Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 fall creators update disaster

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    I'm from DOS 2.0 (prehistoric times) where the Command Line was ... ....
    I can recall booting up to DOS and you had to type in WIN to start windows.

I still have some of my DOS shareware around. Floppy disks and all.

I even had DOS train games. Several of them.
    Speak the truth, follow right conduct; all else will fall into place.

United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Default Update to the Update saga

I tried it again last night. I deleted the AMD driver and updated using the Microsoft default driver, good enough to see what was going on. A lot of flickering until I restarted the computer. The update installed OK. Then I installed AMD driver version 16.9.1 that had worked for someone else. Still no joy, after a required restart Windows reverted to my previous OS.
    So I wonder if the problem is with the physical card (RX470) rather than the driver. I hope not, it worked fine before all this nonsense.
    I have the update installed on my laptop and AFAICT it does absolutely nothing that is of value to me.

Time to contact AMD and see what they suggest. In the meantime I have to block all updates which is not good security-wise.
    Mick

Mick, by any chance does your motherboard have its own on-board video chipset. If it does, have you considered removing the RX470 card temporarily and updating/setting up Windows using those on-board graphics. While it will not resolve the issue relating directly to the RX470 card/drivers, should it be successful it may be a starting point to pinpointing or confirming where the problem or its cause may actually lay. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilts747 View Post
    Mick, by any chance does your motherboard have its own on-board video chipset. If it does, have you considered removing the RX470 card temporarily and updating/setting up Windows using those on-board graphics. While it will not resolve the issue relating directly to the RX470 card/drivers, should it be successful it may be a starting point to pinpointing or confirming where the problem or its cause may actually lay. Peter
    Hi Peter.

No it doesn't, unfortunately in this case. And the CPU has no GPU either. I had thought of throwing in one of my old video cards and seeing if I could get through it that way. What a pain!

Thanks,
    Mick

United Kingdom, West Midlands, Gnosall Staffordshire

Mick, check your refresh rate for the monitor, just read elsewhere that it can get changed during the the Win10 upgrades, wrong refresh rate causing flickering, if it is correct try reducing it, which was another "fix" for the same issue, dropping 125Hz to 120Hz for example. Both were specific to your card.

May not help but you never know.
    Malc

Thanks Malc I will try that. But it's a minor issue compared to the fact that the update fails as soon as I install an AMD video driver!
    Mick

Maybe try an old driver from a few months ago?
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Maybe try an old driver from a few months ago?
    Malc, already tried that, have a look at my post #17. But last night I found a beta driver (17.40) on the AMD website that attempts to fix the problem. I have installed it and it works OK with the present OS, but now I'm waiting for MS to attack my computer with the update, and we'll see what happens then!

Thanks,
    Mick

Updates? some block options in this Ten Forums Tutorial.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Driver Updates:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
    Malc

Default No longer a Disaster

This morning I updated Windows to Fall Creators Update and, at last, all is well. Two things may have fixed it, not sure which. I installed a AMD driver 17.40 Beta (which said it would fix the issue) before upgrading, and also MS added something to the upgrade concerning AMD hardware (I think, very little info as usual)

Anyway, all is good now. I particularly like the new Task Manager which monitors the GPU and gives more sensible readings than any other GPU monitor I have used.

Now I can continue with my life!

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding this episode.

Mick

Default Update to AMD driver/Windows Fall Creators update issue

For anyone having issues with AMD drivers and the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, I did have a couple of crashes with the AMD Beta driver. The last one uninstalled the driver, so I had a look around and found that a non-beta update 18.1.1 was available. I have installed that and so far, so good.

Mick

United States of America, Maryland, Baltimore

Hi Mick
    While back I had lots of problems with the update, turns out it was caused by a usb hard drive. The update couldn't find a new driver for the hard drive and failed. Once I removed the usb drive it updated the next time and I could reconnect the drive. Spent many hours on the Microsoft help site and never saw anything about this. Glad to see your problem has been solved.

Rob