Rails and Ties Thrown To The Side

At times I see rail lines that have sections of rails that were removed and thrown to the side of the ballast. I also see a few ties that were removed and left on the side of the ballast close to the ditch. Where can I find these items on the DLS and what keywords should I type too? Are these 2 separate items available on DLS?

At times I see rail lines that have sections of rails that were removed and thrown to the side of the ballast. I also see a few ties that were removed and left on the side of the ballast close to the ditch. Where can I find these items on the DLS and what keywords should I type too? Are these 2 separate items available on DLS?

Sometimes also used as buffers, I have seen old ties piled up haphazardly on the stub ends of turntables, like you I I cant find anything representative of these either. There are neat bundles of new ties but that's not what's needed here....:D

Sometimes also used as buffers, I have seen old ties piled up haphazardly on the stub ends of turntables, like you I I cant find anything representative of these either. There are neat bundles of new ties but that's not what's needed here....:D

Agreed. I'm sure you and I will find something on the DLS, or someone may respond with the answers we're looking for.

Look for old ties or old sleepers.

<kuid2:98966:67810:3> Sleepers Bundled ---- Built-in according to my install
<kuid:138423:4000016> Laying Ties ---- on DLS
<kuid:138423:4000017> Laying Ties2 ---- on DLS
<kuid:138423:400019> Laying Ties4 ---- on DLS
<kuid2:138423:4000018:1> Laying Ties3 --- Built-in

<kuid2:70337:39005:1> New Ties

<kuid:458053:100588> Stack of ties ---- On DLS I think.
<kuid:138423:400013> Cross Ties
<kuid:55290:400013> Cross Ties

<kuid:175455:101227> JR New Ties ---- Payware installed on my system. Could be on JR's website too.
<kuid:175455:101132> JR RR Ties

How's this for starters?

If you want single sleepers (or "ties" for our Nth American friends) to scatter around the trackside use the set of build in assets ...

<kuid2:68213:28008:1> Sleeper wood 01
<kuid2:68213:28009:1> Sleeper wood 02
<kuid2:68213:28010:1> Sleeper wood 03
<kuid2:68213:28011:1> Sleeper wood 04

or their equivalents bundled together, also built in ...

<kuid2:68213:28024:1> Sleeper wood stack 01
<kuid2:68213:28025:1> Sleeper wood stack 02
<kuid2:68213:28026:1> Sleeper wood stack 03

Single track segments can be formed from a single rail track spine found on the DLS ...

<kuid:61119:38801> Rusty 1 Track

If you want single sleepers (or "ties" for our Nth American friends) to scatter around the trackside use the set of build in assets ...

<kuid2:68213:28008:1> Sleeper wood 01
<kuid2:68213:28009:1> Sleeper wood 02
<kuid2:68213:28010:1> Sleeper wood 03
<kuid2:68213:28011:1> Sleeper wood 04

or their equivalents bundled together, also built in ...

<kuid2:68213:28024:1> Sleeper wood stack 01
<kuid2:68213:28025:1> Sleeper wood stack 02
<kuid2:68213:28026:1> Sleeper wood stack 03

Single track segments can be formed from a single rail track spine found on the DLS ...

<kuid:61119:38801> Rusty 1 Track

WHOA! Two super posts! Thanks Pware!

There's many more of those sleepers, both singles and stacks, on the DLS. A search on author ID 68213 and name "sleeper" should get them all. They all come from one mesh library if I remember correctly. Use Shift-Rotate to tilt them for a bit of randomness if required.

Last edited:
There's many more of those sleepers, both singles and stacks, on the DLS. A search on author ID 68213 and name "sleeper" should get them all. They all come from one mesh library if I remember correctly. Use Shift-Rotate to tilt them for a bit of randomness if required.

Thanks for your info. I downloaded a bunch of them. What about some old rails that were removed and laying on the side of the ballast? Any of those around?

Thanks for your info. I downloaded a bunch of them. What about some old rails that were removed and laying on the side of the ballast? Any of those around?

<kuid2:35412:38109:1> spare rails
<kuid2:35412:38110:1> rusty spare rails

Both built-in and are splines which you drag to whatever length you want.

<kuid2:35412:28001:1> old track This is also a built-in stack of old track. A scenery-type object. These are great for yards and MOW facilities in a yard where the spare track is stacked up.

And there are probably many, many more.

<kuid2:35412:38109:1> spare rails
<kuid2:35412:38110:1> rusty spare rails

Both built-in and are splines which you drag to whatever length you want.

<kuid2:35412:28001:1> old track This is also a built-in stack of old track. A scenery-type object. These are great for yards and MOW facilities in a yard where the spare track is stacked up.

And there are probably many, many more.

Right on. I'll check it out. Thanks John.

The general lesson here is that it's a bit random as to which assets get built into various editions of Trainz, so if you see some built-in content you like, it's often worth looking on the DLS for more/similar items by the same author and get the whole set. This is particularly the case if an asset references a mesh library as a dependency. If you have the mesh library for one asset, you have already downloaded most of what's required for the whole series, so you may as well get them all.

As for old rails, I can only say sorry, I haven't made any. I figured there were enough of them by other creators, as pointed out by our lemon-flavored friend, JCitron.

The general lesson here is that it's a bit random as to which assets get built into various editions of Trainz, so if you see some built-in content you like, it's often worth looking on the DLS for more/similar items by the same author and get the whole set. This is particularly the case if an asset references a mesh library as a dependency. If you have the mesh library for one asset, you have already downloaded most of what's required for the whole series, so you may as well get them all.

As for old rails, I can only say sorry, I haven't made any. I figured there were enough of them by other creators, as pointed out by our lemon-flavored friend, JCitron.

Gotcha. Yea I noticed some Built In Assets with additional options for assets in the DLS I also examined and selected as to which ones interested me. I also downloaded some library sets of some assets as well. Yea John has been helpful in some of the different threads I have posted on this forum.

Last edited:
Check out 'Abandoned Ties Spline', by gfisher on uslw.net. It has ties perfectly in line with each other. However, if you want to be more prototypical, use 'Abandoned Ties Spline2', also by gfisher and also on uslw.net, which has the ties offset from each other, like real life. Combine these tie spines with some rails laying beside it on the ground, and you can create the building some new track or the track being abandoned.
'Abandoned Ties Spline': http://uslw.net/downloads.php?action=view&id=546
'Abandoned Ties Spine2': http://uslw.net/downloads.php?action=view&id=547

Check out 'Abandoned Ties Spline', by gfisher on uslw.net. It has ties perfectly in line with each other. However, if you want to be more prototypical, use 'Abandoned Ties Spline2', also by gfisher and also on uslw.net, which has the ties offset from each other, like real life. Combine these tie spines with some rails laying beside it on the ground, and you can create the building some new track or the track being abandoned.
'Abandoned Ties Spline': http://uslw.net/downloads.php?action=view&id=546
'Abandoned Ties Spine2': http://uslw.net/downloads.php?action=view&id=547

Ok, sounds good. I'll look into it. Thanks for your input.

Back