Will be updating my layouts

We seemed to have diverged a bit from what I intended here in this thread, although I am finding that it is a good discussion.

The strategy I intend to use:

Currently I have 14 layouts that are TANE specific versions and all of which have ProTrack. I also have TRS2012 specific versions also of those same routes and they don't have ProTrack.

It will be the TANE specific versions that I will basically clone and turn into separate TRS2018 versions assuming that I don't find that I have too much of the old content on those routes which is no longer functional under TRS2018 to make it practical. As I produce TRS2018 specific versions of each layout I will no longer provide tech support for the older versions.

This strategy is basically the same one I used when I went from TRS2012 to TANE. Keeping separate TRS2012 specific versions and allowed for some backward compatibility for those choosing NOT to move to TANE at the time. It turned out to be fairly successful although a bit of a pain to implement, as content for the TANE versions had to be changed (mainly the track). I expect the same will happen here although it may turn out to be much more work in the end.

I have never been happy with the available sub-par 2D ground textures and moving to 3D textures, something I recommended years ago to N3V, is a big move and a good one. The devil of course will be in the implementation details.

The big problem will of course be HOW MUCH of the older content will be found to be no longer functional under TRS2018, and how difficult in practice fixing that content will be.

Bob

Oh, one other thing as well. I will be closing down my personal website sometime in May of 2018, or there about's, which means that I will no longer be having screen shots of any kind for my layouts in my various layout support threads in this forum.

FYI my website originally established as a eBook support website for a professional reference eBook I authored years ago but no longer feel I need as that eBook has aged. I was also using that website to support my Trainz hobby screenshots as well but feel I can't justify continuing to maintain that site at the cost of several hundred dollars simply to support Trainz screenshots.

I really wish that N3V would provide digital screenshot image storage as Steam does for its third part content builders.

Bob

Oh, one other thing as well. I will be closing down my personal website sometime in May of 2018, or there about's, which means that I will no longer be having screen shots of any kind for my layouts in my various layout support threads in this forum.

FYI my website originally established as a eBook support website for a professional reference eBook I authored years ago but no longer feel I need as that eBook has aged. I was also using that website to support my Trainz hobby screenshots as well but feel I can't justify continuing to maintain that site at the cost of several hundred dollars simply to support Trainz screenshots.

I really wish that N3V would provide digital screenshot image storage as Steam does for its third part content builders.

Bob

The cost is quite an understandable justification for terminating that service. :)

There was some discussion about this sometime ago, and the conclusion is we can always use the Trainz Wiki for route information as well. Maybe a Wiki-page could be setup for route information and anyone who wants to include route-related images and documentation and upload their documents there. (I confess I have no clue how this is done).

Based on what I have seen so far coming out of N3V I intend to adapt and update my layouts to the new realistic "turf" and other scenic standards when the new version of Trainz 2018 eventually comes out with those tools.

At this point my only concern is if the new turf grass and weeds will be able to reflect seasonal changes as almost all of my layouts are seasonal. Anyone know the answer here?

Bob (AKA MSGSapper)
Hello Bob! :) Ecstatic to hear you'll be updating your most prolific number of routes to "TRS 2018" standards, and will be making great use of its unique toolbox -notably TurfFX- in this monumental endeavor! :udrool: But I'm not at all surprised; you've always been one for progress! Your work will be among the best examples of what can be done to ALL our routes w/ this new technology. Hope you're well, and [... as I had already let on] will enthusiastically be lookin' forward to these grand changes! :)

Last edited:

Bob

Bob
Why not just use the Trainz Gallery for your screenshots.

Ken

You can upload your images from inside TANE directly to the Trainz Gallery.

In TANE, just press print-screen as you were used to. They are stored inside a folder "somewhere" in TANE, but that is no longer needed to know.
In TANE, go to that icon of a tiny piece of film. If you click on that, you get an overview of the screenshots you took. You can now add or remove text related to them.

Here are the instructions to get the screenshots visible on the forum:
---

These instructions assume you have recently uploaded the image to the gallery.

Instructions for doing it in Chrome:
  1. Go to http://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/
  2. Hover your mouse over the image and click on "FULL IMAGE"
  3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy image address"

Instructions for doing it in Internet Explorer:
  3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Properties"
  4. Copy the address listed behind "Address: (URL)"

Instructions for doing it in Firefox:
  3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy Image Location"

Instructions for doing it in Edge:
  3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy"

If you did not recently upload your image, click on "Search Media" and do a search on "Created by username".

---
... and I think I once posted I should turn this into a sticky somewhere. I probably should do that soon :) .

Last edited:

Here are the instructions to get them visible on the forum:
---

Instructions for doing it in Internet Explorer:
  3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Properties"
  4. Copy the address listed behind "Address: (URL)"

Instructions for doing it in Firefox:
  3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy Image Location"

Instructions for doing it in Edge:
  3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy"

If you did not recently upload your image, click on "Search Media" and do a search on "Created by username".

---
... and I think I once posted I should turn this into a sticky somewhere. I probably should do that soon :) .

@Oknotsen

Very helpful, but a bit more detail on what happens next might be required. Click on the 'insert image' button at the top of the reply box, then paste the code into the box that appears. Simply pasting directly into the message will give a clickable link, rather than the image itself.

R3

In TANE, just press print-screen as you were used to. They are stored inside a folder "somewhere" in TANE, but that is no longer needed to know.
In TANE, go to that icon of a tiny piece of film. If you click on that, you get an overview of the screenshots you took. You can now add or remove text related to them.

Here are the instructions to get the screenshots visible on the forum:
---

---

Thanks for your help on this and for the information/instructions. BTW I got your private message, which I replied to as well.

Based on this I will make use of Trainz Gallery for my screenshots. That will help me a lot.

It may be a bit before I transfer the images because of the holidays.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bob

Hello Bob! :) Ecstatic to hear you'll be updating your most prolific number of routes to "TRS 2018" standards, and will be making great use of its unique toolbox -notably TurfFX- in this monumental endeavor! :udrool: But I'm not at all surprised; you've always been one for progress! Your work will be among the best examples of what can be done to ALL our routes w/ this new technology. Hope you're well, and [... as I had already let on] will enthusiastically be lookin' forward to these grand changes! :)

Thanks for the very kind words!

I like to keep my layouts up-to-date with the current technologies and on the cutting edge. I also am committed to taking advantage of new technologies that make the look even better then they already are.

BTW changes to my layouts will be confined primarily to the scenery and of course replacing/fixing broken content. The track layout should remain the same.

I am also toying with the notion of expanding a few of my layouts (CCLE and Progressive for instance) but I'll have to see how it goes when I begin the updating process for all the layouts.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bob

Thanks for the very kind words!

I like to keep my layouts up-to-date with the current technologies and on the cutting edge. I also am committed to taking advantage of new technologies that make the look even better then they already are.

BTW changes to my layouts will be confined primarily to the scenery and of course replacing/fixing broken content. The track layout should remain the same.

I am also toying with the notion of expanding a few of my layouts (CCLE and Progressive for instance) but I'll have to see how it goes when I begin the updating process for all the layouts.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bob
You're "toying with expanding a couple of" your routes... !!! The Cattaraugus Creek & Lake Erie" as a possible candidate! I was ecstatic just lookin' forward to your changes to scenery (with this proposed innovative toolbox); EXPANDING will be the proverbial icing on the cake! :udrool:

May you have the Merriest of Christmas' and a most PRODUCTIVE (and healthy), New Year as well, Bob! :)

Last edited:
Hey Bob... Crazy that you live in Harrison as I reside in nearby Mountain Home. Anyways, this last weekend I was looking through all the routes on the DLS and was intrigued by nearly everything you made. I went to attempt to DL one of them, I forget which, and it didn't seem to want to initiate. Are they all compatible with TANE SP2?

They seem really interesting.

Hey Bob... Crazy that you live in Harrison as I reside in nearby Mountain Home. Anyways, this last weekend I was looking through all the routes on the DLS and was intrigued by nearly everything you made. I went to attempt to DL one of them, I forget which, and it didn't seem to want to initiate. Are they all compatible with TANE SP2?
They seem really interesting.

It is interesting that both a major Trainz route developer (me) and a major Trainz content developer (Dave Snow from Jonesboro) both live in Northern Arkansas and have for many years.

FYI I own the latest Steam version of TANE (build 90959) and was able to load in the editor my CC&LE layout without any noted problems. Also as a test I loaded one of my CCL&LE sessions and started it running all without any visible problems. As I do not seem to be experiencing any problems I don't know what to tell you on this regarding your loading issues. These versions were TANE specific.

Question did you download the TANE specific version of the layout(s) or did you download and try to run the TRS2012 specific version(s) in TANE?

All my layouts come in both TANE and TRS2012 specific versions.

Bob

Backward compatibility is important when running older versions of layouts and sessions in the new available products.
Suggest that with the older Trainz layouts stuff it might be best to tweak them up in T;ANE surveyor mode, then publish on the DLS downloads with a new kuid code.

I downloaded your Indiana Western route had two faulty dependencies. Running them thru PEV's Image2TGA solve the problem. I've also replaced the roundhouse and done some work around it. I plan on rebuilding the yard, as there are some problems I see with the way it is currently, but I'm continuing onwards down the mainline. I've also renamed it 'Chicago, Cincinnati & St. Louis'.
EDIT:
Originally posted May 16th, 2016:
The Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis (CC&StL) was founded in the early 20th century and forms an 'X' shaped route, serving the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri.
The north-south route starts at Chicago, Illinois and heads southeast, passing thru Bernice, IL, La Crosse, IN, Winamac, IN, Logansport, IN, Bringhurst, IN, Frankfort, IN, Lebanon, IN, and Davis, Indiana. From here it joins the east-west route and heads east to Indianapolis, Indiana, then Richmond, IN. In Richmond, the east-west route splits off and heads on east, while the north-south route turns again southeast, entering Ohio and passing thru Evendale, OH, Norward, OH, Clare, OH, and ending in Cincinnati, Ohio. The east-west route starts in Cleveland, Ohio, and heads southwest to Bellevue, OH. There it turns due south to Crestline, OH, then turning southwest to Columbus, Ohio. The route then turns west, heading thru London, Ohio, Xenia, OH, Clement, OH, Dayton, OH, and New Paris, Ohio, before entering Indiana. Upon entering Indiana, the line turns southwest to Richmond, Indiana, where it joins the north-south route. The two routes continue west to Indianapolis, IN, then Davis, Indiana. There the north-south route splits off to the north, while the east-west route continues west thru Greencastle, Indiana, Knightsville, IN, Terre Haute, Indiana, then on into Illinois. Upon entering Illinois it passes thru Farrington, IL, then turning southwest thru Effingham, IL, Vandalia, IL, and East St. Louis, Illinois. There the tracks cross the Mississippi River into St. Louis, Missouri.
The CC&StL operates four named passenger trains, the daytime all-coach Chicago-Cincinnati Heartland Express the nighttime Chicago-Cincinnati Pullman Midnight Special, the daytime all-coach Cleveland-St. Louis St. Louis Express, and the nighttime Cleveland-St. Louis Pullman Midnight Train. The schedules of the southbound Heartland Express and the westbound St. Louis Express are set up so that they pass thru Indianapolis within an hour of each other. The schedules of the northbound Heartland Express and eastbound St. Louis Express are set up the same way. The same thing can be said about the nighttime southbound Midnight Special and westbound Midnight Train, along with the northbound Midnight Special and eastbound Midnight Train. Slower local passenger trains on both the mainline and branch lines, are only given numbers instead of names. The named passenger trains are normally pulled by the railroads fleet of 4-6-4 Hudsons, with 4-6-2 pacifics handling secondary mainline passenger trains, with 4-6-0s handling branch line passenger trains.
As for freight trains, the hot freight trains are pulled by 2-8-4s, while local mainline freights are handled by 2-8-2s, drag freights handled by low-drivered 2-10-2s, with branch line freights pulled by 2-8-0s.

Last edited:
I downloaded your Indiana Western route had two faulty dependencies. Running them thru PEV's Image2TGA solve the problem. I've also replaced the roundhouse and done some work around it. I plan on rebuilding the yard, as there are some problems I see with the way it is currently, but I'm continuing onwards down the mainline. I've also renamed it 'Chicago, Cincinnati & St. Louis'.

Obvious question: What were the two faulty dependencies?

I always encourage people to have fun with these layouts and alter them for their own PERSONAL use.

Bob

Obvious question: What were the two faulty dependencies?

I always encourage people to have fun with these layouts and alter them for their own PERSONAL use.

Bob

'Platform Wooden Low', <KUID:9:28001> by tolaris and 'Wheelstop Type SG', <KUID:70337:23003> by martinvk.
The Chicago, Cincinnati & St. Louis turns out to be direct competition with jacksonboro's Lake Erie & Western, but it's my Trainz on my computer, I can do whatever I want to on it.

Back