TMR17 owners, help me decicde my next modded P&F layout.........

Railhead001

Ok, hopefully some of you Forum readers have seen my previous posts and may have even tried my Modified Brazemore Yard layout series and recently Modified Santa Fe Needles Sub and Pioneer & Freedom layouts. I would like to get a general consensus for my next project which is either going to be an intermodal (Container /TOFC) or passenger layout for the Pioneer & Freedom....below is the layout track plan....

If we go the Intermodal route, I will have 2-3 container/tofc yards and if we go passenger the staging yard becomes home to passenger cars and MOW equipment with 3 - 4 stations scattered around the layout..............and some decent cities (want to make extremely larger cities then my Modded Brazemore Yard version)

So any feedback greatly appreciated......

RH001

The layout looks like more of a freight type than a passenger type due to the amount of sidings, looks like you could get into switching and staging. I think a passenger run would need to be a bigger layout with less sidings.

The layout looks like more of a freight type than a passenger type due to the amount of sidings, looks like you could get into switching and staging. I think a passenger run would need to be a bigger layout with less sidings.

Actually it really does not have many sidings, they are more yard style then industry which gives a lot more realism for larger passenger stations. I grew up in the NE and if you ever see pics of Philadelphia's 30th St. station you know that they have plenty of yard space...here's a pic:

Serves both Amtrak and Septa rail service. It could be a very interesting passenger layout....

Last edited:
I think I would like a passenger type layout. It would bring a little more balance to the routes available for TMR17.

Bob

Actually it really does not have many sidings, they are more yard style then industry which gives a lot more realism for larger passenger stations. I grew up in the NE and if you ever see pics of Philadelphia's 30th St. station you know that they have plenty of yard space...here's a pic:

My reply was for the type of layout given, a TMR17 layout which is small to start with. I like your diagram / guide, very nice. Looks like it goes into a subway / underground system, but it's just a shot of a very tiny segment of a much larger line. I think a project like that would be better suited to TANE IMO. From what your doing, just looks like you could create a great freight switching session.

Last edited:
My reply was for the type of layout given, a TMR17 layout which is small to start with. I like your diagram / guide, very nice. Looks like it goes into a subway / underground system, but it's just a shot of a very tiny segment of a much larger line. I think a project like that would be better suited to TANE IMO. From what your doing, just looks like you could create a great freight switching session.

I already have a modded freight version of the Pioneer & Freedom out with 3 coal unloading facilities (2 animated), cement plant ,warehousing district and a fuel storage/transfer facility with a couple forum threads devoted to it..the 30TH Street yard diagram is just to illustrate the yard size and scope which can be copied to the new layout.........this can encompass large stations, passenger storage yards, maintenance facilities (car/loco shops and servicing), MOW yard and supporting structures. Instead of freight it would focus obviously on passenger and commuter service along with some MOW operations to add variety. The JointedRail Amtrak MOW set will feel right at home here.

The challenge with this is the city aspect ..for the modded Brazemore Yard city/Amtrak version, it was confined to a small space which allowed a lot of detailing, expanding that city concept to this layout is 10x if not more in scope. I am extremely detailed oriented as you can tell by previous modded layouts so this would be taking it to a higher level with so much more space that can be filled with a city or cities theme....something I want to attempt,,,,,I have a decent collection of Amtrak and NJT units that would look really good for this type of layout.....the approach also would have to be different in construction. It took only about 2 hours if not less to place all the city structures for the Brazemore mod with hardly any changes needing to be made. This layout will create 4 main areas for a city environment connected to rail service plus the addition of small towns as areas just to pass through........a much larger scope with great amount of detail....

As layouts go this is by no means "Small" . You can run long unit trains in block operations and with the addition of the staging yard, add even more versatility to the layout...granted its not a route but also this is probably more detailed then most routes that are available to begin with. Compare any of my modifications to their original versions and you can see the detail level I try to accomplish.

Back