C&O Hinton Division - Thurmond Empties

BMMECNYC

During play of this route-session, I have noticed a couple of issues.

The first problem severely affects play-ability:

About 40min into driving the route, one or more AI trains derails, causing the player to fail the session. I can tell it is a AI train derailing, because I brought my train to a complete stop. I was able to delay the derailment by setting AI train max speed to 20 mph. I suspect a new train spawned (is that a thing?) and derailed due to high speed or a train ran to end of track somewhere and didn't stop.

The second problem is me being a bit rivet-countery and is not game breaking:

For some reason, the route has cylindrical hoppers and other era inappropriate rolling stock. Are the freight cars in sidings randomly generated from a list of rolling stock I have downloaded, or are they put in by the route developer? Can they be changed?

Thanks for your help
BMMECNYC

All locos and rolling stock were placed by someone knowing that they are not from that era. Also, there are no leaning physics in Trainz as of right now. There are only a few ways to derail a train and the AI from what I have heard is sort of broken right now in T:ANE. The next hotfix is supposed to fix this problem which was brought to light a little while ago, maybe a month or two. Yes, you can spawn new trains onto a route using something called Portals. You can also use the "Trains" tab in T:ANE to spawn full consists and individual cars or locos. Portals are essentially an off route staging yard that you can't see. You can set a production interval by the minute and also do many other things with it. They can also send trains back. When first placed, a portal will just consume and delete trains. You should be able to figure out how to use them, it is honestly not that difficult. As for why that train is derailing, it may be a switch thrown the wrong way. Now, in Trainz, going over a switch when it is switched against a train doesn't derail it IF there is not too dramatic of an angle on the switch. For example, a switch that looks like it comes to a point will definitely derail a train if the switch is not thrown in its direction. Of course a smooth switch can have a sharp curve which can also derail a train because the loco or piece of rolling stock will jump to the other track after it is about 75% through the switch. The whole reason the train does derail is because it is coupled to another car or loco, this includes the tender of a steam loco. If an individual loco, diesel for example, goes over a bad switch that is against it, it will actually be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Bob_Ross. I will probably look into just stopping, slowing, or re-directing the offending AI trains.

Back