? On Route Backup

brucem56

Hi - what is the best/most efficient way to backup your route(s)? Is there a standard practice most use? I know there are many ways to backup files, but just looking for a good method i can use regularly.

Is just exporting to a CDP and saving that good enough, or should I go further?

Thanks for any/all advice/suggestions, much appreciated.

Chhers
Bruce

I back up the whole install using a file sync program both to an external drive and to an internal drive I use for backups only.
Takes a while for the first backup but after that it's pretty quick as it just updates changes deletes and additions.

Microsofts SyncToy works although a bit slow and is free.
I'm using Create Syncronicity which is an open source backup program with no nasty junk included. http://synchronicity.sourceforge.net/

FreeFileSync, which I've recommended before on here, used to be excellent however they started bundling junk with it, Open Candy on the last update I had, in fact Defender deleted it before it did any damage, that says a lot! Avoid it!

Backing up the local and original folders is the minimum required if you don't fancy doing the whole install.

Last edited:
I use Fast Copy and do a differential copy so only files that are changed are copied. This works of course only after the a full copy is done. This utility is free as well.

Using this method, I've been able to keep things backed up and safe and was able to restore my T:ANE data after replacing a defective hard drive.

I use Fast Copy and do a differential copy so only files that are changed are copied. This works of course only after the a full copy is done. This utility is free as well.

Using this method, I've been able to keep things backed up and safe and was able to restore my T:ANE data after replacing a defective hard drive.

Should have said the ones I listed are differential.

I tried Fast Copy but at the time FreeFileSync was a lot quicker! shame they had to screw it up with scumware. Anything beats trying to copy it with File Explorer!

Thanks for the replies, although I think I didn't do a good job of explaining what I'm looking for. I don't want to do a backup of my TANE Install, just a single route. I just want to do a quick backup of a route after each time I work on it. Was wondering if there's a quick efficient method, such as exporting to CDP. Would that be sufficient to recover my Route should the original become corrupted or get eaten by TANE (which has happened).

Thanks

I just want to do a quick backup of a route after each time I work on it. Was wondering if there's a quick efficient method, such as exporting to CDP.
Saving with a new name is sufficient if the original was to become corrupted or eaten. That's by far the quickest and most efficient, since you do it from within Surveyor. But it won't be sufficient if the data base is corrupted - that would require saving to a CDP. That's more efficient than a database backup because only a very small amount of data gets saved, but of course it does not include any dependencies for the route, so if you have to restore the database then your route might be missing assets. The CDP is sufficient unless the reason for the corruption is something like a disk drive error, in which case it depends on whether you saved the CDP to a different drive.

Back