Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm back (sort of)

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bendorsey View Post
    Time for an update:

As I mentioned earlier I had to have an ultra sound scan to better see the situation with the tumor. While I did have a CT scan apparently the definition isn't that great. The ultra sound one can see things in far greater detail. So last Monday They did the procedure (a very boring procedure at that). Took longer to prep me and un-prep me. Results came in late yesterday afternoon so we had a big meeting with the surgeon today.

Results are not good. The stomach has 4 layers of lining. If the tumor had only gone into layers 1 and 2 they could do the surgery right away. If 3 or 4 I would have to undergo radiation and chemo before surgery. As it happens the tumor has actually gone completely through the stomach wall and into a few lymph node locations surrounding the tumor. They also test cancerous but as before there is no indication it had spread beyond that. The tumor itself has grown into my pancreas and spleen to a small extent.

Originally I was looking at 2 to 3 weeks before surgery - now its as least 2 months away as they must do extensive radiation and chemo procedures before surgery. I have appointments with the radiation guy and chemo guy this coming Monday.

Will keep you updated unless you think this is a bit to gross.

Just keeps getting better and better, lol.

Ben
    You're not alone. I had a seizure on December 28th and dislocated my shoulder again. I was in the ER for a few hours and had my shoulder put back in but again I must wear a sling on my arm. When I went to the doctor last week, he ordered an MRI of my shoulder that also included having dye injected into me that will help the doctor see what's wrong with my shoulder. He called it MRI-some-long-word. I just came back around 2:30 after getting the MRI. But before the MRI, I had to have some X-Rays done so that the doctors will know where they should focus the MRI. They then injected the dye into my shoulder and then I had the MRI. Thank goodness that I only had to take off my shirt and put on a gown, because we'd have a problem if they told me to take everything off. Unfortunately, when I had the MRI, it made that loud humming sound that I hate. I will say that I had a MRI twenty years ago. During the MRI, to take my mind off the loud humming it was making, I thought about the trains Siemens makes, as the MRI I was in was also made by Siemens.
    Duct tape fixes all problems in Trainz

United States of America, Tennessee, Lewisburg

I rather liked the MRI and the sound it made but then I like all kinds of electronic gadgets. It actually sounded like an F-100 engine at idle from the side (very quiet). You can hardly hear it running. Just a very low humming sound. Don't need any ear protection at all. Get a high pitched sound out the front out the front (and whatever you do don't look up the back, lol).

As I understand it they will insert some sort of tube into a major blood vessel which can be shut when not in use since I will be getting multiple chemo treatments. At least I can take a shower.

Old Chinese Proverb: "May you live in interesting times". Well the times are definitely more and more interesting, lol.

Ben
    Trestle Man

Keep the Spirit Ben, admire your attitude and so lovely to be exposed to it at least somewhat this way, so please, as good as possible, keep me, us (?) up to date please. :-)

Taking the problems as they come as good as possible, that is a great attitude and spirit, I sure wish you all the best for that fight you have in hand with parts in your own body messing with you, I hope the fight will be successful and not to messy.

Thanks for the update, lots of wishes for you and your family, and all others struggling!

HUGS for those in wish/need for one!

Linda

United States of America, Texas, Driftwood

My goodness Ben!

Hope for quick recovery! Your a real trooper through this.

"Do not be unkind to your wits Mr. Chapa-chap, and keep them sharp!" ~Bob Ninny.

(Credits to 2train)

Blog Entries

Default Forgive me for taking over your thread . . .

But I figured that since both you and me are having medical problems at the same time, why have two threads about our health problems instead of one? Anyway, here's a short update on my situation. I just came back from the doctor and he said I need surgery on the shoulder. Two weeks from now, I'll be seeing the surgeon and we'll be discussing the surgery and go from there. Wonderful.

I know what you mean - every time I see a doctor they tell me they are going to remove more and more. At this rate when they are done all I will have left is my brain (small as it is) and my butt hole, lol.

Ben
    Trestle Man

Wish you good luck on your surgery, Ben. I have medical issues as well( the joys of getting old) and I'm probably looking at a transplant somewhere down the line. At least in my case they'll be taking out and putting back, providing nothing else goes wrong first.

A bit of an update gents:

Yesterday was a madhouse - I saw three different doctors. The plan has changed.

1. They will NOT be doing surgery. Instead they will do more aggressive radiation and chemo. I suspect this is due to the size and location of the tumor, the fact that it has gotten out of the stomach and into several lymph nodes, plus the pancreas and spleen. The operation just got to big, too complex, and too long. Good news as far as I'm concerned as I was not looking forward to spending 2 weeks in the hospital then all that recovery time after getting home (not to mention not being able to eat more then 4 ounces of food at a time for the rest of my life). They also marked my torso up with a number of "X"'s using semi-indelible ink to be used as reference points to position the radiation emitter. Then did a more extensive cat scan including via x-rays.
    2. The "plan" now is:
    Monday they insert a "port" which is a little round thing just below the surface of the skin and connected to a blood vessel close to the Aorta. This allows them to inject all the chemo stuff, take blood samples, and give me other shots without having to start an IV all the time.
    Both radiation and chemo start on the 29th. Radiation probably takes no more then 5 to 10 minutes most of which is prep (getting me into position and so on). The actual radiation only lasts 60 seconds. This is done 5 days a week (the tumor gets weekends off, lol) and lasts 28 days total.
    Chemo also starts on the 29th and is quite a bit more complex. Takes around 4-1/2 hours as they slowly insert a large bag of a precursor chemical (2 hours), then the real "cocktail" (another 2 hours), then several small doses of other "stuff". They also connect a pump with other "things" in it to the port and I have to wear that until I come back on the 31st. Then we wait 2 weeks and do it all over again. Overall I have 6 sessions of this then the do another CT scan and/or ultra sound and see how things are progressing. If good that's pretty much it (I think) otherwise they might do 6 more sessions of chemo. I'm pretty sure radiation is a one time thing.
    Potential side effects are numerous. Most folks get at least one - some several -and some none (I'm hoping to be a none, lol).

All in all I'm gonna be a busy butt for the next month or two.

Will keep ya informed.

Ben
    Trestle Man

United Kingdom, West Midlands, Gnosall Staffordshire

Sounds horrendous Ben, wishing you all the best and hope you avoid the side effects, staying positive if you can will probably help.
    Malc

Thanks for the update Ben,

sounds extensive but I hope they can kill it that way and that your one of those that get no side effects!

Hugs

Linda

Yeah - it ain't gonna be fun but it beats getting at least 4 possibly 5 separate incisions in the old tummy and not having a stomach or being to eat like a normal human for the rest of my life.

This really depends on the side effects from the chemo. Side effects from the radiation are not too big and the entire process only lasts a little over 5 weeks. Chemo goes on for 12 weeks and has the potential for some serious side effects.

Will find out in about 10 days (gulp), lol.

I guess the chemicals are quite serious stuff toxic-wise. All my clothes, bed stuff, towels, and so on have to be washed twice in hot water then washed as normal. Plus no mixing of mine with my wife's after the 2 hot washes. My immune system will be compromised a bit so I should wear a mask if I go anywhere. Not to protect other folks from me but to protect me from whatever they might have. Avoiding little kids as well. The weirdest thing is (and ya'll gonna get a laugh out of this) I'm supposed to pee sitting down. No splashing, plus close the lid afterwards, and flush twice. Methinks they are getting a little carried away with all that, lol.

Ben
    Trestle Man

Best of luck Ben, I hope that you can make a full recovery after your treatment/op.

Graham.
    Graham, EM Modelz

Australia, South Australia, Christie Downs

Glad to seeyou have kept your sense of humour Ben. Mine hepled me greatly during hard times.
    Best of luck.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bendorsey View Post
    Yeah - it ain't gonna be fun but it beats getting at least 4 possibly 5 separate incisions in the old tummy and not having a stomach or being to eat like a normal human for the rest of my life.

This really depends on the side effects from the chemo. Side effects from the radiation are not too big and the entire process only lasts a little over 5 weeks. Chemo goes on for 12 weeks and has the potential for some serious side effects.

Will find out in about 10 days (gulp), lol.

- snip - The weirdest thing is (and ya'll gonna get a laugh out of this) I'm supposed to pee sitting down. No splashing, plus close the lid afterwards, and flush twice. Methinks they are getting a little carried away with all that, lol.

Ben
    If you flush it once, forget to flush at all, don't close the lid (which I don't understand why women make a big complaint about that), splash anything, what's going to happen to the next user? Is it going to blow up or something?
    P.S. I met the surgeon last Wednesday, and he said NO SURGEY! Thank god.

Blog Entries

- Deleted. Double Post -