Signal Gantry Placement

Where can I place a signal gantry, whether it be on a single or double line? Sure, we have two lighted signal heads that are usually applied when diverge or converge tracks are ahead. However could a two headed or three headed signal be placed on a gantry beside a long stretch of track where there are no switches? Or, does the gantry need to have single heads for that?

Last edited:
Check your track-objects. In Surveyor, there's the track tab. Within the track tab, at the top part, is the track objects. Look for gantry there are various ones which will say Gantry 01, or Gantry 2T, etc. There are also spline and scenery type gantries as well.

Your best bet is to browse the Download station and have a look. There are so many of these assets it's hard to describe them all.

In addition you want gantry signals. These are listed as signals with gantry after their name mostly. There are many, many authors that have made these. You may want to journey over to Jointed Rail www.jointedrail.com and have a look at their various signal such Searchlight signals, Tri-light, SL-series, and Saftran signals.

Like your gantries, these signals, either already installed, from the DLS or from Jointed Rail once installed will appear under the Track-objects.

Sounds good. Thanks John. I actually did get some gantry units from DLS when I typed in the words "Safetran" but I didn't actually type in the keyword "Gantry". Maybe I should give that a shot. I believe I downloaded all signals from Jointed Rail including the Tri Lights which are the most visible - even from a distance - even moreso than the Searchlight Signals I have in some sections of track. Now I do have a double track with no switches around it and I have placed 2 gantries (1 for East Traffic and 1 for West) with triple signal heads on each gantry. Hopefully this ok for now unless the triple lights are only means for interlocking diamonds.

Sounds good. Thanks John. I actually did get some gantry units from DLS when I typed in the words "Safetran" but I didn't actually type in the keyword "Gantry". Maybe I should give that a shot. I believe I downloaded all signals from Jointed Rail including the Tri Lights which are the most visible - even from a distance - even moreso than the Searchlight Signals I have in some sections of track. Now I do have a double track with no switches around it and I have placed 2 gantries (1 for East Traffic and 1 for West) with triple signal heads on each gantry. Hopefully this ok for now unless the triple lights are only means for interlocking diamonds.

The triple signals are generally used for interlocking setups, or for wyes.

Here's a breakdown of the JR designations, which will help you.

Type 04 (01 also) = Absolute
Type 05 = Permissive
Type 06 = Approach - used for when going from single to double track and for diverging routes.
Type 06d = Distant or home signal similar to the Type 05, but used for diverging and approach.
Type 08 = Interlocking - used for crossovers and wyes.

Any signal that has an L in the name such as Type 04 (L) will be automatically placed on the left side of the track.

For some signals you'll see LD in the name. This means the signal defaults the signal to diverge left instead of right. RD would be Right hand drive by default.

The thing to keep in mind is KISS. Generally you want to protect lines from being entered so in your case of switches, you would place Type 04s (dwarf versions might work too) so that the heads face toward the driver so he sees them before entering on to the main track. (It's hard to explain).

Diamond crossings, are not affected by signals by default, and AI are invisible to each other in that case and will pass through each other! There are some ways around this using the new interlocking towers (Don't ask me about them), or the ATLS system, which is quite easy to setup. There are many, many posts on this and there's even instructions within the ATLS content on how to set it up.

The triple signals are generally used for interlocking setups, or for wyes.

Here's a breakdown of the JR designations, which will help you.

Type 04 (01 also) = Absolute
Type 05 = Permissive
Type 06 = Approach - used for when going from single to double track and for diverging routes.
Type 06d = Distant or home signal similar to the Type 05, but used for diverging and approach.
Type 08 = Interlocking - used for crossovers and wyes.

Any signal that has an L in the name such as Type 04 (L) will be automatically placed on the left side of the track.

For some signals you'll see LD in the name. This means the signal defaults the signal to diverge left instead of right. RD would be Right hand drive by default.

The thing to keep in mind is KISS. Generally you want to protect lines from being entered so in your case of switches, you would place Type 04s (dwarf versions might work too) so that the heads face toward the driver so he sees them before entering on to the main track. (It's hard to explain).

Diamond crossings, are not affected by signals by default, and AI are invisible to each other in that case and will pass through each other! There are some ways around this using the new interlocking towers (Don't ask me about them), or the ATLS system, which is quite easy to setup. There are many, many posts on this and there's even instructions within the ATLS content on how to set it up.

Right on. Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.

Back