What Are Some Of Your Favorite Locos or Locos Worth Mentioning?

Any locos you like over others in Trainz, T:ANE etc? I myself like the BN Cascade Green units - especially the Tiger Stripe engines. BN ran those from 1985 to 1990 but went to the White Face for visibility purposes. To each their own. Downloaded the BN GP50 Tiger Stripe engine from Jointed Rail. Man am I impressed. Such detail inside and outside of the cab. I have Trainz 2 and some of the older engines don't have Conductor Visual capacity, but this unit does. Right on. I also like the various CN units as well - both single strip and zebra stripe engines. Downloaded a CN/IC SD40-2 "website" engine and a CN C8 I believe? I have to recheck the model name. Both were dowloaded from Jointed Rail and are well done. Had a slight issue outside of the cab in the Chase Mode when my computer screen started spinning out of control, so I'm not sure what happened there, but I just clicked onto another view for the engine stopped. Hopefully that's nothing serious. Anyhow, what are some of your preferred locomotives?

Last edited:
RRmods has BN SD60 in the tiger stripe I believe. For me growing up(?) near Los Angeles it has to be the SP! The lighting packages, the filth, etc., they were special in my opinion.
Dean

RRmods has BN SD60 in the tiger stripe I believe. For me growing up(?) near Los Angeles it has to be the SP! The lighting packages, the filth, etc., they were special in my opinion.
Dean

I have the BN SD60 Tiger Stripe. Purchased it from the Trainz store. It's a pretty good unit. Yea I noticed the detail behind the SP units.

Lucky for us, my favorite got a makeover very recently. Here's before:

And after some therapy, back to being awesome... again:

Personally I like my Brass collection. I could never afford them in real life but with trainz...

:D Just wish more were available.

Personally I like my Brass collection. I could never afford them in real life but with trainz...

:D Just wish more were available.

Makes sense. I saw brass units in the store for a hefty price. Hobby shop locos in Canada/Us can cost anywhere between $120 to $280.00 per unit. A decent HO 60ft HC Boxcar runs around $70.00 or so, where on Trainz we pay $5 to $10.00. Model trains in Canada are insanely more expensive than in the US. Give it time, I'm sure Trainz will make more units available.

Last edited:
I have to mention one of my favorite locomotives from the Central of New Jersey railroad, the Blue Comet! It is actually a 4-6-2 Light Pacific.

Here is an old advertisement for the train:

images

Here is an in color photo of the train:

bluecomet.jpg

The UK collection in the S&C pack (steam and diesel) plus the additional items issued by the Railsim UK group very generously as freeware.

I have another one today and it is something rare and unusual. It is the Erie and Virginian Triplex. These locomotives were really ahead of their time because they were so large and powerful, actually too powerful! When these locomotives were first built, they tried to have them pull the railroad's coal hoppers, however, the couplers were not strong enough to withstand the strain. When the locomotive started pulling, it broke the couplers immediately. So, in the end, these locomotives always had to push their consists instead of pull them, at 5 to 10 MPH by the way!

The first photo I have of a real one is the Erie's version of the loco:

erie_p1.jpg

The second one here is the Virginan's version. You can see it is different in many ways, where the headlight is placed, etc. The main noticeable difference is the tender's rear truck. The Erie version has 2 wheels but the Virginian version has 4.

BNYN32823167.jpg

Last edited:
Back