Lights at night

bmheron

So why do some of the coaches with interiors not light up at night? Is it that hard to add? some of them even show lights on from the outside but when I go inside its dark? And I'm talking about the Blue Comet coaches and dining car, the PRR Fleet of Modernism observation car. Also same with the locomotives. Didnt think this happened in TRS12 but could be wrong. Seems like such a simple thing to build or maybe even a config

It is because the person that made the asset did not make that feature when they made the asset. You could clone the asset then add that feature if you wanted... Not all assets are created equal.

Although this may have been fixed by now, in some cases (in TS2009SP2) a train or locomotive with interior lights properly set up, in its "lamp on" time zone, would still not light up until it either got the focus or was assigned a driver. This was relatively rare and of short duration - probably not causing what the OP is (not) seeing.

In TS12 when you entered a carriage (camera 1) in one suitably enabled the interior was illuminated. However to my knowledge this has never worked in TANE.

Ken

Last edited:
Thanks yea this is frustrating and strange. All of my assets, I believe, are created by NV3. How can you enjoy driving a train at night when the cab is pitch dark??

All of my assets, I believe, are created by NV3.

Unless you're only running the original Trainz, than that's not true. The majority of assets in any version of Trainz TRS2004 or newer are user-made. Auran/N3V just pre-installed them for you.

peter

Unless you're only running the original Trainz, than that's not true. The majority of assets in any version of Trainz TRS2004 or newer are user-made. Auran/N3V just pre-installed them for you.

peter

Interesting, had no idea. thanks for clarifying. Im amazed this isnt a bigger topic here. Or maybe people just found a way to fix it. Cloning sounds like a task. is there a way to open the asset and update its config? do people not run alot at night?

If you look at the kuids of stuff installed. Things made by Auran/N3V start with a "-" so something like <KUID:-1:23454>

Let me piggy-back on the subject of night lights. If you use MP-Tunneltrack, 2:46162:38013:14, inside of a tunnel (just superimpose the track to the existing one and connect to your surface tracks), you will see that the train switches lights ON as soon as you enter the tunnel or the loco is over this track. Then they go OFF as you exit. Wonderful magic. Problem is that the beam of light is very saturated and looks horrible. At the same time if you run the train at night you get the same. Possibly is my settings? and if so, how can they be changed? Old times we had gamma correction but nowadays we have what we get. Gamma would not correct saturation. Another sticking point rarely mentioned is the time of day the lights go ON, and OFF in the morning. This setting does not coincide with the Sun rising or setting. Is it so hard to make it adjustable? As per the origin of this thread, I remember reading somewhere that cabin lights could be made to switch ON or OFF and they would be more pleasant. Time ago, they were bright at night, today is much better but not realistic. I think is up to creators to make it realistic, illuminate the dials and very dim around, leaving the beam of the loco to illuminate ahead (without saturation). Just my grain of salt..

Back