Windows 10 fall creators update disaster

Thanks Malc I will try that. But it's a minor issue compared to the fact that the update fails as soon as I install an AMD video driver!
Mick

Maybe try an old driver from a few months ago?

Malc, already tried that, have a look at my post #17. But last night I found a beta driver (17.40) on the AMD website that attempts to fix the problem. I have installed it and it works OK with the present OS, but now I'm waiting for MS to attack my computer with the update, and we'll see what happens then!

Thanks,
Mick

No longer a Disaster

This morning I updated Windows to Fall Creators Update and, at last, all is well. Two things may have fixed it, not sure which. I installed a AMD driver 17.40 Beta (which said it would fix the issue) before upgrading, and also MS added something to the upgrade concerning AMD hardware (I think, very little info as usual)

Anyway, all is good now. I particularly like the new Task Manager which monitors the GPU and gives more sensible readings than any other GPU monitor I have used.

Now I can continue with my life!:hehe:

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding this episode.

Mick

Update to AMD driver/Windows Fall Creators update issue

For anyone having issues with AMD drivers and the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, I did have a couple of crashes with the AMD Beta driver. The last one uninstalled the driver, so I had a look around and found that a non-beta update 18.1.1 was available. I have installed that and so far, so good.

Mick

Hi Mick
While back I had lots of problems with the update, turns out it was caused by a usb hard drive. The update couldn't find a new driver for the hard drive and failed. Once I removed the usb drive it updated the next time and I could reconnect the drive. Spent many hours on the Microsoft help site and never saw anything about this. Glad to see your problem has been solved.

Rob

Back