US photographers...help

I'd like to create some AASHTO-standard US roads with surface cracks, but I need photos of sufficient quality to create the textures.

In many ways, this Google Earth photo is good - it's a straight section of road, a direct top-down view, has no shadows or traffic and shows a nice selection of cracks. Unfortunately, the resolution is too low.

Are there any US trainzers out there willing to take some photos for me? Of course, I will give you full credit for the photos if I am able to use them in any assets I manage to create. If you think you can help, contact me by the forum's PM (Private Message) service in the first instance. We can email after that if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

~ Deane

Vu2qOxh.jpg

Deane, hove you considered using GE and moving to street view? You get right down on top of the pavement that way.

Bill

What you need is someone with a camera drone.

That would be ideal.

Or failing that, a bridge or some other high vantage point that allows an almost top-down view from close enough to show details. The trouble with that is you only get a limited sample of road from each viewing point and I think I'm going to need several samples to make into a randomised spline.

Last edited:
Deane, have you considered using GE and moving to street view? You get right down on top of the pavement that way.

Bill

I considered it yes, but the view is too oblique to give a good enough result (too distorted by perspective). And if you point the viewer straight down, it's just too close to show enough area and it's often blurred or corrupted in some way. So Streetview is not the answer.

Too bad you can't hack the textures used on American Truck Simulator. Their road and hiway textures are great.

I thought the same about the roads in Ghost Recon Wildlands too. Even tried getting them from screenshots but it didn't work out too well.

A kind Trainzer pointed me to some free textures on textures.com. I already had some of them, and they have added more, so I might just have to resort to them if I can't get personal photos.

Back