Article: TurfFX - the future of landscaping in Trainz

Tony, is this going to work similar to the map editor in several other games, in that, when you lay track and roads OVER the turf, the turf directly under and a few feet to either side of the track or road will vanish? If so, this will be super great!!

Hi!
It looks promising, but will these "similar feautres" be available on ATI cards too "somehow", or these features will be completely unavailable for ATI card holders?

Last edited:
Features will work on ATI although we’re still looking at implementation on the Mac

Regarding track eliminating anything else on that grid square, Trainz allows as many asset types as you want - the flexibility is yours to do with as you please. I’m sure being forced into system restrictions would not be popular.

Wow – very great!!!

I cannot wait to get this new functionality used when I create my routes.

Thank you very much for creating this new clutter mesh – I have been waiting for that so long.

I hope it will maintain season change - does it do so?

Your’s TUME

As others have said, WOW, Trainz is looking better and better. Is this limited to grass or can other things like trash be added too?

Gonna need a bigger computer.
Yeah, and we were concerned about the trees. Now we need to worry about the grass! :hehe:

Great technology... again, but it'll be back to the ol' drawing board... in a VERY big way; after importing my route over (to TRS 2018), updating and "Replacing Assets" with ALL these new things! :eek: But, do I think it'll be worth it? DARN RIGHT it'll be worth it! :udrool: We mustn't stop the wheels of progress!

Last edited:
... DARN RIGHT it'll be worth it! :udrool: We mustn't stop the wheels of progress!
As long as we don't get run over by those wheels. Have to be a pretty nimble creator to keep up with all these improvements. Can't say we didn't see this coming, what with all the noise for more realism over the years. Interesting times indeed.

Easy installation.

First look. around the tree stumps (sign Nvidia Turf effects), where the new TurfFX grass is used, at first I thought there was something alive underground that was trying to escape. But no, it was the grass moving. It all moves as one unit, a bit strange to say the least. I suppose getting individual blades to move independently might be too much for any reasonable GPU but if it could be broken into smaller blocks that could in tun be overlapped and rotated, the choreographed line dance look could be reduced.

At some of the Ground Texture, parallax / detail mapping signs, it is very nice. Hard to see any repeating texture close up. From a distance, there is a faint repetition at the 10 m grid.
At other Ground Texture Parallax signs, the grid repetition is much more evident.
The Clutter Layers also look pretty good, especially the smaller objects. The taller plants suffer a bit from being static. Those broad leaves should catch and move in a light breeze.

This looks absolutely fantastic. For me it's just beating the other simulators. I plan on getting trainz 2012 next,but I hope I can get this and the requirements for the next edition of trainz.

Keep up the good work. :)

Back