win 7 crash on me thinking of using win 10.

gremlin1812

G'day, I had my win 7 crash on me and had to reinstall it, since then I have not been able to access the internet or start any trainz versions.
A friend suggested installing win 10.
Will TS10 and 12 run in win 10 and are there any dificulties installing and running them.
I use tane but TS 10 and 12 help with fixing things.
Regards
Barrie

You shouldn't have any problem on this. I have Win10, and I'm using TS09 on it, with no issues.

Hi Barrie,

Everything you suggest should run on Windows 10 for you without issues. You are at liberty to install whatever OS takes your fancy. However, I think you should give some thought and consideration as to why Windows 7 crashed on you. You can install Windows 10 only to find yourself with a similar situation.

It is possible that the problem is computer related and your hard drive is on the way out for example.

Doug

G'day, I had my win 7 crash on me and had to reinstall it, since then I have not been able to access the internet or start any trainz versions.
A friend suggested installing win 10.
Will TS10 and 12 run in win 10 and are there any dificulties installing and running them.
I use tane but TS 10 and 12 help with fixing things.
Regards
Barrie

Make sure you install a 64 bit version of whatever version of Windows you install if you plan on running TANE on the same machine

I could never get TS06 to run reliably on Win10 with it corrupting its database. Just thought I'd mention it since you have TS06 in your timeline. Other than that, I quite like Win10. The Fall Update did some weird stuff to my PC but I think I'm about on top of it.

I agree with others. If you are thinking of updating to Win10, you might do a health check of your PC components . My ageing WD 2TB Black drive is starting to concern me so an upgrade is planned for the new year.

I originally liked Windows 10, but early on this year, i decided to go back to old faithful and installed Windows 7 once again. Granted, on my hardware, it's a bit painful that Windows 7 doesn't support all my skylake based stuff right outta the box, but I feel comfortable with the OS i've come to grow and love using over the past 8 years, next to my dualboot to XP (that's a different story for a different day). Windows 10 isn't a good idea cuz all the spyware and telemetry it has running. I advise you stick with Windows 7.

I originally liked Windows 10, but early on this year, i decided to go back to old faithful and installed Windows 7 once again. Granted, on my hardware, it's a bit painful that Windows 7 doesn't support all my skylake based stuff right outta the box, but I feel comfortable with the OS i've come to grow and love using over the past 8 years, next to my dualboot to XP (that's a different story for a different day). Windows 10 isn't a good idea cuz all the spyware and telemetry it has running. I advise you stick with Windows 7.

It can be configured to run with local accounts and it does offer better security than win 7.

Cheerio John

Windows 10 isn't a good idea cuz all the spyware and telemetry it has running. I advise you stick with Windows 7.

If anyone is paranoid about that then there are plenty of web sites that can tell you how to disable those "nasty" Win 10 features. Personally, I am far more concerned with what Google, FB and other social media snoops know about me!

As for going back to Windows 7, no way!

Windows 7 will go out of support soon and there's never been a better, more secure, and faster performing version of Windows OS, than the latest iteration of Windows 10.
T:ANE runs best on 10.
It also sports excellent support for legacy OS programs, so that most games and older programs actually run better in their own special, virtualised environment inside Windows 10 than they ever did in their original host operating system.

Last edited:
Yes, there are ways to turn it off, but I couldn't run some older games like Midtown Madness under Windows 10, nor could I run my copy of Trainz 2004 cuz it required something that 10 never had, and that is the cd in drive check.

... I couldn't run some older games like Midtown Madness under Windows 10, nor could I run my copy of Trainz 2004 cuz it required something that 10 never had, and that is the cd in drive check.

I just did a quick Google search "Mid Town Madness Win 10" and came up with a long list of sites, including Youtube videos, on how to install and run Mid Town Madness on Windows 10.

I have no idea what you mean by "the cd in drive check".

Some of the discussion here, specifically if updating to the next version of an OS is a good or bad move, has reminded me of similar (identical?) discussions in these forums every time a new version of Windows is released.

Go back to July 2009 when Windows 7 was released and replaced Windows XP (lets forget about Windows Vista, which I actually liked!). There were many posters in the Trainz community who did not like the move from the "old, trusted and reliable" XP to the "new, unproven, more restrictive (in terms of security or nanny-state controls)" Windows 7. There were complaints that you needed better hardware, more resources (e.g. memory), etc compared to Windows XP. There were similar complaints when XP was released replacing Windows ME and Windows 2000.

The "nay-sayers" focus, as they usually do, on the negatives of the change-over to a new system such as the need for a hardware update, lack of compatibility with older software, etc. They seem to ignore the positives - greater stability, security and efficiency.

My current desktop started life as a Windows 7 computer, went (briefly) through Windows 8.1, and now runs the latest Windows 10 Fall Creative Edition without any hardware changes. My usual update cycle was a new desktop computer about every 3 years but this period has been extended since I retired - I no longer need to "keep up" with the technology at my workplace and have better uses for my limited funds. However, I will be looking at a new desktop machine in the new year to keep up with the future requirements for Trainz 2018/NEXT.

Some people have the desire to run old favourite video games complete with lores 8 bit graphics and terrible audio that will either not run at all or run poorly on a new OS - people do have strange tastes. Since Windows 7 Microsoft have included a "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" which, they claimed, would fix the most common problems. And if that did not work, you could manually tweak the compatibility, colour, resolution and other settings yourself. Failing that, there are numerous web sites, some of dubious quality, that claim to be able to fix your problem. In the early days of Windows 7 I occasionally used the Windows Compatibility feature to run older software but as that software was updated by the manufacturers, or I found better alternatives, I eventually discarded it.

The point is, technology is always going to advance, it will never retreat. You can choose to move along with it at a pace that suits your needs or you can try to stand still and, like King Canute, try to oppose it. I stand on the side of progress.

My opinions only.
Peter

Last edited:
I'm with the moving forward crowd... for TANE I use a Win 10 Pro 64 bit i7 6700HQ, 16 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M and TANE runs smoothly...

But I also still have a DOS, XP Pro, Win Vista 64 bit, couple Win 7 Pro (32 bit and 64 bit), Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit... these units I use to run older software like Trainz TS12 on the Win 7 Pro 32 bit unit. I have alot of software that will not run on newer units, so I keep the older units and they become legacy units. I retain them so i can continue to do my development work (and play older games).

I bought the Win 10 unit about a year ago, so when TANE / Trainz / 2018 / NEXT / or whatever it may be called comes out, i will be in line for my next PC. I try to buy a new PC (laptop nowadays) every 2 years. It is prompted by what I intend to run on it. The Win 10 laptop was purchased with TANE in mind. I still do my .NET / Visual Studio on the Win 7 64 bit unit, it does not need that much power for what I do.

So what does all this BS mean? Again I'm with the moving forward crowd. According to Moore's Law you can't just sit back and think that technology will not advance, so you need to embrace it and move with it if you are going to follow Trainz into it's next iteration.

To the OP, I don't see why your crashed Win 7 unit can't run your TS10 and TS12, i would check into that more, and keep that PC up and running for those versions. You say you got it running, but can't get Trainz to work, must be something we could help with, if we had more details. If you get a new PC I would recommend to keep different version of Trainz on the different PC's. Once you get one loaded on a PC and you get it stable, why mess with success.

My issues with Win10 appear to be incompatible software. On starting, I have to log in twice because something spits up an error window between the log in screen and the desktop appearing. The error appears just long enough to see the outline of a dialog box. I assume it is an incompatible driver. I also get an exception on shutting down. Something changed my MS Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable and caused two of my content creation program to crash on start. The Internet helped me fix that.

Eventually, I'll track down the cause of the errors or maybe the vendors will provide updates. I run a lot of odd stuff on my PC: utilities, software development tools and a whole bundle of stuff for Trainz creation. I expect updates like this to cause some issues because I'm not a main stream Windows user.

If you read through the Microsoft list of updates for the Fall Edition, I doubt if many of us in this forum fit their expected client base.:D

Using Win10 64 bit version, I7-7700@4.2ghz, 16gb ram, GTX-1060 (6gb version) and have sliders maxed in 1920x1084 and enjoying it...no issues with Win10. Quite happy.

Back