I started a double 8 layout but I am at a loss.

JonMyrlennBailey

This is to be a classic figure 8 with a two-track system. Yes, a figure 8 with two side-by-side tracks. This will be a standard-gauge American RR but I can't seem to find the appropriate tunnels and portals for an American road two-track system at least not from built-in TS12 content. There is JR MS Lt Grey Tunnel but these have to be apart quite a ways so tunnel walls don't overlap. This asset is intended for a single track.

I am modeling in TS12.

How many feet are parallel tracks normally separated on a two-track system on American standard gauge roads? Are there any double tunnel portals and tunnel track content that would have the correct spacing between tracks?

If measured in the US, almost all tracks are equivalent to 4 m track spacing, which is four track Pennsylvania Railroad mainline set at 13 foot spacing center to center <KUID:106916:10328>

kuid_106916_10328.jpg

Last edited:
If measured in the US, almost all tracks are equivalent to 4 m track spacing, which is four track Pennsylvania Railroad mainline set at 13 foot spacing center to center <KUID:106916:10328>

kuid_106916_10328.jpg

Thank you Cascade. Now, for American-style tunnel and portal content which will accommodate such spacing for two said-by-side tracks on a RR line, please.

Last edited:
Actually I can't recall seeing much in the way of double track tunnel portals for North American loading gauge. There's some European ones by ppascal (portail on DLS) but the attachment for the lining splines is very tricky more so than normal.

I will probably forgo this double-tracked figure 8 Trainz layout I started. I just wanted to make a model to see how it would look. I am sure this can be done on a REAL physical train layout as G scale or HO scale.
I two-track tunnel system on a model railroad layout would be crafted with carpenter's tools like electric Skil saws and other things. Trainz track-laying content is not so easy to craft and architecturally engineer. Not like using a template, a dial indicator, a caliper, a level and a saw.

I had great success building a single-track figure 8 layout, mountain tunnel included, however. The single JR MS Lt Grey Tunnel track and single-track numbered tunnel portals, I used No. 5 for my tunnel, found on the Mojave Sub worked just fine for that as well as dig holes.

There is an asset on the DLS called 'PRR Tunnel 2t' or there abouts which sounds like exactly the sort of thing you are looking for.

One of my favorites are by Fred24 "Tunnel 3_1 voie" <kuid:185550:38010> it has several errors, and an unknown track kuid, (which is easily replaced and fixed, and I can help guide you trough fixing it)

Tunnel 3 without track - by rodgilfr <KUID2:82100:24000:1>
Tunnel 3 - by rodgilfr <KUID2:82100:24006:1>

Tunnelportal - by FSP <KUID:203201:5>

I rarely use a tunnel that has it's own track, and prefer to hand lay my own track right over top of the tunnels track, and I never use big block head "snap to grid" tunnels that place their own digholes

Last edited:
I found and DL a lot of 2-track tunnels from the DLS. In track and track accessories put in tunnel and you will find a whole bunch. Happy hunting.

I have a feeling Jon is after standalone tunnel portals to which can be fixed individual track splines. The problem with many of the two track tunnels available on the DLS is these follow the old Auran style so can only be placed and turned to certain angles and, as with the old 2T pieces, cannot be straightened out.

Some of the AJS tunnel portals, which can be used with digholes, splined track and separate wall/roof spline sections might squeeze a US loco through, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The US track loading gauge varies by the time when the line was built and region it was built in. Northeastern US routes, such as the B&M use 3.5 to 4 meter spacing while western roads, those built much later use a 5 meter loading gauge.

Tunnels are still a pain after all these years, sadly. I did find some nice Italian tunnels which work well. They're called Galleria and come with and without catenary.

Loading gauge is a new term to me and a quick Google of it reveals it has something to do with measurement and clearance standards on railroads. Yes, the track-laying content has to provide adequate safe clearances for the rolling stock even on a scale-model road. This is also true of automobiles, trucks and public road systems. Semis must be able to clear the decks of bridges, etc.

What I was hunting for is two-tunnel track content similar to the single tunnel track used on Mojave Sub and non-spline portals also used with those tunnels.

I wanted to build my two-track figure 8 as a model or plan for a prospective G-scale model train layout, mountain tunneling included, to see what it would look like in theory. I can probably just cut through my mountain and use a spline as concrete slab as a makeshift roof or just use dig holes into the sides of the mountain where the track enters and exits it. It wouldn't look pretty as proper portals and tunnel walls but it will illustrate the concept. I could also use wall and slab splines, for the roof, to fabricate custom square tunnels with some tedious work.

Last edited:
Jon,

Another tunnel to check-out:

<kuid2:46819:38155:1> JJS Concrete Tunnel 2 Track

You can edit the tunnel and substitute the track you want to use.

Thanks, John, BUT this tunnel is straight only. Won't conform to curves. A semi-circular section of my figure 8 is to have tunnels if I were building a real G scale layout in my garden.

Yes, tunnel content is lacking.

UNLESS there is a way to set script parameters to make this tunnel bend.....

There is a way.

You need to remove the dig-hole dependency and change from a kind tunnel to a kind track. You will then have to place your own dig-holes then fit the tunnel in over the holes and then run the tunnel how you like it.

Tunnels are not kind to us in Trainz sadly.

Of which the down side is, the asset will only work in its changed state on the user's PC. If the route is eventually distributed, anyone else will find it in the original form - with unpredictable results, unless the original asset author is happy for the changed version to be uploaded to the DLS.

You might want to look for these:

<kuid2:1854:15066:1> NSWGR cliff tunnel 4
<kuid2:1854:15064:1> NSWGR cliff tunnel 2
<kuid2:1854:15065:1> NSWGR cliff tunnel 3
<kuid2:1854:15063:1> NSWGR cliff tunnel 1

These are tunnel portals found under track-objects. I think I got them off the DLS.

Use a dig hole for your tunnel.
Use a tunnel track of your choice.
Put these over the opening to hide the hole in the hill.

The funny thing about those portals John (and they are almost ideal in terms of appearance) is that I never could find the matching track or tunnel "pipe" spline they were intended to work with.

The funny thing about those portals John (and they are almost ideal in terms of appearance) is that I never could find the matching track or tunnel "pipe" spline they were intended to work with.

That's probably why they were not used by me either though are in my content.

Hi All
The matching track, and tunnel 'pipe', are under "blue mountains" on the DLS. The following list should be all of them. The names are as they were named by the late boobless_ed, before providing them to me to upload. They were a bit of a 'get it done' project, so I must have forgotten to make the names match!

<kuid2:1854:15055:1> Blue Mountains Track JT Tunnel
<kuid2:1854:15057:1> Blue Mountains Track JT Tunnel Transition 1
<kuid2:1854:15058:1> Blue Mountains Track JT Tunnel Transition 2
<kuid2:1854:15056:1> Blue Mountains Track JT Tunnel Open
<kuid2:1854:15054:1> Blue Mountains Track
<kuid2:1854:15062:1> Blue Mountains Track Tunnel Transition 2
<kuid2:1854:15061:1> Blue Mountains Track Tunnel Transition 1
<kuid2:1854:15059:1> Blue Mountains Track Tunnel
<kuid2:1854:15060:1> Blue Mountains Track Tunnel Open

Regards
Zec

Back