Change video cards?

jeffmorris

I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 16299, GeForce GTX 970 card, GeForce driver version 387.92, and TANE SP2 HF1 build 90323. There is too much screen jerkiness while editing my own NYCTA subway system. The jerkiness happens while panning the map around, laying track, etc.. I found out that newer versions of GeForce drivers are not good. Would changing video cards from GeForce to AMD fix the problems?

Let's get more details:

What CPU?
What amount of RAM installed in motherboard?

I suppose it does not make a lot of difference, but what kind of drive is it installed on and running from?

Just minor details. That GPU is pretty good, not that old really. I have the GTX 980, works with everything on maximum settings, Windows 10, 32GB RAM, and SSD is where it is stored/run from.

Others will probably tell you to get a new GPU, but you should at least tell more details about your system.

I have a GTX970 in my second PC, works pretty well so long as you don't run everything on max. latest 3 Nvidia drivers have been fine here. Without the rest of the PC specs we are guessing but could be something is causing a bottleneck on the GPU.

I have Gigabyte Z87X-OC motherboard, Intel I5 4670 CPU, and 16GM of RAM. Windows 10 and TANE run off Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD.

There's little to complain about with the latest NVidia drivers (388.13) which sort out a few issues for several cards.
Suggest check whether it's your CPU which is the bottleneck (or whether you've simply turned your T:ANE performance settings up 'a bridge too far').
Finally, there are now a few AMD cards which eclipse some of the 9-series NVidia cards, but none of these come close to the GTX 1080Ti these days.
The Radeon software is much improved over the old Catalyst suite/ drivers, but then, so too are the most recent NVidia drivers.
Note that you don't need to install the NVidia GeForce Experience software to employ the latest GPU drivers.

I turned down the sliders one slot to left and it reduced the jerkiness a little bit. How do I find out if my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU?

Here's a PC Gamer article on the subject that makes for compelling reading:
http://www.pcgamer.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/

There's also a helpful online calculator that you could consider visiting here:
http://www.thebottlenecker.com/
It explains the concept of bottlenecking and allows you to input your component values to allow a broad calculation of potential performance blockers.
With my own combo of an Intel i7-4790k @4.6Ghz and Asus ROG Strix GTX-1070 OC 8Gb graphics card, it showed an 'average bottleneck percentage' of 3% if the CPU was running at 4Ghz.
The calculation also takes into account memory (RAM) and physical storage types (i.e. SSD, PCIe SSD, M2 SSD, HDD, Hybrids, etc.) and indicates how each can influence the degree of bottlenecking that can be expected.

Last edited:
That's fairly low, which indicates that the screen jerkiness that you're reporting is more likely attributed to the complexity of the route scenery you're working on; or running draw distance and visual quality settings that are too high for your current CPU/GPU combo; or some combination of both. In particular, I'd check for any faulty assets, or very high-poly objects/ splines, in the area(s) where you see any stuttering or jerkiness occur.
Believe it or not, in my experience, 90323 - the latest SP2 HF1 beta candidate - is possibly one of the least demanding builds of T:ANE N3V have produced so far to date. I rarely see my CPU exceed 30% (average) utilisation and the GPU typically hums along at less than 60% usage and 60 degrees Celsius, even when running large, complex routes & sessions at the highest draw distance and performance settings.
This simulation has come a long way in recent beta test iterations, especially since earlier builds which could stretch the fastest CPUs and GPUs we could throw at it and bring them to a crawl and/or leave us fearing thermal meltdowns of components!

Agree totally with the previous reply. You have a pretty decent spec. Rather than look at h/w improvements I would be looking at the route to see if there is too much high poly uneccessary fluff.

Phil

There are programs (tasks) running in the background that may interfere with TANE. How can I check out and disable any unnecessary background tasks?

If you're running Windows 10 Creators Edition, use the new Game Bar feature (Windows + G key combo).
When set up properly, it will supress all background tasks and other likely interferences during gameplay in T:ANE.

I tried Game Bar feature but it doesn't work. I think something is wrong with the latest version of graphics driver.

What does "Texture Streaming" do? I went back to
GeForce driver version 387.92
this morning because I thought that versions 388.xx are not good. I used TANE all day long without any weird problems.

jeffmorris:
What does "Texture Streaming" do?

From the built-in help button found in the Trainz Settings performance tab dialog...

Use Texture Streaming

This option helps improve performance by reducing initial loading times and reducing VRAM usage. It can result in a slight delay while higher resolution textures are streamed in when moving about the scene or changing camera views.

It is best-applied to older video cards with little VRAM available (say 1 to 2GB). Powerful modern cards with 8Gb of GDDR5x or High Bandwidth Memory should probably have this unticked...

More about the setting options can be found here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Video_Settings

Last edited:
Back