What scale to chose?

Narua

I copied this question from a thread on the Surveyors, Ops & Engineers section that was started by bcarter on 11/26/17 where 9 questions are asked under the topic - First Layout Running, Now for Questions. I was particularly interested in #9 that I copied below. I basically have the same question. I have been using 'N' scale only because that was the scale I owned when I made an actual layout in my basement. However I'm not adverse to using HO scale for instance if there are any benefits with TANE/TMR. I believe that's what bcarter might have been asking as well but people in that thread are responding with "don't knows because they say they only model full scale". Help us out here - thanks!

9) What does choosing scale do? I chose Z scale but I'm not sure what that did for me. I couldn’t lay a 220mm radius curve for instance. I still had to convert to full scale dimensions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I did see that but I wasn't sure if the same held true with TMR. Thanks for that. So I guess I can stop using 5m grid instead of 10m as I thought the 5m grid would work better at a scale less than full scale.

The 5m grid is very useful and has nothing to do with the scale you selected.

To see the effect of that grid setting for baseboards, use your smallest brush and try painting an area on the different grids. Try the same for elevating ground.

5mm grid allows finer terrain management and texture painting.

As regards the scale choice in Trainz it's a bit of misdirection as you will always be working relative to the prototype size vs baseboard allocation. All the scale setting really does is change the length shown when you place a ruler. Height of spline points or terrain elevation is always shown as 12" to 1ft.

The 5m grid is very useful and has nothing to do with the scale you selected.

To see the effect of that grid setting for baseboards, use your smallest brush and try painting an area on the different grids. Try the same for elevating ground.

I had been using the 5m grid exclusively because of what you just described but some have said the delta between the two are not worth the extra stress on the fps rate. That said, I will continue to use the 5m.

Thanks

Back