Route builders - How do you deal with excessive perfectionism?

Trainz, like life, is a succession of compromises. Unless, of course, you're Dave Snow and build your own objects! I think the atmosphere's the thing to achieve, not exact replication. Atmosphere is attainable.

I look at my Fond Du Lac route and wonder at all the stuff I spent time on like the backyard swimming pool
[FONT=&quot] you can't even see from the train[/FONT] because it's behind a high fence.

Right now I'm obsessed with trees. Wisconsin is all trees anywhere it isn't being plowed or mowed. And Trainz trees, especially the splines, are an issue; all the good ones that worked in 2009 are dreck in 12. So I have spent weeks trying to "perfect" my trees. At some point we have to say "Enough!" and come back later.

:B~)

Divulge a little more as to what is "frustrating you", then maybe someone can help out?
Like so many of the community we sometimes struggle unnecessarily.

I have been hard put, to find a suitable way around the transfer table and sector plate that were installed at the Snow Hill Station and Moor Street stations in Birmingham UK.
Eventually Compromised by using half a turntable, with a bridge of the wrong gauge, not ideal but it works, in the space allotted for the original turntables. Unless you get as close as a gnats knee is to the floor I doubt if it's noticed by the eventual end user.
Like wise the North Signal Box at Snowhill, I compromised, my depiction is not accurate but certainly gives a suitable impression of the original which is now long gone. Anybody who knew that box or has an old photograph would know my inaccuracies but then it's that or nothing as I don't have the knowledge to make my own asset.

Returning to your problem, like that darn rabbit says "What's up Doc?"

Regards and happy hunting for the answer you need.

JP.

Thank you for trying to help, I found a compromise in the Czech Republic!
A langauge translator is useful when researching for that illusive item, translate what you are looking for into different languages and away you go!
Searching for 'tocna' and 'kolej' got me the compromise. I would like the edge a bit darker and not square, but I can overcome that with a bit of disguising.
LX_cd_tocna_28m
plus filler pieces
LX kolej 2m drevena

Thanks, Graham

Last edited:
I used to count rivets as well when I first started with Trainz. But then there's always limitations. Either of the software itself, or Blender, or more often my ability to virtual model. Then I think of what Linus Van Pelt used to say:

500 years from now, who'll know the difference?

:wave:

I am still making a route that I started ten years ago. It is a simple 5-mile long London branch line from the fifties.

I am getting less and less satisfied with built-in content, and find myself making more and more custom content for it. Of course on this basis it will never be finished!

I know I am taking perfectionism too far but that is how I get my enjoyment from Trainz.

Mick

Last edited:
I am still making a route that I started ten years ago. It is a simple 5-mile long London branch line from the fifties.

I am getting less and less satisfied with built-in content, and find myself making more and more custom content for it. Of course on this basis it will never be finished!

I know I am taking perfectionism too far but that is how I get my enjoyment from Trainz.

Mick

"A good model railroad, like a great cathedral, is never finished."

I am still making a route that I started ten years ago. It is a simple 5-mile long London branch line from the fifties....
Mick
Do you finish one small area until it's done and then move on or do you tend to jump around and work on different areas for short periods of time? If the latter, is it by single subject or random areas?

Do you finish one small area until it's done and then move on or do you tend to jump around and work on different areas for short periods of time? If the latter, is it by single subject or random areas?

Not having TransDEM, I started by roughing in the terrain and laying the main line, to get the grades correct. After that I worked from one end to the other, a scene at a time, smoothing and landscaping. With the line complete, I've gone back and worked on it topically - roads improved, trees replaced, and so on. As I run sessions, I find little items annoying me and go in and deal with them.

Back