Trainz on a USB drive

ourense

Just wanted to tell about a little thing I got working recently installing T:ANE on a USB stick works great actually and can be used on any computer (have tested on multiple)

Have done that and it works quite well. Just make sure you use USB 3.0 ,or better 3.1 Remember the host computer must be also that format.

Trainz on a USB drive, more like Trainz kill the Drive. That being said, yes, it's feasible, but it WILL kill your drive off a LOT faster then normal. i run Trainz 1 thru 2010 on my external HDD, but only on rare occasions

I have run TS12 and T:ANE from external hard drives, but those are the plug-in powered USB 3.0 hard drives. It worked quite well though a bit slower than an internal drive. A USB stick, sadly doesn't have the longevity and will die much sooner because unlike a hard drive is more like an SSD. USB sticks also get slower over time as they fill up and can only be reformatted, and unlike a regular SSD can't even be trimmed.

I have also run T:ANE over a network. I have the executable on my laptop and the data on my desktop. I shared the data drive and mapped a network drive to it on the laptop. I then configured the database location in T:ANE and everything hooked up. It wasn't too bad once everything loaded up, and it was quite nice sitting on my deck with my laptop using T:ANE instead of at my desktop on the nice day. The other advantage too is being able to connect to my data without needing to copy the contents to an external device, then copying routes and stuff back when done.

It is 32 but the game only takes up around 12, I know it won't last forever but I use it at school sometimes and don't always have privilages or the time to intall it.

Wow, my T:ane install is about 200 GB now.
No way any USB-stick can run that!

SSD, is THE drive to run Trainz.
USB is compared to that way to slow to update ingame graphics.
You can have a super PC but running Trainz from a USB kills all the fun.

Back