Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will be updating my layouts

Quote Originally Posted by MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS View Post
    This is in the NEXT version of Trainz that is coming out or TRS2018 (Trainz: Next) for clairification.
    Read....internal test build.......I'm one of the testers

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by EverTrainz View Post
    Good, to hear, but can the Turf Effects grass be used in a clutter layer brush? I'm a tad confused, in your last paragraph do you mean that the grass cleans up around the track you laid, like suggested by someone on the Dev thread?

I think GAWPO50 is part of the Dev testing team along with John.
    Sorry I was confused too by my post, Ron! lol

The tracks actually pushed through the grass with no clean up around them, which is what we want.

The grass is one of the Turf Effects from what I can tell. I'll post up some pics and maybe a video of this in action. I swapped between grass and plants as I went along.

Yes, GAWPO50 is a new member. Congrats to him for joining the team.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

I’d be interested in seeing, and your earlier statement that it is not as big a performance hit as previous versions’ grads splines is great to hear as well!
    Regards Ron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EverTrainz View Post
    I’d be interested in seeing, and your earlier statement that it is not as big a performance hit as previous versions’ grads splines is great to hear as well!
    The test build runs ok on my ancient GTX780Ti but all I've done is zoom around a demo route. Some of us are trying to figure out how to make these new textures.

Paul

Sounds perfect for ramshackle branch lines however, for you guys testing this for N3V there needs to be some method of excluding the rails on more well kept main lines. Ditto roads. This was a big issue with DTG's procedural grass textures in RW/TS, if you didn't re-paint over the affected sections everything had something of a hairy look. Hopefully this can also be extended to crops more effective than flat textures or the very linear splines.

One thing I'm not doing on my route refurb is dropping lots of splines alongside the track. Just looks too regular and artificial - even the wider versions.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

United States of America, Arkansas, Harrison

We seemed to have diverged a bit from what I intended here in this thread, although I am finding that it is a good discussion.

The strategy I intend to use:

Currently I have 14 layouts that are TANE specific versions and all of which have ProTrack. I also have TRS2012 specific versions also of those same routes and they don't have ProTrack.

It will be the TANE specific versions that I will basically clone and turn into separate TRS2018 versions assuming that I don't find that I have too much of the old content on those routes which is no longer functional under TRS2018 to make it practical. As I produce TRS2018 specific versions of each layout I will no longer provide tech support for the older versions.

This strategy is basically the same one I used when I went from TRS2012 to TANE. Keeping separate TRS2012 specific versions and allowed for some backward compatibility for those choosing NOT to move to TANE at the time. It turned out to be fairly successful although a bit of a pain to implement, as content for the TANE versions had to be changed (mainly the track). I expect the same will happen here although it may turn out to be much more work in the end.

I have never been happy with the available sub-par 2D ground textures and moving to 3D textures, something I recommended years ago to N3V, is a big move and a good one. The devil of course will be in the implementation details.

The big problem will of course be HOW MUCH of the older content will be found to be no longer functional under TRS2018, and how difficult in practice fixing that content will be.

Bob

Oh, one other thing as well. I will be closing down my personal website sometime in May of 2018, or there about's, which means that I will no longer be having screen shots of any kind for my layouts in my various layout support threads in this forum.

FYI my website originally established as a eBook support website for a professional reference eBook I authored years ago but no longer feel I need as that eBook has aged. I was also using that website to support my Trainz hobby screenshots as well but feel I can't justify continuing to maintain that site at the cost of several hundred dollars simply to support Trainz screenshots.

I really wish that N3V would provide digital screenshot image storage as Steam does for its third part content builders.

Bob

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by MSGSapper View Post
    Oh, one other thing as well. I will be closing down my personal website sometime in May of 2018, or there about's, which means that I will no longer be having screen shots of any kind for my layouts in my various layout support threads in this forum.

FYI my website originally established as a eBook support website for a professional reference eBook I authored years ago but no longer feel I need as that eBook has aged. I was also using that website to support my Trainz hobby screenshots as well but feel I can't justify continuing to maintain that site at the cost of several hundred dollars simply to support Trainz screenshots.

I really wish that N3V would provide digital screenshot image storage as Steam does for its third part content builders.

Bob
    The cost is quite an understandable justification for terminating that service.

There was some discussion about this sometime ago, and the conclusion is we can always use the Trainz Wiki for route information as well. Maybe a Wiki-page could be setup for route information and anyone who wants to include route-related images and documentation and upload their documents there. (I confess I have no clue how this is done).
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Canandensis

Thumbs up

Based on what I have seen so far coming out of N3V I intend to adapt and update my layouts to the new realistic "turf" and other scenic standards when the new version of Trainz 2018 eventually comes out with those tools.

At this point my only concern is if the new turf grass and weeds will be able to reflect seasonal changes as almost all of my layouts are seasonal. Anyone know the answer here?

Bob (AKA MSGSapper)
    Hello Bob! Ecstatic to hear you'll be updating your most prolific number of routes to "TRS 2018" standards, and will be making great use of its unique toolbox -notably TurfFX- in this monumental endeavor! But I'm not at all surprised; you've always been one for progress! Your work will be among the best examples of what can be done to ALL our routes w/ this new technology. Hope you're well, and [... as I had already let on] will enthusiastically be lookin' forward to these grand changes!
    Last edited by ClintClassic; December 4th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.

Bob
    Bob
    Why not just use the Trainz Gallery for your screenshots.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenGreen View Post
    Bob
    Why not just use the Trainz Gallery for your screenshots.
    Ken
    Not familiar with that. Details please.....

Bob

You can upload your images from inside TANE directly to the Trainz Gallery.

In TANE, just press print-screen as you were used to. They are stored inside a folder "somewhere" in TANE, but that is no longer needed to know.
    In TANE, go to that icon of a tiny piece of film. If you click on that, you get an overview of the screenshots you took. You can now add or remove text related to them.

Here are the instructions to get the screenshots visible on the forum:
    ---

These instructions assume you have recently uploaded the image to the gallery.

Instructions for doing it in Chrome:
    1. Go to http://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/
    2. Hover your mouse over the image and click on "FULL IMAGE"
    3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy image address"

Instructions for doing it in Internet Explorer:
    3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Properties"
    4. Copy the address listed behind "Address: (URL)"

Instructions for doing it in Firefox:
    3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy Image Location"

Instructions for doing it in Edge:
    3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy"

If you did not recently upload your image, click on "Search Media" and do a search on "Created by username".

---
    ... and I think I once posted I should turn this into a sticky somewhere. I probably should do that soon .
    Last edited by oknotsen; December 4th, 2017 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post

Here are the instructions to get them visible on the forum:
    ---

Instructions for doing it in Internet Explorer:
    3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Properties"
    4. Copy the address listed behind "Address: (URL)"

Instructions for doing it in Firefox:
    3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy Image Location"

Instructions for doing it in Edge:
    3. Right-mouse-click the image and select "Copy"

If you did not recently upload your image, click on "Search Media" and do a search on "Created by username".

---
    ... and I think I once posted I should turn this into a sticky somewhere. I probably should do that soon .
    @Oknotsen

Very helpful, but a bit more detail on what happens next might be required. Click on the 'insert image' button at the top of the reply box, then paste the code into the box that appears. Simply pasting directly into the message will give a clickable link, rather than the image itself.

R3

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post

In TANE, just press print-screen as you were used to. They are stored inside a folder "somewhere" in TANE, but that is no longer needed to know.
    In TANE, go to that icon of a tiny piece of film. If you click on that, you get an overview of the screenshots you took. You can now add or remove text related to them.

Here are the instructions to get the screenshots visible on the forum:
    ---

---
    Thanks for your help on this and for the information/instructions. BTW I got your private message, which I replied to as well.

Based on this I will make use of Trainz Gallery for my screenshots. That will help me a lot.

It may be a bit before I transfer the images because of the holidays.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ClintClassic View Post
    Hello Bob! Ecstatic to hear you'll be updating your most prolific number of routes to "TRS 2018" standards, and will be making great use of its unique toolbox -notably TurfFX- in this monumental endeavor! But I'm not at all surprised; you've always been one for progress! Your work will be among the best examples of what can be done to ALL our routes w/ this new technology. Hope you're well, and [... as I had already let on] will enthusiastically be lookin' forward to these grand changes!
    Thanks for the very kind words!

I like to keep my layouts up-to-date with the current technologies and on the cutting edge. I also am committed to taking advantage of new technologies that make the look even better then they already are.

BTW changes to my layouts will be confined primarily to the scenery and of course replacing/fixing broken content. The track layout should remain the same.

I am also toying with the notion of expanding a few of my layouts (CCLE and Progressive for instance) but I'll have to see how it goes when I begin the updating process for all the layouts.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bob