Utilizing historic aerial photography/topographic maps in TransDEM?

Blutorse4792

Now T:ANE I can get into
Hello everyone. I've recently completed the TransDEM tutorials, and I think I've got a decent, entry-level grasp of the program.

Forgive me if this topic is covered elsewhere (and if that is the case, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction), but is it possible to use historic aerial photographs and/or topographic maps in conjunction with the TransDEM program? I have access to both photos and maps through the N.E.T.R., and I'm curious if I can either utilize that resource, or if that isn't the case, a similar one exists that is compatible with TransDEM?

A pre-emptive thank you.

It sure is quite easy to do that.

You can download the historic maps from the National Geologic Survey. They've changed the location of the maps, which are now available through the TNM downloader on their website rather than from the separate Historic Map store.

Once downloaded, the need to be converted within Trans-DEM to image files from their GEO-PDF format and then placed in TransDEM using the methods outlined in the documentation.

Though bit dated, since the file locations have changed on the NGS servers, these documents may help.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkuzBzLIoTefgYsEcHhjcpIYZhMkKQ

I'll be updating them at some point when my own schedule settles down a bit.

Thank you for the pointers, John. I have two questions before I delve into this tomorrow morning.

1) Are the maps free, or is there a fee to download them?
2) Is there a resource for aerial photography?

Thank you for the pointers, John. I have two questions before I delve into this tomorrow morning.

1) Are the maps free, or is there a fee to download them?
2) Is there a resource for aerial photography?

These maps are free.

There are also orthographic photos available as well. Look for imaging "products".

The NGS has made things somewhat more complex.

Use the TNM downloader.

Choose map extents. (default).

Choose product on left.

Click find on top.

Various images will be available for download.

It's not as easy as it once was.

Back