Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I'm back (sort of)

United States of America, Tennessee, Lewisburg

No surgery is always good news - congrats.

As I understand it the chemicals in the chemo cocktail are quite caustic. Get it on you and it can burn your skin (which makes me wonder what its doing to my innards, lol). Plus how does it differentiate between cancer cells and non-cancer cells. First radiation treatment is Monday. First Chemo treatment Tuesday (they changed the schedule a bit) so will do some question asking then.

Felt great yesterday - not so hot today - comes and goes.

Ben
    Trestle Man

Update:

Had the first radiation and chemo treatments today. In a nutshell - BORING. Radiation takes all of 5 or 6 minutes (walking in the door, getting zapped, then walking back out the door. Chemo took about 4 hours of just sitting there and watching the stuff (5 bags worth altogether) drip from the bags into a machine that regulates the rate at which they are administered until empty. This coming Thursday all they do is remove the pump and bag currently attached to me. That's it until the Tuesday after next when they do it again.

Can watch TV, read, sleep, talk to each other, and so on while it does its thing. I just watched as this was the first one and I wanted to see what was happening. Will take a book next time. Have food and drinks (free) and you can bring your own snacks you prefer. Yes - I could have taken a laptop and Gmaxed while I waited (if I owned a lap top, lol). Lots of folks on line as they have free WiFi. One downer is I have a bag of stuff attached to me and must lug it around until Thursday. Figuring out where to put it is a pain in the drain. Another bummer is no shower until the bag is gone. Stay upwind guys, lol.

No side effects as yet (so far so good) but I suspect it might take a little while for them to develop (if any).

Tomorrow is just radiation. Humongous (and neat) machine).

Ben
    Trestle Man

Thanks for the update Ben,

Hopefully rest will be as boring and that is it. :-)

You can wash with a cloth, can't you? Not same as a shower but should help with the feel of clean.

Hugs

Linda

Hi Linda:

Too much work - I'll just stink (and get even with our dog for farting all the time, lol).

Unless I develop a bunch of side effects this wont really be that bad - more disruptive to me and some of my family up here in Tennessee then anything else. Depends on if I feel good enough to drive myself as the cancer place is about 25 miles away. Good roads but its still a 40 to 45 minute drive.

Luv

Ben
    Trestle Man

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Well the doctor said that if I dislocated my shoulder again, I'll need surgery. Having said that I decided to resign my post at work, which I did yesterday, due to concerns that I might dislocated my shoulder again, which would require surgery. However, there's a silver lining to this as the local TJMAX, a clothing store chain, has an opening and already has two people with Autism working there. I learned this as one of the workers there go to the same church that I go to. I've been seriously considering taking that job, but I haven't decided whether to fully commit to it or not.
    Oh, and after resigning from my job, I went straight over to the local Steak n' Shake restaurant and got me a vanilla milkshake, as it was Happy Hour during which you get 50% off all drinks. Technically, Happy Hour should be Happy Hours, as it lasts from 2PM to 5PM.
    Last edited by jordon412; January 30th, 2018 at 06:13 PM.
    Duct tape fixes all problems in Trainz

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Ben,

I'm glad to hear the good news on the surgery, but the bad news on the extent of the cancer. You're stronger trooper than I would be with that part of the news.

How does the chemo know where to go and what to pick on?

That's a good question. A friend of mine just went through some cancer treatment. From what she told me, there are components in the mixture which target specific cells so that the chemo therapy knows which cells to pick on. This is called targeted chemotherapy. The radiation is used to weaken everything so that the chemo can work better. The end result is different side-effects and better prognosis, depending upon the kind of cancer.

Here's a link which explains it:

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/tre...y/what-is.html

Main site: https://www.cancer.org

All in all rest and keep your sense of humor. When all else fails you humor will get you through all this.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TS12 Build: 61388
    T:ANE Build: 90955

Hello Ben,

I be busy say some more, a lot more prayers for you during this time. Your very brave going thru this type treatment too.

Wishing you speedy recovery Ben..

Best

Quote Originally Posted by bendorsey View Post
    Update:

Tomorrow is just radiation. Humongous (and neat) machine).

Ben
    Thanks for sharing the journey with us, Ben
    - we can travel with you, and support you
    and know what it is like.

take care
    Chris
    Speak the truth, follow right conduct; all else will fall into place.

Again thanks for all the kind words folks:

I heisted a bit in my first post of going into this much detail about what was what but after thinking about it realized this could (unfortunately) happen any Trainzer so decided to tell it like it is. If the mods had objected and asked me to dial it back a bit (well within their authority of course) I would have done so. With no operation involved (unless they change their minds again which I doubt) there really aren't any super gross details anyway and I've never figured out how to post screenshots (not that there are any the way it is now) ya'll are safe, lol.

No explanations please - I'm not interested in learning how to post screenshots.

BTW - I actually feel a bit better this morning. Probably more psychosomatic then real but what the heck - I'll take it, lol.

Ben
    Trestle Man

Quote Originally Posted by bendorsey View Post
    Again thanks for all the kind words folks:

I heisted a bit in my first post of going into this much detail about what was what but after thinking about it realized this could (unfortunately) happen any Trainzer so decided to tell it like it is. If the mods had objected and asked me to dial it back a bit (well within their authority of course) I would have done so. With no operation involved (unless they change their minds again which I doubt) there really aren't any super gross details anyway and I've never figured out how to post screenshots (not that there are any the way it is now) ya'll are safe, lol.

No explanations please - I'm not interested in learning how to post screenshots.

BTW - I actually feel a bit better this morning. Probably more psychosomatic then real but what the heck - I'll take it, lol.

Ben
    Ben,

Tell it like it is. There are some things that are left unsaid, but what you are saying does not fall into that category. On a less dramatic note, I'm off to get my right eyeball peeled. (I'll post another topic about it soon(tm).)

Felling good? That's good and it means your positive thinking and humor is working. Sending some vibes your way.

Rest, eat well if you can, and stay strong.
    John

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    - snip -
    That's a good question. A friend of mine just went through some cancer treatment. From what she told me, there are components in the mixture which target specific cells so that the chemo therapy knows which cells to pick on. This is called targeted chemotherapy.
    - snip -
    One thing that bothers me about medical terms is how they're not spelled the way they sound. Perfect example here: chemotherapy. For a long time, I thought chemo was spelled K-E-M-O, not C-H-E-M-O. I hate medical terms, they're either really long or aren't spelled the way they sound.
    Duct tape fixes all problems in Trainz

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    Ben,

Tell it like it is. There are some things that are left unsaid, but what you are saying does not fall into that category. On a less dramatic note, I'm off to get my right eyeball peeled. (I'll post another topic about it soon(tm).)

Felling good? That's good and it means your positive thinking and humor is working. Sending some vibes your way.

Rest, eat well if you can, and stay strong.
    Good luck on that procedure, John. Eventually I'm going to need both eyes done. Fun getting old, innit

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Good luck on that procedure, John. Eventually I'm going to need both eyes done. Fun getting old, innit
    Oh no it's not.

Good luck with that too!
    John

United States of America, Illinois, Palatine
    Blog Entries

Just stay strong bendorsey. We are all here to support you 100%.