Thread: We are losing Engineers like this Engineer day by day . . .

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Default We are losing Engineers like this Engineer day by day . . .

. . . and the knowledge of how to maintain and run steam locomotives. In 2016, when this video was made, Howard Borovec was eighty-nine years old, and remembers running Chehalis-Centralia's 2-8-2 #15, who turned 100 that year, in revenue service. People like him, who had first-hand experience maintain and running steam locomotives are disappearing quickly, and with them is the knowledge needed to maintain and run those steam locomotives so that they may continue to amaze, fascinate, and get people interested in trains, like those steam locomotives did to him when he was a kid.
    Duct tape fixes all problems in Trainz

That's why there needs to be more young people getting into actually working on these machines. Im 25 and the youngest train crew member where I work. The next youngest is in his 30's already, and the numbers just keep going up.
    Will Champion

I find it amazing that steam engines are even allowed to run the rails in the United States at all, given the rampant environmentalism that has been effectively shutting down all uses of coal. And of course, we know that steam locomotive are know by the state of California to cause cancer simply by listening to their lonesome whistles whine...

As for new engineers, though, I think the U.S. is a lot safer than a lot of other countries in keeping the heritage alive, as long as we are allowed to run 'em...
    Joel

United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Quote Originally Posted by cressjl View Post
    I find it amazing that steam engines are even allowed to run the rails in the United States at all, given the rampant environmentalism that has been effectively shutting down all uses of coal. And of course, we know that steam locomotive are know by the state of California to cause cancer simply by listening to their lonesome whistles whine...

As for new engineers, though, I think the U.S. is a lot safer than a lot of other countries in keeping the heritage alive, as long as we are allowed to run 'em...
    Don't make jokes about cancer, it isn't funny.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Berg View Post
    Don't make jokes about cancer, it isn't funny.
    Mick
    Hmm...Trying to see the joke. I can't find any. Considering I battle cancer every day, I suppose I could crack a joke or two if I wanted to. Perhaps you should lighten up and reread my post?
    Joel

Hmm...Trying to see the joke. I can't find any. Considering I battle cancer every day, I suppose I could crack a joke or two if I wanted to. Perhaps you should lighten up and reread my post?
    Sure. I over-reacted. Sorry. I've been there too so I'm over-sensitive.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Berg View Post
    Sure. I over-reacted. Sorry. I've been there too so I'm over-sensitive.
    Mick
    It's so easy to write something that is not read the way I intended. Satire is certainly something that can be misread (as I was intending), and can be less than appreciated, too.

But you are definitely a good man, Mick, so no offense was taken by me! And I'll be nicer to Californians...
    Joel

It's so easy to write something that is not read the way I intended. Satire is certainly something that can be misread (as I was intending), and can be less than appreciated, too.

But you are definitely a good man, Mick, so no offense was taken by me! And I'll be nicer to Californians...
    Thank you for that. Re Californians, remember we did look after Big Boy for many years, kept him warm and dry.....................

Mick