I replaced my AMD GPU with a GTX 1070 shortly before that update dropped.

Matt

:sleep: I'm from DOS 2.0 (prehistoric times) where the Command Line was ... ....

I can recall booting up to DOS and you had to type in WIN to start windows.

I still have some of my DOS shareware around. Floppy disks and all.

I even had DOS train games. Several of them.

Update to the Update saga

I tried it again last night. I deleted the AMD driver and updated using the Microsoft default driver, good enough to see what was going on. A lot of flickering until I restarted the computer. The update installed OK. Then I installed AMD driver version 16.9.1 that had worked for someone else. Still no joy, after a required restart Windows reverted to my previous OS.
So I wonder if the problem is with the physical card (RX470) rather than the driver. I hope not, it worked fine before all this nonsense.
I have the update installed on my laptop and AFAICT it does absolutely nothing that is of value to me.

Time to contact AMD and see what they suggest. In the meantime I have to block all updates which is not good security-wise.
Mick:sleep:

Mick, by any chance does your motherboard have its own on-board video chipset. If it does, have you considered removing the RX470 card temporarily and updating/setting up Windows using those on-board graphics. While it will not resolve the issue relating directly to the RX470 card/drivers, should it be successful it may be a starting point to pinpointing or confirming where the problem or its cause may actually lay. Peter

Mick, by any chance does your motherboard have its own on-board video chipset. If it does, have you considered removing the RX470 card temporarily and updating/setting up Windows using those on-board graphics. While it will not resolve the issue relating directly to the RX470 card/drivers, should it be successful it may be a starting point to pinpointing or confirming where the problem or its cause may actually lay. Peter

Hi Peter.

No it doesn't, unfortunately in this case. And the CPU has no GPU either. I had thought of throwing in one of my old video cards and seeing if I could get through it that way. What a pain!

Thanks,
Mick

Mick, check your refresh rate for the monitor, just read elsewhere that it can get changed during the the Win10 upgrades, wrong refresh rate causing flickering, if it is correct try reducing it, which was another "fix" for the same issue, dropping 125Hz to 120Hz for example. Both were specific to your card.

May not help but you never know.

Back