Latest Gaming GPU Hierarchy - November 2017

PC_Ace

Hauling Heavy Pixels
Need to know how your current (or prospective) Graphics Card holds up in the competitive world of gaming?
Here's the latest Gaming GPU Guide from Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Next year (2018) looks set to be THE greatest year for gaming GPU consumers, with the competition hotting up from the re-entry of Intel into the performance GPU marketplace and new high-end GPU architectures (Volta and/or Ampere?) from NVidia.

Here are the (new) cards they currently recommend in each segment:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

Last edited:
Think my GTX980ti will hang in there for a bit longer yet, will wait and see what next year brings!

Yup - the GTX980Ti is still a terrific card that performs really well with T:ANE.
I'll be sticking with my GTX 1070 for quite a while longer too. Will likely hold out for another architecture generation and upgrade in late 2018...

re-entry of Intel into the performance GPU marketplace

Wait what? Intel's graphic stuff were never in the realm of "performance" IIRC LOL.
At any rate, I agree graphic cards are pretty incredible these days. Just bought two brand new Windforce 1070s on the cheap and now have more power than I know what to do with even with triple displays. Probably sell one for a small profit.

nicky9499 -
Wait what? Intel's graphic stuff were never in the realm of "performance" IIRC LOL.

Heh! You're right, but Intel's marketing department would have you believe otherwise!
But now with Raja Koduri switching camps from AMD to Intel to head up their Core and Visual Computing Group, they have a goal to service the high-end, enthusiast GPU market in coming years.
Just as we were rejoicing the new-found competition from AMD in recent months, this has to be great news for consumers as it increases the options available to them and will put further pressure on pricing.

My old rig is about to give up the ghost and TANE hasn't done it any favors :hehe:. I'm springing for an ROG Strix 1080ti to run in my new BFG TANE machine :eek:.

Dave

Get a 1070 or even 1080 non-ti and save yourself a big wad of cash. Unless you're running VR or triple 4K displays, these brutes are really an exercise in "too much of a good thing".

I'm starting to think about a new machine although my current rig with a GTX780Ti works fine with TANE. I intend to wait until TS18 comes along and see what it needs.

However, its nice to hear there is more competition looming.

I would certainly agree with the wish that increased competition will contain the rapidly rising cost of gaming for all involved. The gaming industry has experienced unprecedented growth over the last 5 years but that is now being threatened in the view of many analysts by the rapidly rising cost.

Overall the gaming industry is split with approximately 50% of revenue been taken by mobile gaming with the other 50% split between PC and console. However, the effects of increased costs to gamers are already being felt in both sectors as the most recent revenue trends demonstrate. The foregoing is most pronounced in the mobile sector where the sales of tablets have literally “fallen off a cliff” as consumers cut back to having one device (that being a larger screen phone) rather than owning and having to update both a tablet and phone.

The earliest revenue trends produced by Forbes for Q3 of 2017 for the PC and console gaming market, suggest that a similar “slow down” may be occurring in those markets as the increase costs of hardware begins to bite gamers pockets.

Everyone who enjoys gaming whether that be in PC, console or mobile has had a tremendous time over the last few years but rapidly increasing cost has to be addressed by the industry if that great growth trend is to continue. With the cost of a flagship phone now being well over £1000 British Sterling to buy (1300 US Dollars) and the cost of CPU, GPUs and other hardware increasing at a similar rate within PCs, more difficult times could be a head for gamers and the industry in general if not contained.
Bill

Last edited:
Back