.
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: We are losing Engineers like this Engineer day by day . . .

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Posts
    3,352
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default We are losing Engineers like this Engineer day by day . . .

    . . . and the knowledge of how to maintain and run steam locomotives. In 2016, when this video was made, Howard Borovec was eighty-nine years old, and remembers running Chehalis-Centralia's 2-8-2 #15, who turned 100 that year, in revenue service. People like him, who had first-hand experience maintain and running steam locomotives are disappearing quickly, and with them is the knowledge needed to maintain and run those steam locomotives so that they may continue to amaze, fascinate, and get people interested in trains, like those steam locomotives did to him when he was a kid.
    Duct tape fixes all problems in Trainz

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    That's why there needs to be more young people getting into actually working on these machines. Im 25 and the youngest train crew member where I work. The next youngest is in his 30's already, and the numbers just keep going up.
    Will Champion

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Blue Ridge of Virginia, U.S.
    Posts
    780

    Default

    I find it amazing that steam engines are even allowed to run the rails in the United States at all, given the rampant environmentalism that has been effectively shutting down all uses of coal. And of course, we know that steam locomotive are know by the state of California to cause cancer simply by listening to their lonesome whistles whine...

    As for new engineers, though, I think the U.S. is a lot safer than a lot of other countries in keeping the heritage alive, as long as we are allowed to run 'em...
    Joel

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cressjl View Post
    I find it amazing that steam engines are even allowed to run the rails in the United States at all, given the rampant environmentalism that has been effectively shutting down all uses of coal. And of course, we know that steam locomotive are know by the state of California to cause cancer simply by listening to their lonesome whistles whine...

    As for new engineers, though, I think the U.S. is a lot safer than a lot of other countries in keeping the heritage alive, as long as we are allowed to run 'em...
    Don't make jokes about cancer, it isn't funny.
    Mick

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Blue Ridge of Virginia, U.S.
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Berg View Post
    Don't make jokes about cancer, it isn't funny.
    Mick
    Hmm...Trying to see the joke. I can't find any. Considering I battle cancer every day, I suppose I could crack a joke or two if I wanted to. Perhaps you should lighten up and reread my post?
    Joel

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cressjl View Post
    Hmm...Trying to see the joke. I can't find any. Considering I battle cancer every day, I suppose I could crack a joke or two if I wanted to. Perhaps you should lighten up and reread my post?
    Sure. I over-reacted. Sorry. I've been there too so I'm over-sensitive.
    Mick

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Blue Ridge of Virginia, U.S.
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Berg View Post
    Sure. I over-reacted. Sorry. I've been there too so I'm over-sensitive.
    Mick
    It's so easy to write something that is not read the way I intended. Satire is certainly something that can be misread (as I was intending), and can be less than appreciated, too.

    But you are definitely a good man, Mick, so no offense was taken by me! And I'll be nicer to Californians...
    Joel

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cressjl View Post
    It's so easy to write something that is not read the way I intended. Satire is certainly something that can be misread (as I was intending), and can be less than appreciated, too.

    But you are definitely a good man, Mick, so no offense was taken by me! And I'll be nicer to Californians...
    Thank you for that. Re Californians, remember we did look after Big Boy for many years, kept him warm and dry.....................

    Mick

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States of America, ill, Rock Island
    Posts
    517

    Default

    a article about a living one still going at young age of 105

    http://wqad.com/2017/12/16/retired-r...05th-birthday/
    Modeling Ho scale on the cheap

    GT 440 2 meg

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy559 View Post
    That's why there needs to be more young people getting into actually working on these machines. Im 25 and the youngest train crew member where I work. The next youngest is in his 30's already, and the numbers just keep going up.
    Unfortunately, the very nature of some places drives them away. I know a guy that volunteers with a steam railroad place and their CMO started complaining that the new volunteers aren't dedicated, don't have passion, etc. One young volunteer is a full-time student at a major university. Another is a mechanic and my friend doesn't know what the third one does. One person was treated so badly that he quit. The guy I know was volunteering one night when one of the older volunteers almost shoved him towards a pile of ash and told him to grab a shovel and figure out a way to get the forklift unstuck. Another older volunteer started cussing out the younger ones when they tried helping out with reinstalling number boards. He has stories for days about the issues there. And apparently the volunteers are still wondering why they can't get younger volunteers involved.

    I love seeing steam as much as the next guy, but some of these places need to understand that young people are doing a lot in their lives right now and can't always dedicate every waking moment to the steam railroad like the older volunteers, most of which are retired. It isn't fair to want young people and then treat them badly.
    Current Project: BC Rail Harvorview Subdivision

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Antarctica, Vostok Base, South Pole, AQ
    Posts
    17,302

    Default

    A person who joins the Service doesn't get to fly a plane for 7 years ... People do pass away, as will most steam locos pass away, as the several millions dollars cost to keep each one going, will go up, and up, as a rustbucket boiler will explode if not torn down completely, and be completely rebuilt from the ground up ... Insurance may cause most locomotives not to operate in the next 25 years

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Well cressjl you really and in passingly made me smile. My country (GB) is an awful lot smaller than yours and our steam railway preservation lines run by supporters is hard to beat with so many!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •