Forum Not Saving Log In Details

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Anyone else having issues? For the last couple of weeks every time I pay a fresh visit this board I'm having to sign in, not remaining logged in. All the other boards I visit are working fine in that respect. I've located and deleted the Auran "cookie" to force an update but the problem remains. Wonder if something has changed in how the forum software is operating, or is it a problem local to my PC/laptop?

I've remained logged in for weeks.

Are you making sure the "Remember Me?" box is checked before clicking "Log In"?
Try doing a physical "Log Out" from the forum to remove cookies and then logging in again.
What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one?
Do you use an ad blocker? I just remembered I use Ad Block Plus but have it disabled for https://forums.auran.com/

I use Firefox 56.0.2 and the latest major update did some weird things, but logging me out of the forums is not one of them.

Regards,

Andrew

Last edited:
My browser, Firefox, doesn't log me straight in, but does remember the details. I just login and get on with it.

Using Chrome 61 here and don't have any problems staying logged in.

Maybe you changed some setting related to cookies?

Likewise no problem with the login in Chrome Version 62.0.3202.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Funny how the first reflex is to blame Trainz until other causes are explored.

Funny how the first reflex is to blame Trainz until other causes are explored.

Funny how the first response from some pundits is a snarky remark... And you must be struggling to justify the vexatious comeback if you think from what I posted I was blaming Trainz (a game isn't going to affect the log-in) or as you might have meant the forum software. I was just exploring what *might* be at fault.

Anyhow in answer to the earlier points, yes I am checking save log in details which normally does the trick. Guess it is a local problem, not a deal breaker, mods feel free to lock/delete this thread if the conversation is going to continue along the lines of the previous response.

Maybe you could share with us the browser you are using?
Maybe someone knows a setting to check which you didn't check yet for that browser.

Hi Vern

I am using IE 11 also but on Win7 and have had to log in each time for a few months now.

I tick the 'Remember Me' each time also.

Have tried removing cookies but no change.

Dennis

I'm using Firefox 56.0.2 and don't seem to have any issues with the forum remembering me unless it's either crashed or lost the cookie data.

What are your cookie settings set like (and have you got any addons/extensions that may affect these)?

Shane

Using IE11 on Windows 10 64 bit - if anyone has any useful thoughts or suggestions..
Dump IE and never look back.
Windows 10 comes with Microsoft Edge, so to dump IE you don't even have to install a different browser.
I vaguely remember it can even import your bookmarks from IE.

IE is a dead end street. Except for maybe some small patches in case they find a really big vulnerability, they are not going to do any maintenance on it. Leave it behind; it was fun while it lasted.

Again, the "dump IE" suggestion skirts around the issue - curing a possible symptom rather than the cause. I've used IE throughout the last 20 years or so of having access to the web and it's a familiar, comfortable pair of boots which works well with 99.9% of everything else.

Did you consider that IE might not be the symptoms but really the cause?

http://www.ersws.com/2015/goodbye-internet-explorer/
After 20 years of walking in the same boots, you can no longer fix them. I think Microsoft came to that conclusion years ago.

Chances are some update to Windows 10 broke something in IE.
Maybe this example helps you: N3V releases a service pack, 100 bugs got fixed but one of your assets no longer works. You can do the same with Trainz as with the rest of your system; go back to a previous build. I suggest you look for a replacement asset, maybe even by the same creator.

IE started to give me trouble with various things I did, so I made the move a year ago. I personally didn't like the new boots from the same creator (Edge by Microsoft), so I switched to Chrome.

To my knowledge there has not been a software change to the website, but even if there was, it will not be the first and sure not be the last website that will give problems to IE.

imagejpeg

I have just checked. Edge no problem, IE does not remember and I have to login each time even after only a few seconds gap. I think therefore the problem lies with Microsoft; perhaps putting pressure on you to use Edge.

Again, the "dump IE" suggestion skirts around the issue - curing a possible symptom rather than the cause. I've used IE throughout the last 20 years or so of having access to the web and it's a familiar, comfortable pair of boots which works well with 99.9% of everything else.
In the above, Vern is in my humble opinion perfectly correct in wishing to retain the browser he has used for many years to access this forum. N3V already expect many of their customers to regularly update their hardware to meet each new version of Trainz. Therefore, surely it is not too much expect that N3V reciprocate the user loyalty so often demonstrated on this forum by ensuring that all the most widely used browsers remain compatible with this forum, if the problem is within N3V

If anyone wishes to suggest a different browser then the the latest version of the Chrome browser dominates the internet search with 44% use. The foregoing is followed by Safari with 25% search use, followed by Internet Explorer with 15% use.

Microsoft Edge despite more than two years of being in existence still only commands 3% of Internet browser use which many may view as another Microsoft failure.

A link to the above data can be found by following the below link:-
http://www.zdnet.com/article/chrome-is-the-most-popular-web-browser-of-all/

Bill

Last edited:
But MS will be binning IE when support for Win10 ends and are only going to provide security updates, Edge is supposed to be the ultimate in browsers or is that disasters?
Firefox will be releasing it's modified to complete with Chrome browser on the 17th, I have the beta and it's a fast browser, so that might change the league tables around given time.

IE11 is remembering the Forum passwords here, just checked several times.

If IE isn't remembering logins with this website I'd look at this?

In IE, click Tools > Internet Options > Content > Autocomplete > Settings and check the User names and passwords on forms and Ask me before saving passwords checkboxes.

It's possible with IE that the never remember passwords box has been inadvertently ticked at some point.

Hi clam1952 and everybody.
But MS will be binning IE when support for Win10 ends and are only going to provide security updates, Edge is supposed to be the ultimate in browsers or is that disasters?

Firefox will be releasing it's modified to complete with Chrome browser on the 17th, I have the beta and it's a fast browser, so that might change the league tables around given time.

IE11 is remembering the Forum passwords here, just checked several times.

If IE isn't remembering logins with this website I'd look at this?

In IE, click Tools > Internet Options > Content > Autocomplete > Settings and check the User names and passwords on forms and Ask me before saving passwords checkboxes.

It's possible with IE that the never remember passwords box has been inadvertently ticked at some point.

Clam, I am not sure that “disasters” will engulf Microsoft whatever happens to the Edge browser (LOL), I would have to state that like so many I believe Satya Nadella has done a terrific job in transforming the trading position of the Redmond Corporation since taking charge as CEO in 2014

However, in the above it has to be recognized that Nadella has completely changed (and continues to change) the main trading focus of Microsoft from the PC and laptop based operating system and productivity software producer we have always known, into a company firmly focused on a cloud based future. For those of us that use it Microsoft Azure is a superb business cloud storage system that leaves all other competition in its wake and in that now produces a very large percentage of the corporation's profits.

In the above Satya Nadella and his now very confident managerial team in all probability care little in regard to the fortunes of the Edge browser. Indeed, the Edge browser is to become available on the Android play store and is already present in beta form. Microsoft's Office 365 suite is now also available on Android, Google OS and Apple IOS with the large percentage of its sales being made within those operating systems.

The above undoubtedly demonstrates how Nadella and his team very much view the future, that being the cloud and income derived from the operating systems of others, very clever and forward looking in the eyes of investors and the city. How that leaves the windows PC operating system in the medium to long term we can only wait and see.

In regard to Vern, I can very much understand his wish to retain the use of the Windows Internet Explorer browser and why not. However, if that is not possible and in a time of great change then I would go for the latest version of Chrome as the safest bet.

Bill

Back