PEV's Mesh Viewer Not Working

So i wanted to open up PEV's Mesh Viewer to look at an asset, and all of a sudden the program doesn't work. Something about how my Graphics card can't run the program. I've had my current GTX 970 GPU for a while and only now is Mesh Viewer throwing a fit. I haven't changed any of my graphics settings or any of the program's settings, so what gives?

The viewer uses the OpenGL library.. for me it's simpler than DirectX. The drivers for your card may solve the problem.

So far it's still working for me with the latest iteration of Win10.

I have been extending its capabilities to include FBX models, which has been a long winded exercise. I'm nearly there. Most Trainz materials now work and the texture mapping conversion from the rather random object and material listings is coming together. I had to figure out a conversion device for the relationship between vertex and UV listings and convert Nurbs to triangles.. fun fun... I am not sure that I have animated models working correctly either.

Just had patch Tuesday so odds on it's one of Microsoft's driver updates. Blocking MS driver updates is a must when games and associated tools are involved.

Mesh viewer is working fine here with Nvidia 388.31 drivers.

Works fine here, but there is an annoying thing about this program.

pevmeshviewer.jpg

If click OK then all the skin is black.

I would like to see this beautiful and so usefull program to be updated so it can load and show more than 256 colors.
When I make new skins I always use more than 256 colors.

idee.gif

If I submit loco with new skin and go to preview asset in CM then it is ok.
Ingame that same skin works fine too.
I only get this massage in PEV program.

Whole loco is black then, only in pev proggie.

edit:
Better said: Only the things I reskinned are black.

Last edited:
Just had patch Tuesday so odds on it's one of Microsoft's driver updates. Blocking MS driver updates is a must when games and associated tools are involved.

Mesh viewer is working fine here with Nvidia 388.31 drivers.

How do you block MS driver updates? I allowed MS to update Windows 10 recently and it was a disaster as it replaced my AMD drivers with MS ones (I presume) and the screen flickered so badly I couldn't use the computer. I had to undo the upgrade.
Thanks,
Mick

There is no compression.

Helicopter in CM preview:

heli-preview.jpg

Helicopter in PEV

heli-pev.jpg

It stays black in PEV
Ingame all correct, CM preview too.

Not all assets do that.
In all cases I just double click the blabla.tga and PSP-X9 starts, then I edit what I want, save and then sometimes (50%) this "problem" happens in PEV.

☼...☼

In all cases I just double click the blabla.tga and PSP-X9 starts
That's your problem. PSP does not create correct TGA files. Use something that can handle TGA properly, like Paint.Net.

You might be able to get PSP to work, depending on your version. Find out where the TGA format options are set. Make sure you are saving images as 32-bit ARGB, uncompressed.

If you are testing in T:ANE that's not adequate - some of the rules for TGA image file formats are currently ignored.

Huh, i leave for a night class and suddenly my thread has been overrun. :hehe:

Updating my drivers did seem to fix the problem though, so thanks for the idea Mark.

Trainz now supports compressed TGAs so I will have to add the feature to my tools.

I already have them working in AssetX because Andi06 (the original author) added the GR32 graphics library to be able to open a larger range of images. I intend to use the same library in my Trainz Mesh Viewer and Images2TGA.

I have other additions for AssetX so the above changes are not released as yet.

Last edited:
How do you block MS driver updates? I allowed MS to update Windows 10 recently and it was a disaster as it replaced my AMD drivers with MS ones (I presume) and the screen flickered so badly I couldn't use the computer. I had to undo the upgrade.
Thanks,
Mick

You can block them in Win10 This PC > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > Change Yes to No.
However this doesn't always actually work.

Using Winaero Tweaker which has a disable setting does work or they have provided the info to edit the registry yourself

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Quite a useful tool actually as you can easily deal with some of the Win10 annoyances.

You can block them in Win10 This PC > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > Change Yes to No.

Just for the the record, I let MS update my Win10 installation a couple of days back and downloaded the latest NVidia drivers. PEV's MeshViewer continues to work just fine.

Trainz now supports compressed TGAs so I will have to add the feature to my tools.

I already have them working in AssetX because Andi06 (the original author) added the GR32 graphics library to be able to open a larger range of images. I intend to use the same library in my Trainz Mesh Viewer and Images2TGA.

I have other additions for AssetX so the above changes are not released as yet.

Well well, that would be nice.
Today I changed some of the black presentation of TGA images in your program.
They were indeed compressed. My bad!
Including that helicopter, it's now showing correct.

Sorry to cause this thread a swing around, but that's because of replies I got about it.
On the other hand, a good thing is, we know now a lot more.

Thanks in advance for updating this wonderful PEV programs, they are still very usefull!

kerstman.gif

However this doesn't always actually work.

Using Winaero Tweaker which has a disable setting does work or they have provided the info to edit the registry yourself

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Quite a useful tool actually as you can easily deal with some of the Win10 annoyances.
Thanks Malc, yes Winaero is great but my problem is not solved. The creators upgrade replaced my AMD drivers with the MS driver which worked, but when I installed the latest AMD driver, Windows reverted back to the previous 1703 version. However it's not a Trainz issue, I will have to look elsewhere.

Thanks
Mick

Back