I'm back (sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pcas, twilight is like a local anesthaetic but a bit stronger. doesn't knock you out completely.
The reason was, previous op to that took me nearly 12 hours to come out of it. Also had triple bypass 2 years before.
Best wishes to Ben.
Cheers,
Mike

In addition to almost zonking you out, could they have also done a spinal block so your couldn't feel anything below it or wouldn't that have worked?

Ben

They never went that path. I had 2 yrs of constant high level pain from the leg before it was removed. A twinge to me would have made most people writhing on the floor.
I was just glad to be rid of it.
Cheers,
Mike

Hi Ben,

That sounds like among the worse Christmas ever, I admire your handling of it, I would freak out totally, all the best wishes and hopes I can send you I send you!

to Mike, having a husband who's leg/foot is gone and having him wake up during the cutting part and been there all the way, wow, just wow to your story, two people to look at for handling experiences beyond this world!
Makes the troubles in my life pale and non existing.

thank You both, all the actually as I forgot Jordan's troubles in here, I am glad my life is good to me compared to what you all go through, best of luck to all of you and all the others out there with troubles in life!

Hugs for who wants them!

Linda

Hello Ben!!!
Thanks for the update, and God Bless for the upcoming surgery!!!
Not into trainz these days, but I'll keep an eye out on this thread until everything is said and done!
You take care now my good-net-friend!
Ish

Basically this is the hand I've been dealt and it has to be played the way it is. Getting all upset, screaming, hollering, running around like a chicken with it head but off, tearing my hair out, beating my chest, and asking God why is a waste of time and accomplishes nothing other then making those around me even more upset then they already are (tho after the initial shock they are handling it quite well).

I've had a good life - never broken any bones, only minor surgeries before, I still have my appendix, tonsils, and adenoids. Still have 29 out of 32 of my teeth and even still have my hair (without a bald spot in the middle, lol). I wear glasses (who doesn't at my age) but my eyes aren't really that bad. Don't hear very well but that's due to 15 years working within 50 ft of a military jet engine in full afterburner (and yes - that's really what I did).

According to the doctor after this is over in about 3 months I should be back to normal except for the eating thing and live for a goodly number of years afterwards (barring getting eaten by a dump truck while riding my motorcycle that is, lol).

Going over to my daughters this afternoon for a fat-bellied Christmas dinner (while I still can, lol).

Merry Christmas ya'll,

Ben

Time for an update:

As I mentioned earlier I had to have an ultra sound scan to better see the situation with the tumor. While I did have a CT scan apparently the definition isn't that great. The ultra sound one can see things in far greater detail. So last Monday They did the procedure (a very boring procedure at that). Took longer to prep me and un-prep me. Results came in late yesterday afternoon so we had a big meeting with the surgeon today.

Results are not good. The stomach has 4 layers of lining. If the tumor had only gone into layers 1 and 2 they could do the surgery right away. If 3 or 4 I would have to undergo radiation and chemo before surgery. As it happens the tumor has actually gone completely through the stomach wall and into a few lymph node locations surrounding the tumor. They also test cancerous but as before there is no indication it had spread beyond that. The tumor itself has grown into my pancreas and spleen to a small extent.

Originally I was looking at 2 to 3 weeks before surgery - now its as least 2 months away as they must do extensive radiation and chemo procedures before surgery. I have appointments with the radiation guy and chemo guy this coming Monday.

Will keep you updated unless you think this is a bit to gross.

Just keeps getting better and better, lol.

Ben

[FONT=&quot]I wish you a speedy recovery and the strength to achieve it.[/FONT]

grtz
daveric

Time for an update:

As I mentioned earlier I had to have an ultra sound scan to better see the situation with the tumor. While I did have a CT scan apparently the definition isn't that great. The ultra sound one can see things in far greater detail. So last Monday They did the procedure (a very boring procedure at that). Took longer to prep me and un-prep me. Results came in late yesterday afternoon so we had a big meeting with the surgeon today.

Results are not good. The stomach has 4 layers of lining. If the tumor had only gone into layers 1 and 2 they could do the surgery right away. If 3 or 4 I would have to undergo radiation and chemo before surgery. As it happens the tumor has actually gone completely through the stomach wall and into a few lymph node locations surrounding the tumor. They also test cancerous but as before there is no indication it had spread beyond that. The tumor itself has grown into my pancreas and spleen to a small extent.

Originally I was looking at 2 to 3 weeks before surgery - now its as least 2 months away as they must do extensive radiation and chemo procedures before surgery. I have appointments with the radiation guy and chemo guy this coming Monday.

Will keep you updated unless you think this is a bit to gross.

Just keeps getting better and better, lol.

Ben

You're not alone. I had a seizure on December 28th and dislocated my shoulder again. I was in the ER for a few hours and had my shoulder put back in but again I must wear a sling on my arm. When I went to the doctor last week, he ordered an MRI of my shoulder that also included having dye injected into me that will help the doctor see what's wrong with my shoulder. He called it MRI-some-long-word. I just came back around 2:30 after getting the MRI. But before the MRI, I had to have some X-Rays done so that the doctors will know where they should focus the MRI. They then injected the dye into my shoulder and then I had the MRI. Thank goodness that I only had to take off my shirt and put on a gown, because we'd have a problem if they told me to take everything off. Unfortunately, when I had the MRI, it made that loud humming sound that I hate. I will say that I had a MRI twenty years ago. During the MRI, to take my mind off the loud humming it was making, I thought about the trains Siemens makes, as the MRI I was in was also made by Siemens.

I rather liked the MRI and the sound it made but then I like all kinds of electronic gadgets. It actually sounded like an F-100 engine at idle from the side (very quiet). You can hardly hear it running. Just a very low humming sound. Don't need any ear protection at all. Get a high pitched sound out the front out the front (and whatever you do don't look up the back, lol).

As I understand it they will insert some sort of tube into a major blood vessel which can be shut when not in use since I will be getting multiple chemo treatments. At least I can take a shower.

Old Chinese Proverb: "May you live in interesting times". Well the times are definitely more and more interesting, lol.

Ben

Keep the Spirit Ben, admire your attitude and so lovely to be exposed to it at least somewhat this way, so please, as good as possible, keep me, us (?) up to date please. :)

Taking the problems as they come as good as possible, that is a great attitude and spirit, I sure wish you all the best for that fight you have in hand with parts in your own body messing with you, I hope the fight will be successful and not to messy.

Thanks for the update, lots of wishes for you and your family, and all others struggling!

HUGS for those in wish/need for one!

Linda

My goodness Ben!

Hope for quick recovery! Your a real trooper through this.

"Do not be unkind to your wits Mr. Chapa-chap, and keep them sharp!" ~Bob Ninny.

Forgive me for taking over your thread . . .

But I figured that since both you and me are having medical problems at the same time, why have two threads about our health problems instead of one? Anyway, here's a short update on my situation. I just came back from the doctor and he said I need surgery on the shoulder. Two weeks from now, I'll be seeing the surgeon and we'll be discussing the surgery and go from there. Wonderful.

I know what you mean - every time I see a doctor they tell me they are going to remove more and more. At this rate when they are done all I will have left is my brain (small as it is) and my butt hole, lol.

Ben

Wish you good luck on your surgery, Ben. I have medical issues as well( the joys of getting old) and I'm probably looking at a transplant somewhere down the line. At least in my case they'll be taking out and putting back, providing nothing else goes wrong first.:)

A bit of an update gents:

Yesterday was a madhouse - I saw three different doctors. The plan has changed.

1. They will NOT be doing surgery. Instead they will do more aggressive radiation and chemo. I suspect this is due to the size and location of the tumor, the fact that it has gotten out of the stomach and into several lymph nodes, plus the pancreas and spleen. The operation just got to big, too complex, and too long. Good news as far as I'm concerned as I was not looking forward to spending 2 weeks in the hospital then all that recovery time after getting home (not to mention not being able to eat more then 4 ounces of food at a time for the rest of my life). They also marked my torso up with a number of "X"'s using semi-indelible ink to be used as reference points to position the radiation emitter. Then did a more extensive cat scan including via x-rays.
2. The "plan" now is:
Monday they insert a "port" which is a little round thing just below the surface of the skin and connected to a blood vessel close to the Aorta. This allows them to inject all the chemo stuff, take blood samples, and give me other shots without having to start an IV all the time.
Both radiation and chemo start on the 29th. Radiation probably takes no more then 5 to 10 minutes most of which is prep (getting me into position and so on). The actual radiation only lasts 60 seconds. This is done 5 days a week (the tumor gets weekends off, lol) and lasts 28 days total.
Chemo also starts on the 29th and is quite a bit more complex. Takes around 4-1/2 hours as they slowly insert a large bag of a precursor chemical (2 hours), then the real "cocktail" (another 2 hours), then several small doses of other "stuff". They also connect a pump with other "things" in it to the port and I have to wear that until I come back on the 31st. Then we wait 2 weeks and do it all over again. Overall I have 6 sessions of this then the do another CT scan and/or ultra sound and see how things are progressing. If good that's pretty much it (I think) otherwise they might do 6 more sessions of chemo. I'm pretty sure radiation is a one time thing.
Potential side effects are numerous. Most folks get at least one - some several -and some none (I'm hoping to be a none, lol).

All in all I'm gonna be a busy butt for the next month or two.

Will keep ya informed.

Ben

Sounds horrendous Ben, wishing you all the best and hope you avoid the side effects, staying positive if you can will probably help.

Thanks for the update Ben,

sounds extensive but I hope they can kill it that way and that your one of those that get no side effects!

Hugs

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back