I condemn Auran/N3V...

This is veering OT a little but the last two Windows updates seem to have degraded performance - often takes the main PC much longer to start and it occasionally insists on opening Windows Mail without prompting (and I've checked it's not in the Startup folder). I'm assuming this is the so called Creator's update though I haven't tested TANE yet. Times I wish I'd stayed on Win 7!

Opening MS programs you were using before you shut down is a new feature, unwanted by most as it slows down the start up!

Fix is disable fast start! yes I know it's illogical, disable hibernation if you use it which will force a clean shut down.
If that doesn't work run "powercfg -h off" less quotes from a command prompt or command powershell.

If a customer would say something like this about released software by me and I have and still am working my *** off to try accommodate as many customers I can I would reply to him: "Please, uninstall my software, never think about it again and never contact me again"

Alcaron, no matter what your grievance is, your post is an imposition and you should be condemned.

"Kind" regards,

Ron
Sorry Ron I disagree, this has been a rotten update for a minority of people, ive been a supporter of TANE financially right from the start on both PC and MAc and it's given me mostly frustration over its entire existence, if we are all supposed to just be nice to the creators when they are giving us endless hours of angst rather than pleasure, I think we have every right to express our displeasure.

The OP wasn't giving them a mouthful of expletives, but I could understand if he had as I've felt like it, especially when I get help desk responses that pretty much always tell me to continue to grin and bear it . Yes they may be working their asses off ( and so are many people in the trainz community to get things to work properly ) but it's largely happening due to their own actions . I know it's not mendacious , but it's not exactly a wonderful situation for anyone . I am amazed so many people stick with the product , I know I am considering whether to continue with it or not or to move on to other things. To drop it would be to abandon years of work ,but one has to consider if it's worth all the angst in the long run.

... this has been a rotten update for a minority of people, ive been a supporter of TANE financially right from the start on both PC and MAc and it's given me mostly frustration over its entire existence

Yes I agree, it has been a "rotten update" for a minority of users and I too have experienced periods of frustration, but not "mostly". One thing that has been clear is that different users with different systems, setups, DLS and third party download habits have had different experiences with TANE and its SPs. SP2 was the worst for me but HF1 has fixed all my significant issues. I am now more than happy with the product and, because I was a part of the "beta test team" for HF1, I feel some significant ownership of the product.

... we are all supposed to just be nice to the creators when they are giving us endless hours of angst rather than pleasure, I think we have every right to express our displeasure.

There are two sides to this of course. Without those creators there would be very little content on the DLS so "being nice to them" could ensure a steady supply of new content and, hopefully, they will improve their creation skills in the process. The flaw in this argument is that the skills needed to keep the content up with the latest version of the program are becoming more difficult to master.

Most content creators, I believe, are more than happy to accept constructive criticism and good advice on how to improve their skills and assets. You can find many such threads in these forums, particularly in the "Content Creators Forum". There are always going to be a few creators who will not take kindly to any advice. Unfortunately there are, it seems, plenty of content users who have no qualms about destructively criticising any free asset that causes their displeasure, for whatever reason.

As as been pointed out many times over the years, the penalty you pay for allowing any Tom, Dick (sorry boleyd) and Harriette to make their own content in a sandbox environment is that you are going to get some assets that worked well in TRS2004 with its lax standards but cause major problems when those standards are tightened. Remember those days when the config.txt files were full of tags with very basic spelling errors?

Perhaps N3V should have made a clean start with all new assets for TANE and no backwards compatibility - but perhaps not!

I am amazed so many people stick with the product , I know I am considering whether to continue with it or not or to move on to other things. To drop it would be to abandon years of work ,but one has to consider if it's worth all the angst in the long run.

Perhaps your own tagline provides the answer to that question.

Peter

If you take an image of the system drive with something like Macrium reflect Free version, Windows issue? just reinstall the image, 15 to 20 minutes tops no loss of data TANE or anything else other than what you did since the backup. No need to ever reinstall and if you get a bad Windows upgrade just restore the image you made before the update, pretty painless.

Restored my C drive that way yesterday after a power outage stuffed it up, lot quicker than waiting for check disk to repair the damage back up and running in 10 minutes ;o)

Thanks for that info. I downloaded a copy of the home free version and will have a look at it over the next few days.

Back