Forum Needs a FAQ section

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Lately I have noticed a whole new "generation" of new Trainz users posting the same questions that have been answered multiple times on this forum. Shouldn't there be a Frequently Asked Questions section somewhere here with answers to questions like Changing Road Traffic, Reskinning, Keeping Fences from Connecting when making a right angle, Changing Cab Views, etc. etc. ? I know I know, we have a "search" function, but apparently most people either don't know how to use it, or maybe they like to start new threads so they can see their username here.... I don't know. I just get tired of the same questions being asked over and over again. And I know we old timers and experienced Trainz users are supposed to be helpful, but still, it gets old sometime explaining for the upteenth time how to change road traffic.

Just a thought and I wanted to see my username on here again :hehe: ,

Dave

Concur wholeheartedly with the FAQ recommendation. The forum search engine here needs work as well. Many times, I resort to Google to try and find my answer.

Last edited:
@Davesnow
I agree with you 110% on the FAQ. I have some friends asking me this and that so having a FAQ section would be nice to see.

@jbazter19464
Agree on that. Search results don't come close to what you were searching for to begin with....

This is a great idea, I have often searched and found that this forum has become very cluttered over the years and it takes a very long time to read through it to find the information I am looking for, and as Dave states, it's common questions that should be in some sort of FAQ. Some time I search Google to find the stuff on this forum as it gets the answer faster. The search function on this forum is a little lacking IMO.

... but who would actually use a FAQ section? It would be a bit like geeks opening a manual:)

The big problem I find with FAQ sections is that the phrasing of the questions that are presented as "frequently asked" seldom (if ever) matches the phrasing that I would use and this often results in a fruitless search.

I agree, the search function in the vBulletin web software really does need some work - but this would have to come through the software vendor, not N3V.

Or more likely to happen, a link to an FAQ web page somewhat better organised than the current dare I say mess?

The danger with using the forum is unless it's locked the info will get buried with the drivel that spoils many threads.

A section how to use a forum and one on internet etiquette would be useful.

See above. Just below the logo. There is a wiki. MediaWiki searches every word in every article which is about as thorough as it can get. All it needs is for people to mine the forums for wisdom and write articles. Then the first response could be: "Did you search the wiki?"

Just a thought.

Back