Pacific 4-6-2 in Main Line Freight Service

How often did railroads use the 4-6-2 for freight train assignments? I know the locomotive was configured with passenger train service in mind but how common was it for any railroad to use them on main line freight trains?

WM sometimes used their K-1 pacifics on local freights after the arrival of the K-2 pacifics in 1912 and the discontinuation of several passenger trains in the late 1920s. I can't imagine they were ideal in that capacity since they were pretty tiny.

wm160s.jpg

Last edited:
Driver size is the key!

The USRA 0-6-0 & 0-8-0 switchers had 51" drivers.

The USRA Light Santa Fe's had 57" drivers

The USRA Mikados, Light & Heavy, had 63"

Both of the USRA Mallets had 57" drivers.

The K-1's mentioned by Simulatortrain had 68" driver's.

The Virginian had a few pacifics with 69" drivers.

I'd suggest that any 4-6-2 with drivers 73" or smaller probably was used as a dual service (Passenger and Freight) engine.

Last edited:
SP pacifics were sometimes used in freight service although they were primarily used on passenger assignments right up until the end of steam. Here is a picture of SP 2483 pulling a freight near Roseville, Ca.

SP pacifics were sometimes used in freight service although they were primarily used on passenger assignments right up until the end of steam. Here is a picture of SP 2483 pulling a freight near Roseville, Ca.

I'd suggest you get your eyes checked as that engine is 2463 not 2483 and it's a P-8. 73" drivers & 25" x 30" cylinders.

Back