Ideas for a Minium reasonable build to run TANE

johnwhelan

This particular requirement comes from the UK and its very price sensitive.

The ideal would be a GTX 1050 ti, but would a GT 1030 suffice?

A refurbished Dell mini tower I think would allow the power supply to be upgraded to something reasonable. They seem to be available for around 300 quid.

A refurbished HP i5 mini tower comes with a 320 watt power supply which should just about manage an GTX 1050 or the ti.

Thoughts other than real TANE users run overclocked i7s with GTX1080ti cards?

Thanks John

I believe the GTX 1030 is actually less powerful than most Intel integrated graphics processors, and is primarily pitched at home theatre installations and applications that require some cuda processing without being graphics intensive. Anything with a 300W or greater psu should be able to drive a GTX1050ti, provided you opt for a model that derives its power from the motherboard only (75 watt). A small form factor GTX 1060 would be a significant improvement, but then you'd also be looking at replacing the power supply. It all comes down to budget at the end of the day.

John

I believe the GTX 1030 is actually less powerful than most Intel integrated graphics processors, and is primarily pitched at home theatre installations and applications that require some cuda processing without being graphics intensive. Anything with a 300W or greater psu should be able to drive a GTX1050ti, provided you opt for a model that derives its power from the motherboard only (75 watt). A small form factor GTX 1060 would be a significant improvement, but then you'd also be looking at replacing the power supply. It all comes down to budget at the end of the day.

John

which would be my thoughts as well.

Thanks John

What sort of budget are you looking at? I'm guessing I know who it is for. Maybe look at Laptops Direct they do refurbished Desktops a bit cheaper than Dell.

What sort of budget are you looking at? I'm guessing I know who it is for. Maybe look at Laptops Direct they do refurbished Desktops a bit cheaper than Dell.

I'm thinking the refurbished HP i5 mini tower with a GTX1050ti at the moment. There is one main target that I don't think you're aware of but there is also a secondary one which might well be the same person as you are thinking of.

At the moment I'm more interested in putting together something that stands a chance rather than build to a particular budget. The Dell desktop typically have underpowered power supplies that are not easy to upgrade for this sort of thing so I think they're out.

A GTX 1050 looks to be 118 quid a GTX 1050 ti 142 quid. a refurbished HP i5 mini tower 200 quid so total about 320 -350 quid.

GTX 1060 3 gig 190, 6 gig 240 plus 63 for a power supply then you get into you need to change the power supply which is much more complex than dropping in a GPU. Total around 500 quid. This would be the nice one but the other would be more affordable.

Cheerio John

Back