Need some help locating rural Japanese roads

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
Hi all. Does anyone know of any roads available on the DLS that look anything like these roads? Those ditches at the side are called Benjo Ditches and carry rainwater and "other" stuff away. I can't seem to find any and I need some for my rural japanese route.

Pics:

street_03.jpg

street_08.jpg

street_34.jpg

street_37.jpg

street_69.jpg

street_77.jpg

street_78.jpg

street_79.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

I'll just keep searching, then. My attempts to put a drainage ditch next to a road works on straight stretches, but looks horrible on curves.

Bill

I work in Japan in the Anime industry and those are typical of many smaller and older towns. Never seen a spline of anything like that. Have not looked into Japanese routes in Trainz, that sounds like a great project. Any chance it will touch the steam era? that is my own special interest. Of course most of the steam infrastructure and stock was destroyed in the war, or much of it. but pre war it was a flourishing system of great interest, much of it modeled on the UK style but with some distinctive touches and widely used by everyone of all classes.

good luck on it, i am working on some japanese houses both rural and town, for a MSTS/Open Rails project but i can convert them to Trainz if it helps ..just have hands full at the moment with another project, give me a PM if you want to talk about things.

Chris

Wonderful, Crisger. I lived in Japan for quite some time up north in Aomori Prefecture. This was the beginning of the 1970s, so no steam. I've several routes I'm developing, most of them are in Hokkaido along the south coast. Currently working on the Kishigawa Line as it is a feeder and relatively short. But, it is in a quite rural area and this type of road is prevalent everywhere.

I also have a nearly finished version of the Tsruimi Line on Tokyo Bay, but that is also being worked on by others. An imaginary line running through the island chain near Okinawa is coming along fine as well.

All of the lines are electrified, but I intend to run excursion consists using steam engines.

Bill

The image with the bike is reminiscent of one of FMA platform designs, could possibly be adapted?

Might be worth checking out some of the Chinese road splines which were included in the TS12 default route.

As an erstwhile fan of BVE, Densha de Go and even the old SL de Ikou on Hokkaido I have occasionally thought about doing a Japanese route myself. It is one region which is actually well represented on the DLS both in terms of rolling stock and building etc. assets. We will see what 2018 might bring!

Thanks, Vern. I'll check them out. My routes are built using TransDEM, so they are terrain-accurate. I especially like Hokkaido as it tends to have single-line routes as branch lines to the major north-south line through Sapporo. I search a LOT of Google Earth and spend time cruising roads in road view recalling my driving trips into the countryside. I loved living there.

Bill

I did get as far as sketching out the Seikan Tunnel route but got all furballed trying to set up the sub-ground stations. I'm certainly thining of putting Otaru to Niseko (the SL de Ikou route) on my possible list of 2018 projects. Not Trainz sad to say, but I find that Story Of Forest Rail route done for RW/TS quite compelling to drive. Think that is also based on a closed line in Hokkaido somewhere.

The beauty of many Japanese routes is that, outside the urban areas, they are very much basic railway in terms of infrastructure which also reflects the majority of trains are worked by fixed formation DMU or EMU trains. However I recently spotted some very nice looking Japanese steam locos and period coaches on the DLS, hence my interest in the SL de Ikou line.

A real glutton for punishment would have a go at the famous Tokyo Yamanote line or the Osaka Loop but I prefer a gentler pace these days.

Last edited:
The Seikan Tunnel would be a neat route to model, but unless you added quite a bit on either end, boring. I once did a two-board route feasturing a huge imaginary yard in the middle of a medium-sized Japanese city. If I ever finish the surrounding boards, it might make for some interesting operations.

Bill

It would also need a custom tunnel skin as, from the YT video I've looked at and the BVE version it is quite unlike any tunnel we currently have in Trainz.

As regards Hokkaido I was saddened to see on looking at Wikipedia it appears JR have carried out their version of the Dr Beeching cuts over the last 2 - 3 years and many lines have been shut down.

I was saddened to see that also, Vern. I do praise JR for leaving the one line running until the young lady graduated from high school. That was a great thing they did as she was virtually the only passenger for over a year. When those small feeder lines go dormant, you have to rely on tiny little Japanese buses and they have no leg room at all. I've got the bruised knees to show for it.

Bill

Thanks, Vern. I'll check them out. My routes are built using TransDEM, so they are terrain-accurate. I especially like Hokkaido as it tends to have single-line routes as branch lines to the major north-south line through Sapporo. I search a LOT of Google Earth and spend time cruising roads in road view recalling my driving trips into the countryside. I loved living there.

Bill

:wave: Evening Sir,

Just wanted to let you know, after reading your use of TransDEM, (beyond my pay grade) I went on DLS and saw you had made several versions of Wild Bill one especially for T:ANE ver 4.5, my eyes lit up as it was NG, so I downloaded it, and also got "elvenor's" Loco D&RG 2-6-0 you suggested in Route comments........

:D That will work great I think on my Durango and Silverton NG Route I just downloaded too. Your route had one faulty asset, amazing, all it needs is Asset X to fix missing Texture Text Files, simple for me to do. And no missing assets............Another bonus.

The Route is a nice size and looks like lots of fun to run on. Thank you for your efforts in making this one for T:ANE compatibility.:cool:

Have great Holiday too.

Well, thank you, Blueodessy. Much appreciated. I originally released WB for TRS2004 and it's worked its way up into T:ANE. It's a fun route for sure.

And Happy Holidays to you as well.

Bill

Back