Driving a steam loco in CAB mode - boiler pressure

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
Hi guys,

I've been messing about in CAB mode recently for the first time in ages. I had Skipper1945's J94 with a rake of coaches on the southern section of the S&C route at Skipton and was trying to head for Hellifield. I also had a few other steam engines around Skipton Station for other stuff.

I can set a train off fine and everything, but I'm finding if I stop a train completely and then try and restart, the loco's boiler pressure has dropped to 0. I also had this when simply trying to run a Fowler 3F light engine to join a train - I stopped it after about 50 yards to set some points (poor planning ahead) and then couldn't get it moving again.

Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing that's causing the boiler pressure to drop to zero so quickly?

EDIT: I've also noticed that Steam Chest pressure drops dramatically too. Is this linked?

Cheers

Last edited:
Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing that's causing the boiler pressure to drop to zero so quickly?

EDIT: I've also noticed that Steam Chest pressure drops dramatically too. Is this linked?

Cheers

Eh, zero boiler pressure = zero steam chest pressure for sure. Most steamers had this issue in 2006 but I've not seen it much in the 2012 versions. What Trainz are you running in? Have you tried other locos? I've had good luck with <kuid2:243294:100266:1> and philskene's SAR400 Beyer-Garratt in 12 and all the British locos I've tried have run well.

:B~)

Its happening in TANE also. Same locos.
My solution - very inelegant - is to delete and replace the loco.

I had the J94 on a rake yesterday on kickstarter county, I moved the BS-Lummerland Emma to somewhere around the back of the roundhouse and came back to the J94 and it had 30lbs boiler pressure and could not lift the loads.

Hi guys,

I've been messing about in CAB mode recently for the first time in ages. I had Skipper1945's J94 with a rake of coaches on the southern section of the S&C route at Skipton and was trying to head for Hellifield. I also had a few other steam engines around Skipton Station for other stuff.

I can set a train off fine and everything, but I'm finding if I stop a train completely and then try and restart, the loco's boiler pressure has dropped to 0. I also had this when simply trying to run a Fowler 3F light engine to join a train - I stopped it after about 50 yards to set some points (poor planning ahead) and then couldn't get it moving again.

Cheers

The main problem is that every time N3V bring out a new version or a new hotfix the e-specs change. The latest change that I saw was to stop the locos from blowing the safeties every few minutes, this has caused lots of older e-specs to lose too much boiler pressure. I did post to N3V about it when SP2 was released and the reply was that they would address it in the next hot fix. I have done a few e-specs for SP2 but waiting to see what happens in the next release.

Cheers,
Bill69

Hi Alex --

I have two epecs on the Download Station (one for medium sized locomotives, the other for super power) that respond well to the correct Cab Mode driving technique.

Correct driving technique:
Where ever possible, drive with the regulator fully open.
Control sped with the cut off -- if travelling too fast, reduce cut off; if too slow, increase cut off.
Add coal and water in small quantities frequently to maintain firebox and water levels.

I'd suggest downloading one of the locomotives I have on the DLS and taking it out for a trial. Search with "philskene" as the author.

This video shows a locomotive with the super power espec on one of my layouts. The trailing load is about 800 tons, maximum grades about 3%. The HUD is turned off but, rest assured, it was driven in Cab Mode (full screen / 1080p):

If one of my locomotives performs well for you, consider using that espec in the locomotives of your choice.

Tell me how you go.

Phil

Last edited:
Back