New iMAC Pro launches with powerful GPU options at last - But you'll pay...

Yes just had an email from Apple about it, looks to be impressive as is probably the cost! Haven't used my Mac for at least 10 years, still on their mailing list though!

Hi everybody
In regards to future, below is a link to a YouTube video presentation by Android Authority with reference to the latest Qualcomm 845 Arm based processer. The 845 is to be at the core of not only Android high end smartphones but also forthcoming Google Chromebooks and Windows laptops aimed at professional users.

Android Authority give some great reviews over on YouTube and this one I feel very much demonstrates Qualcomms advanced approach to system on chip (soc) development. The video is worth ten minutes of anyone’s time who is interested in IT development. Link to YouTube video starts here:-
https://youtu.be/g77CadH_IeY

EDIT, at the end of the above video there is a link to an Android Authority review of Apples A11 processer and a comparison with the earlier Qualcomm 835 processer, well worth watching.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi everybody
In regards to future, below is a link to a YouTube video presentation by Android Authority with reference to the latest Qualcomm 845 Arm based processer. The 845 is to be at the core of not only Android high end smartphones but also forthcoming Google Chromebooks and Windows laptops aimed at professional users.

Android Authority give some great reviews over on YouTube and this one I feel very much demonstrates Qualcomms advanced approach to system on chip (soc) development. The video is worth ten minutes of anyone’s time who is interested in IT development. Link to YouTube video starts here:-
https://youtu.be/g77CadH_IeY

EDIT, at the end of the above video there is a link to an Android Authority review of Apples A11 processer and a comparison with the earlier Qualcomm 835 processer, well worth watching.

Bill

Well this went off topic super-fast with Bill's usual Android trolling.

Love to hear from any Apple aficionados among us who have a need - and an intention - to buy one of these impressive beasts next year.
What options are important to you? How would you use a highly-specced variant of the latest iMac Pro?
With options for up to 18 Xeon cores and a top-line Vega card, these will be great for compute-intensive processing.
The display alone sounds sensational - and ideal for graphics artists and creative pros.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of switching to Mac for a while -- using my old Late-09 Macbook for nearly everything, while using my main PC only for gaming. Sounds like there will finally be a Mac available that can do what my PC can, but at three times more $$$ than I've spent so far on my current PC.

Must..... resist......

Matt

So, they reused the chassis of a normal iMac, darker color, and throw in some server CPU options. Not worth it. LOL

I would love one, but it's hard to justify spending that much money on a non-upgradeable machine. Might wait to see what the new Mac Pro is going to look like.

chris

I'm pretty sure Apple could have taken the old Mac Pro aluminum chassis and thrown in a new, modern system board with a few m.2 pci-e connectors and the latest/greatest ports sticking out the back, a dual XEON CPU tray that takes the latest/greatest XEONS, and it would have been affordable and would have sold like hotcakes. Instead, we'll get some super-expensive, art museum like design that no one (except "Pros") can afford.

Maybe they will remember that pro users care way more about scaleability and compatibility than they do about 'revolutionary' design features. The tower was always the best form factor for a pro machine.

S
o what do I do with the $13,000 iMac Pro that I just bought?
Well, hopefully, you had a full calendar of clients and are ready to bang out their projects so you can make bank. I mean that is why businesses buy expensive equipment. Waiting around for a new machine won't get the work done.

Keep this in mind:

Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi admitted that the 2013 Mac Pro's so-called "trash can" design has a limited thermal capacity ('//www.macrumors.com/2017/04/04/apple-updates-mac-pro-and-more/') that doesn't always meet the needs of the most demanding workflows.[SUB][SUP]

[/SUP][/SUB]

I’m also a little bit scared of thermal throttling in the imac. I know that apple claims big improvements to thermal management, but i’ve had lots of problems with this in past models, and i’d hate to drop $10k on a machine only to have it underperform or burn out early.

Chris

I’m also a little bit scared of thermal throttling in the imac. I know that apple claims big improvements to thermal management, but i’ve had lots of problems with this in past models, and i’d hate to drop $10k on a machine only to have it underperform or burn out early.

Chris

Imagine the awesome super PC you can have for $10k (probably a little bit less and have money left over) that will put the Mac Pro on the shelf to collect dust.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z7Y2gL

Pretty much. PCs don’t really run MacOS though, and it’s hard to get a decent display at a reasonable price.

chris

I’m well aware of hackintosh, but running an unsupported configuration that breaks every time a minor update runs isn’t my cup of tea.

chris

I’m well aware of hackintosh, but running an unsupported configuration that breaks every time a minor update runs isn’t my cup of tea.

chris

Well, I have not run into any problems... yet. It is perhaps less prone to problems lately? Still better than spending all that money.

Well, I have not run into any problems... yet. It is perhaps less prone to problems lately?

Could be. Been quite a while since I've dabbled in that space. The problems and the complete lack of support made me very happy to jump back to first-party hardware. Even if it's better now, you're always going to be living one botched update away from requiring a complete OS reinstall or worse, which isn't a good place to be for a work machine.

Tinkering with it for a hobby? Sure, go for it.

Still better than spending all that money.

Taking shortcuts with a $5k machine to save spending another $3k.. it sounds great until the first time that something goes badly wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to run a supported version of MacOS on a heavily customised "beige box". If I had a spare non-Apple machine around that wasn't used for something else, I might even do that. But I'm not going to play those kind of games with a work machine, and I'm not going to spend big money buying something that might just stop working one day because Apple changed something.

If I really wanted to tinker, I'd use linux, because that way I get to tinker with the software as well.

chris

court propriet

Tinkering with it for a hobby? Sure, go for it.

Heya, the whole reason that MacOS is better than Windoze is that it generally just works, no continual need to fiddle with the system just use it ... as a computer should be done. The price is always scary, and although it would be nice to have a new one my 2014 iMac runs T:ANE pretty well spending almost $15k for a sooped up iMac Pro aint happening, and neither is going back to Win.

The thing I miss is not being able to use CLI TrainzUtil :p

Well, now there is the best deal of all. Mac OS X on a virtual machine (VM) from multiple platforms, not just a VM in Windows.

Back