Opinions Required please.

goanna

I am in the process of buying a new computer that will both run trainz12 and trainz new era.

As the title says I would like some feed back.

Here is what I am looking at.

Acer Predator G3-710 gaming desktop.
intel i7-7700 processor
16gb ram
128gb ssd
2tb hdd
6gb NVidia GeForce gtx 1060 graphics
windows 10

Any and all comments welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Joe.

With that, you should be ready to rock & roll. Everything seems great. If you can afford the extra, see how much it would cost you to change the video card to a 1070 or 1080.

Cheers, Mac...

A gtx 1060 is sort of in the middle, it should perform well but probably not with max sliders in built up areas. I run a GTX 980 which is roughly the equivalent and I find its fine.

I might go with a 500 mb SSD since TANE runs better on one. It has lots of small files which are found faster on an SSD this doesn't affect the frame rates so much more things pop up further away.

Cheerio John

A GTX-1060 6GB will perform excellently, I have a I7 7700@4.2, 16gb ram and a GTX-1060 6GB version running max sliders at 1920x1080 and getting 30-60 Fps on my highly detailed Modified Pioneer & Freedom layout that has 29 Locos and 186 pieces of rolling stock. Smooth rolling with no stuttering using standard non SSD hard drive. Some may complain at the low end of the fps but running maxed sliders and getting this smooth performance is testament to the GTX-1060 (6gb)

Last edited:
I personally use a Falcon Northwest gaming computer. Had it for 10 years now and it's still going strong. Runs T:ANE like a charm.

Acer Predator G3-710 gaming desktop.
intel i7-7700 processor
16gb ram
128gb ssd
2tb hdd
6gb NVidia GeForce gtx 1060 graphics
windows 10

That particular model got a good review in one of the Oz PC Magazines here but the only negative point was the 128GB SDD. For some reason, Acer here in Oz is not offering it with a 256GB SDD as it is in other countries.

A GTX-1060 6GB will perform excellently, I have a I7 7700@4.2, 16gb ram and a GTX-1060 6GB version running max sliders at 1920x1080 and getting 30-60 Fps on my highly detailed Modified Pioneer & Freedom layout that has 29 Locos and 186 pieces of rolling stock. Smooth rolling with no stuttering using standard non SSD hard drive. Some may complain at the low end of the fps but running maxed sliders and getting this smooth performance is testament to the GTX-1060 (6gb)

Being a complete noob when it comes to putor stuff Railhead how are the fraps when you run this many trains on the layout or say a train comes into the yard with that many other trains sitting in the yard ?, I near on always see folks running near on empty yards so would be interested in your verdict.
Cheers Mick.

Most yards are full must of the time, most Trainz yards are empty as most computers can not run with a full yard, UP's big yard handles 10,000 cars a day.

To be honest, looks good that rig, although if you can permit it, You should buy a 1080.

p.s. This thread should be moved to the "parts & Labor" section

Being a complete noob when it comes to putor stuff Railhead how are the fraps when you run this many trains on the layout or say a train comes into the yard with that many other trains sitting in the yard ?, I near on always see folks running near on empty yards so would be interested in your verdict.
Cheers Mick.

This was my reply in #4:

"A GTX-1060 6GB will perform excellently, I have a I7 7700@4.2, 16gb ram and a GTX-1060 6GB version running max sliders at 1920x1080 and getting 30-60 Fps on my highly detailed Modified Pioneer & Freedom layout that has 29 Locos and 186 pieces of rolling stock. Smooth rolling with no stuttering using standard non SSD hard drive. Some may complain at the low end of the fps but running maxed sliders and getting this smooth performance is testament to the GTX-1060 (6gb)"

So 30-60 frames per second depending on what part of the layout is being traversed. Filled yards are at the low end, 30fps but solid without stuttering......I may try using the Geforce Experience to record some action because using Bandicam to record will cause slow down when posting to YouTube. I noticed this recording my latest EEP video which with Bandicam comes in at a little over 1 gig for 30 minutes at 1080 while if I use the Geforce Experience recording for games their is no slow down/stuttering but the trade off is the file size which for hi res 30 minutes comes to 10 gigs or 10x the size of the Bandicam file. I guess that's the tradeoff for smooth video.....

Last edited:
Back