Intel Management Engine (ME) security flaw

Vostrail

Just highlighting this for those that may not be in the know. I only came across it when viewing a 'Leo Says' video on the Kitguru YouTube channel.

Basically a serious security flaw has been found in the Intel ME, which is a chipset-level operating system used on pretty well all Intel based motherboards. Fixes are being issued via the motherboard manufacturers. I checked today and Asus has already issued an update tool for my board - a ROG Maximus viii Hero alpha, which I duly ran without issue.

I recommend that everyone check regularly with their motherboard manufacturer (or OEM supplier in the case of a pre-built PC or laptop) to see if a fix has been issued and, if so, install it without delay. I would not advocate any DIY fixes that may be out there on the web unless you are 110% sure of what you are doing.

John

Edit: Here's a link to Intel's information page regarding this issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

Last edited:
Thanks Vostrail. I ran a check with Intel's downloadable software and, thankfully, my system is not vulnerable to this flaw.

Cheers

Dave

Strewth careful if using the ASus update stuff it also requires a bios update not included with the stuff downloaded, had to go messing with finding a bios file and sticking it on a USB stick, already grumbled to ASUS that their instructions are as clear as mud.
Z170p Mobo was vunerable.

Curious, no mention of a bios update requirement when I used the ASUS ME update tool. It did recommend updating the ME driver, though, which I duly did. Perhaps my bios was already at a suitable revision level.

John

Curious, no mention of a bios update requirement when I used the ASUS ME update tool. It did recommend updating the ME driver, though, which I duly did. Perhaps my bios was already at a suitable revision level.

John

For info, after running the ME Update tool it rebooted into EZFlash that said it needed the cap file to complete the bios update, Online said bios up to date but would not exit or complete, so grabbed the latest bios from ASUS stuck on a memory stick and pointed ezflash at that and that worked OK, would have been stuffed without having another PC to get the bios update with!

Looks like the tool also started a bios update which somehow got lost.....

Yes it was an old bios from 2016, I only normally update them if there is a problem.

My PC came up as not vulnerable. These days I don't mess with the BIOS unless I have some reason to think its crook.

Back