Dighole problem

arlonine

Hello, I decided to try my hand at building a model railroad in T:ANE. I started making the platforms on 2 baseboards in N scale. I used dighole to carve out the unwanted blocks to leave a long F shaped table. This took quite a bit of time and clicking. My problem is, that parts of the dug out sections keep coming back when I move around the "room". I can keep moving around and get them to disappear, but they don't stay gone. I can't even attach the fascia since I end up putting it on edges that are supposed to be there and then the fascia is sitting out in the middle of empty space. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this ? I changed my ,maximum draw distance to a higher setting, but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks
Ron

Hello, I decided to try my hand at building a model railroad in T:ANE. I started making the platforms on 2 baseboards in N scale. I used dighole to carve out the unwanted blocks to leave a long F shaped table. This took quite a bit of time and clicking. My problem is, that parts of the dug out sections keep coming back when I move around the "room". I can keep moving around and get them to disappear, but they don't stay gone. I can't even attach the fascia since I end up putting it on edges that are supposed to be there and then the fascia is sitting out in the middle of empty space. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this ? I changed my ,maximum draw distance to a higher setting, but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks
Ron

You may be using the wrong approach to making a model railroad. There has been a very lengthy discussion of this subject somewhere in this forum. I think Philskene was one of the participants, as he makes a lot of model railroads.

Mick

I agree with Mick, ... there are a number of factors that you should be aware of. Without the knowledge you can waste a lot of time re-doing things over and over.

As an example, there are many types and sizes of digholes,... some 1 x 1, 8 x 1, etc, all on the DLS.

Also before you start, may I suggest researching the whole concept https://www.twitch.tv/trainz_simulator '#28 Dig Holes'.

Maybe have an understanding of 'How Layers work #7' would benefit in what you are trying to achieve.

Layers allow you to isolate and lock various tasks, while you are doing something else over the top of what you have done; and without having to do it again.

Good luck,
Roy

Thanks guys, for the replies. I sure didn't use any layers, so I will watch some of the videos on that link you gave me. I just thought if I dug a hole it would stay dug :) I have watched a few videos on youtube, but I didn't know about these on twitch. Again, thanks.

Ron

Ron --

Rather than use digholes you might consider using terra-forming. I have several model Trainz layouts on the Download Station that use this technique. This is one (full screen / 1080p):

Phil

I have used the digholes by itareus on quite a few model railways/railroads or experimental "bits" and have not had any problems. I always use them on a unique layer.

Ray

Phil, thanks for the reply. I think you might be a little bit farther along the learning curve than me :) I haven't even started turning the curve and your'e on the straight stretch the other side. Very impressive. But I did try what I think you are referring to as terra forming. I am just trying to get the table and walls working right and can't get that far. What I did was take a section of the baseboard that is 4 X 8 feet (in N scale) and used dighole to create a border around it 4 squares wide. Then I used "Use Height" to lower the remaining baseboard to -38 inches. This looked fine until I started panning around and zooming out. When I did that, some of the grid that I dug out shows up occasionally. If I zoom back in or pan closer to it, it will disappear again. And Ray, I did put the digholes on a seperate layer, even thought when I disable that layer, the holes don't go away, just the little red X's. I haven't tried the itareus digholes, but I will.

As you can tell, I am unexperienced at this, even though I have created a couple of regular layouts. Anyway, I appreciate the comments and I will keep at it.

Ron

Hi Ron --

Yes, I've done a few more model layouts than you. More than most others too I would suspect.

This is the video that got me going:

And this is one of my T:ANE layouts using the dighole technique:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?128626-Clear-Lake-Logging-NG-for-T-ANE

So:
Use digholes to cut away the floor. Leave the remainder of the baseboard at zero height.
For the floor use, for example, the spline "x Floor 01". I set the height of this spline to -55.
For the fascia in Clear Lake I used "Marsz-I Spline". Any of the ones that are 25m tall will do. I set the height to -25.4.
For the legs, "Marsz-I (TRY) EL Support v07", attached to an invisible track at -5.

With both the dighole and terra-forming methods for the floor I usually do all the track laying and terrain shaping first. Then the digholes; or drop the floor (to -55).

The brick walls are splines, "HUGE brick wall", set at -55. The door "C+ MR 4M Door & Frame Wood 2".

We can never have too many model railroads so we all hope to see your final result.

Phil

Last edited:
Phil, thanks for the reply and the link to the video. This video shows me that I am doing it the right way. I must be having a problem with my computer or my video settings. I found that I am just fine when I stay on one baseboard, but when I get off the baseboard, some of the digholes randomly come back into view. When I move back towards the holes, they again disappear. What I can't figure out is, that I edited some of your routes that I downloaded and they don't do that. Go figure. I think I will update my video drivers and play with the video settings in T:ANE. Then again, I may just try that method of making a table that you used in Cilie Old Phartz. I think I have finally figured out how to make the sharp edges of the raised platform.
So again thanks, and I just want to say that I really enjoy your routes.

Ron

Back