Junctions inside tunnels

DavisGregg

I've read a thread about connecting tunnels (junctions within tunnels) but would love to see a video tutorial. Is there one?

I'm starting small with model railroad building and want to build the little layout below. Notice the two junctions inside the tunnels. Of course I could simplify, but I'd like to build it as close as possible to the plan.

Atlas_Granite_Gorge_&_Northern_HO_layout_2D_track_plan.jpg

Once you memorize your routes normal path through the switch's, just press "J" when a train just enters the tunnel, and the train will take the alternate path

You can lay track in tunnels, by looking straight down, in wireframe mode

I think Andi06 made the parts to make a tunnel junction. It's a long time ago and I couldn't tell you the kuids, I would have to search the database and you can do that just as well!

Or you can just make a vault where the tunnels join, I have done that in the Widened Lines part of ECML at Kings Cross if you want to check it out.

Mick

Last edited:
If you go for that "real" model railroad experience, you could use a 3d tool (like Blender) to model an open area made out of particle board (aka "chipboard"). You know; the inside of a hollow mountain, made out of a few board to keep the fake landscape from dropping down.

Not the best pictures to demonstrate what I mean, but since I have these two in the Trainz Gallery I might as well use them to try and explain what I mean:

Another-overview-of-this-model-railroad-module.-Clearly-visible-is-the-shadow-station-hidden-in-a-tunnel..jpg

If you look in the top right corner of this image you see a mountain silhouette. I let a tunnel go into that mountain and created a tiny "shadow station" in it.

Here is that same "shadow station" seen from the cab of a train I drove into the tunnel:
Testing-tunnel-in-model-railroad-layout.jpg

So it is a self made asset for this specific job.
You don't have to be a skilled 3D modeler for this, as it is little more then a box.

If you want to take a closer look at this, the route can be found on the DLS: kuid2:645812:12015:1 M120 Two Valleys

Hope this helps.

Hi Davis Gregg

Andy Smith made a series of tunnel junctions. Search "AJS" or "andi06"
Here's one he made to start you off with.
[FONT=&quot]<KUID2:122285:2024:1>[/FONT]

Kind Regards
John P.

Back