Introducing myself (again) and Rocktown my first layout

AlinS91

(Still writing this, the forum ate my content)

76101296:avatar_large.jpg

Hi, I'm Alin S. from Chicago, I am 26 and just got Trainz ANE two days ago.

I could bore everyone with a long and drawn out introduction but alas I don't have the patience in my mind for all this writing.

Put simply the forum ate my well thought out introduction and socked it away somewhere inaccessible, thanks vBulletin you're a real piece of work.

I'll come back and edit this later on to make it a better introduction, but now let's just get to the fun stuff.

I'm building a layout!
untitled.png

This is Rocktown, it's a small city type thing that I am building. It will have some warehouses and factories.

I plan to have the following.

1.A small factory and industrial area - I have the industrial area and housing "projects" finished here.
2. A nice section of track encased in tons of various trees
3. At the end of that track section a small neighborhood of American cottages
4. A long rail line to a bustling metropolitan area of factories and offices.
5. A few heavy industrial areas

I plan to make this into a fully playable game scenario, but I have no idea how to do that.

It's not designed to look perfect, I want it to look like a model someone cheaply made in their basement as a hobby.

I enjoy receiving feedback and or criticism. I especially would enjoy if people discuss the layout with me and help me build it.

Thanks for looking. :)

I am releasing it freely on DLS, I have not received the link for the 1.0 edition, here's a picture of that over on the T:ANE Gallery

http://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=50759

This current edition will be uploaded tonight.

Last edited:
Congratz on your first route and thanks for sharing.
I'm looking forward to see what you've done.

Bob

Welcome to the forums and to Trainz AlinS91.

I'm glad to see you're having fun with Trainz which is what we're supposed to do. Your route is a great start and not unlike those that many of us have built when we first started in the hobby oh, so many years ago, which for me is 14 years this month!

My first route started as a small 4-baseboard core grew up to a massive route which still exists today. May the hobby hold your interest that long as well and this route you have created become the core of a bigger route going forward.

Welcome to Trainz Simulator! Where your only a click away from fun trains! :p Glad to see you've joined the trainz fun.

You're doing OK, start as you have by keeping it small and simple then as you gain confidence and ability, extend and increase the complexity. Don't try doing everything at once because Trainz does have it quirks and it doesn't always work as perhaps you might think it should. However a degree of perseverance, as much imagination as you can muster, patience, and at times a sense of humor can produce some very impressive results. Unfortunately at times Trainz can be equally exceedingly frustrating but try not to give up, take a break, enjoy another interest and try again another day. Good luck. Peter

Howdy;
Keep up the the good work. Look forward to seeing your progress on the route your building.

Textrain :D

Hi Alin --

Welcome to Trainz. For a first effort that certainly looks much better than anything I produced.

One comment - for better curves I'd certainly suggest using a curve template. My favourite is "90d_100-400m Template" from the Download Station. It will make the curves look much better.

If you want to make that little route look like a basement model railroad the definitive guide is this video:

Once you get the hang of it I'm sure that you will be uploading layouts like this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ot-The-Mann-Phrom-Laramee-quot-model-railroad

Once again, welcome,
Phil

One comment - for better curves I'd certainly suggest using a curve template. My favourite is "90d_100-400m Template" from the Download Station. It will make the curves look much better.

I'd recommend prjindgo's 'FT' series of track. 'FT' stands for 'Fixed Track' they are just like the sectional track we built our [real] model railroads with, complete with straight and curve tracks in different lengths and radius curves. They too are also on the Download Station.

Been away from the forums a bit, winter depression is kicking my butt!

First and foremost my responses to all of you good guys, thanks for replying. :)

December 6th, 2017, 03:14 PM
BobbyB
Congratz on your first route and thanks for sharing.
I'm looking forward to see what you've done.

Bob​
Thank you Bob, today I am going to be posting a new screenshot and as promised the DLS link for the 1.0 version. I would have done it earlier but I am struggling with depression, winter stinks!

December 6th, 2017, 03:47 PM
JCitron
Welcome to the forums and to Trainz AlinS91.

I'm glad to see you're having fun with Trainz which is what we're supposed to do. Your route is a great start and not unlike those that many of us have built when we first started in the hobby oh, so many years ago, which for me is 14 years this month!

My first route started as a small 4-baseboard core grew up to a massive route which still exists today. May the hobby hold your interest that long as well and this route you have created become the core of a bigger route going forward.
When I saw Trainz I saw it as the easiest way for me to go into model railroading. There is no way I could afford all of these models and making a model railroad in an apartment is not exactly an undertaking I am particularly interested in. Just like you I hope to have this layout be a living piece of artwork that will become better over time. I'd rather get the general idea out of my head and modeled and then go back and tweak the little details later on. It's also easier on a computer to jump around from task to task on the layout. You can't teleport from one end of the table to the other and start laying track with F2 in real life if you are tired of working on the roads.

Imagine being able to 3D print a layout from this software *drools*

December 6th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Zeldaboy14
Welcome to Trainz Simulator! Where your only a click away from fun trains! :p Glad to see you've joined the trainz fun.​
Thank you Zeldaboy14, I had to, otherwise I'd be in a billion dollars of debt trying to build a giant model railroad.

December 6th, 2017, 08:24 PM
wilts747
You're doing OK, start as you have by keeping it small and simple then as you gain confidence and ability, extend and increase the complexity. Don't try doing everything at once because Trainz does have it quirks and it doesn't always work as perhaps you might think it should. However a degree of perseverance, as much imagination as you can muster, patience, and at times a sense of humor can produce some very impressive results. Unfortunately at times Trainz can be equally exceedingly frustrating but try not to give up, take a break, enjoy another interest and try again another day. Good luck. Peter​
My main qualms is with the asset picker, the previews are way too small. So my workaround is I open the Asset Manager from the T:ANE launcher and use that to preview and manage assets from a "head end" and then I just punch it into the other asset picker, it's a very unnecessary workaround, I hope the devs in the future add a configurable asset chooser. Overall the building UI is very nice, things just need to be made larger in the selection areas. Anyhow building in this software can become tedious, I admit it, so I jump off and drive some trains. Now that my layout has a bunch of industrial stops and tons of various little parking areas it's becoming a fun layout to just move trains around on. I plan to eventually make a game on the map where you have to "Power Rocktown" by moving all of the different rail cargo and passengers across the city.

December 6th, 2017, 09:22 PM
textrain
Howdy;
Keep up the the good work. Look forward to seeing your progress on the route your building.

Textrain :D
Scroll down bud, I think you'll like the new screenshots. Will upload the new update to DLS tonight.

December 7th, 2017, 02:22 AM
philskene
Hi Alin --

Welcome to Trainz. For a first effort that certainly looks much better than anything I produced.

If you want to make that little route look like a basement model railroad the definitive guide is this video:

Once you get the hang of it I'm sure that you will be uploading layouts like this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...model-railroad

Once again, welcome,
Phil​

Thank you Phil, I think I made this layout in HO or O scale, that I do not remember. I find it very confusing that the hole digging stuff is in objects, why isn't there a terraforming panel? That said, look at my stuff in some years and we will hopefully see something like that post. Thanks for the curve template, will help with making realistic track curves in the future. At this point of where this layout stands, as long as it functions it works.​

jordon412
I'd recommend prjindgo's 'FT' series of track. 'FT' stands for 'Fixed Track' they are just like the sectional track we built our [real] model railroads with, complete with straight and curve tracks in different lengths and radius curves. They too are also on the Download Station.
I looked up his username and I wasn't able to find him, can you drop his KUID?

--- END REPLIES ---

Alright, here's some new screenshots of what is going up on DLS right now. Please note that the current version HERE - https://www.auran.com/planetauran/YC_preview_viewasset.php?AssetID=490563 has a bug in the track at the station, please do NOT stop at the station, if you do you will not make the curve! Avoid carrying the passenger cars in this one. This bug is fixed in the 2.0 release that is being uploaded.

(click for big picture)

I'm doing final testing on it and will upload and post the link once they process it.

Testing note: Cargo junction 15870 speed limit is 10 but do not enter the junction at less than 3 or you will stall, if this happens detach all cars and try to move, but no guarantees, you may have to pick up the train and move it off of the junction. This junction is scheduled to be reviewed in the next update.

Last edited:
Welcome to the magnificent world that is Trainz. For a first time route, that is a good start. Not all routes need to be pristine and prototypical. Sometimes the best routes are loose and easy. Have fun with the sim.
~Jessica

prjindgo => prjindigo ...

- goto Manage Content
- select filter -> custom
- filter -> installed = false
- click Author Username (= sort alphab)
- scroll to prjindgo
- select rightclick: download asset FT ............

good luck and have fun
grtz
daveric

Welcome to the magnificent world that is Trainz. For a first time route, that is a good start. Not all routes need to be pristine and prototypical. Sometimes the best routes are loose and easy. Have fun with the sim.
~Jessica

Thanks, I kind of like the semi-realistic stylization. It's more of just me creating whatever in the gigantic inventory of assets "feels right"

It's my very first layout, so I expect it to be the results I'd get in real life with tons of money and models. It feels slapped together because it WAS slapped together!

I tend to follow the same technique in all simulation games and building games. Slap it together and pay attention to the little details of realism later on when I don't have a zillion ideas wanting to get out of my head.

prjindgo => prjindigo ...

- goto Manage Content
- select filter -> custom
- filter -> installed = false
- click Author Username (= sort alphab)
- scroll to prjindgo
- select rightclick: download asset FT ............

good luck and have fun
grtz
daveric

Thanks daveric! He has some very nice locomotives, I'm going to have a lot of fun reskinning these.

I just skinned a old postal service boxcar with the old seal. I'm going to put it on the DLS, it's my very first reskin so the emblem is just sitting affixed to the side of the car as though it were a giant vinyl decal. I'd like to figure out how to texturize it so it looks more like it was heat transferred paint.

I might be able to better do this in Photoshop on my Macintosh. GIMP is a very, very, clunky program, I get what the dozens of techies were whining about at the last photography conversation.

Screenshots will be in my next post with the current version of the map on DLS.

(click for big picture)

https://www.auran.com/planetauran/YC_preview_viewasset.php?AssetID=491235 - Rocktown version 2.0 is now available on the DLS

Coming soon 3.0 version with US Postal service skinned boxcars. Those too are going on DLS.

Screengrabs here.

(click for big picture)

The logo looks like a big vinyl decal, I have no idea how to make it more like it was heat transferred paint, but it looks okay to me for being my first reskin job I slapped together in 10 minutes, in something as clunky as GIMP!

Did you ask for permission from the author of the content reskinned by you before uploading to the DLS ?

Did you ask for permission from the author of the content reskinned by you before uploading to the DLS ?

Took down the postal car mod till I get the author of the original to reply. For now I found a nice looking SD40 in a green/orange peel colored livery that nicely matches the Empire Builder mail cars. I'm pretty happy with this consist.

At the UPS facility I have another SD40 in the same color scheme hauling a bunch of UPS railcars.

I'll be uploading a new copy of the Rocktown map to DLS sometime tonight or tomorrow, depends on how sleepy I get working on it. :p

Updates will include:

Addition of some track (maybe)
Finish placing trucks at the USPS and UPS facility
Add some trees behind the USPS and UPS facilities
Fill in empty plots, especially near big offices

Last edited:
Spline models - grr

Alright, I can't be the only one who wants to bitch about the spline models.

The spline models are way too finicky about the straightness, if I am trying to make a long fence and then make a 90 degree turn, it's just not happening.

Just know that the fence at the postal facility is a federal offence.

http://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=51253

I'm sure there's a better way to do a good fence. Anyone have tips for good fences?

Going to bed, but first, a screenshot

Updates will include:

Addition of some track (Not tonight)
Finish placing trucks at the USPS and UPS facility (Done)
Add some trees behind the USPS and UPS facilities (A few are done, it's not finished)
Fill in empty plots, especially near big offices (Added a few, not finished)
Added fences between USPS and UPS building (Splines are not smooth looking I know, need to figure out how to do better fences)
Added two SD40s with mail & UPS consists respectively behind each facility (Done)
Added electronic scrolling signs to the stations for some high tech flair (Done)

It's waiting to process onto DLS and I will have a link edited onto this post soon!

Night everyone!

--- Link as promised! ---
https://www.auran.com/planetauran/YC_preview_viewasset.php?AssetID=491314

Last edited:
Rocktown V4.0

Update 4 of the Rocktown layout is being worked now.

Update 4 notes: (will be edited many times)

Added fire hydrants at realistic locations as far as my mind sees them. Gotta have hydrants in case of a fire :p (Done)
Added street lamps (Done, pain in the butt!)
Filled in empty plots (Done, mostly, some new buildings)
Added trees behind UPS & USPS (Rough plant done)
Added rough terraforming (Will polish in next update if I feel its necessary, it looks good as is)
Added ATLS Crossings to roads (Waiting for input from community) (Does anyone know of a single track ATLS crossing asset on DLS?)

Progress Screenshot - Hydrant @ the gas station

Final screenshot before upload to DLS:

DLS link will be posted tomorrow

Last edited:
Thanks, I kind of like the semi-realistic stylization. It's more of just me creating whatever in the gigantic inventory of assets "feels right"

It's my very first layout, so I expect it to be the results I'd get in real life with tons of money and models. It feels slapped together because it WAS slapped together!

I tend to follow the same technique in all simulation games and building games. Slap it together and pay attention to the little details of realism later on when I don't have a zillion ideas wanting to get out of my head.
Besides, if we wanted realism to the extreme, we'd get Train Sim by Dovetail (which I own because I like both simulators) and MSTS. Trainz has realism too, but it's more loose with it, and I prefer that for TRS, as opposed to TS or MSTS.

Back