Tennessee & Eastern Railway

Thanks. The yard is pretty much done at this point. No actual yard tbh. The tracks in the forground are for stopping trains and switching out engines for the climb up the mountain to either skeeters creek or to Harriman.

Where might the roundhouse and shops/transfer table be available? If they are available that is.

Roundhouse and turntable are by don49plm and arent for release yet as far as I know.

What do you suppose are the colors of those switch machine lanterns ... I commissioned a whole bunch of them by UP8328

9534098749_5215310841_b.jpg

The engines appear to be NYC so Id start a search for that region.

A quote from Pwares thread........

From memory it took several months to create the landform contours in Trainz (TS12 it was back then) for the 47 mile (75 km) line and surrounding baseboards in the Fingal Line. It was not a copy/paste from Google Earth I used but a very slow and tedious method involving measuring out a grid pattern on the Google Earth images and recording the heights along the grid lines, then reproducing the same grid lines and heights with track splines on the Trainz layout and bringing up the terrain to match the height. I will not be using this method again - life is too short.

The program I will be using for my next project will probably be TransDEM, a commercial (or payware) program and is available at http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeU...ansDEMEngl.htm but be warned, it is a very complex program. It can take data from a number of different sources, such as satellite mapping services, and convert it into a Trainz layout, complete with track if you want. I used it some time ago and succeeded in getting it to create a small layout for me but it takes a lot of time and practise to master. There are some excellent tutorials at the web site (above) but you need to have the time to work through them.

But no matter which method you use, an accurate layout of a real train line takes a lot of time, and the longer the line the longer it takes. Then you have to add the ground textures and the scenery to make it look as authentic as possible - that can take as long as modelling the landforms.

From memory it took several months to create the landform contours in Trainz (TS12 it was back then) for the 47 mile (75 km) line and surrounding baseboards in the Fingal Line. It was not a copy/paste from Google Earth I used but a very slow and tedious method involving measuring out a grid pattern on the Google Earth images and recording the heights along the grid lines, then reproducing the same grid lines and heights with track splines on the Trainz layout and bringing up the terrain to match the height. I will not be using this method again - life is too short.

The program I will be using for my next project will probably be TransDEM, a commercial (or payware) program and is available at http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeU...ansDEMEngl.htm but be warned, it is a very complex program. It can take data from a number of different sources, such as satellite mapping services, and convert it into a Trainz layout, complete with track if you want. I used it some time ago and succeeded in getting it to create a small layout for me but it takes a lot of time and practise to master. There are some excellent tutorials at the web site (above) but you need to have the time to work through them.

But no matter which method you use, an accurate layout of a real train line takes a lot of time, and the longer the line the longer it takes. Then you have to add the ground textures and the scenery to make it look as authentic as possible - that can take as long as modelling the landforms.
Oh okay then. Just curious.

Not to mention all the steamers I have to make along with some rolling stock.

that 2-8-2 looks great, just the type of stem engine for those brutal mountain grades on the line.

Unfortunately. The 2-8-2s worked between Nashville - Memphis, Nashville - Louisville. Not powerful enough to haul the trains up the mountain, that requires at minimum; three articulateds.

understood, but that is a nice Western Maryland influence
looking mike and what better railroad for it to work on than yours.

By the time my railroad came into existance. Thomas Jefferson was long since dead. The class names I choose are not political.

Last edited:
rnuPnfC.jpg

Textures on the engine are complete. Next is the wheels and animation then in game it goes then on to the tender.

Last edited:
Back