creating a video file ideally WebM

johnwhelan

I have a GTX 980 so somewhere there is supposed to be something that captures video any ideas and how to create a WebM file from it?

Thanks John

I have a GTX 980 so somewhere there is supposed to be something that captures video any ideas and how to create a WebM file from it?

Thanks John

Nvidia has integrated hardware which makes it easy to capture games like trainz. Amd has something similar probably.

As far as nvidia, your 980 is powerful enough that you can do vid capture pretty well.

For your gpu i would use true 1080p recording (1920x1080 at 60fps)
Anything higher and you will probably drop frames.
A recording bitrate of 50mbps is plenty for that rate and resolution.

The nvidia driver for doing screen recording is the external plugin: nvidia NVENC H.264 (NVENC.DLL)

The format you record into will most likely NOT be webm, that is a format that is made after you do the recording using an encoder.

You can do the recordings with the nvidia shadowplay also, that uses the NVenc.dll recording method also.

But any method you choose will most likely not do direct encoding into webm.

The free program called TEncoder will covert your recordings into webm. But the program is a bit complex.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/

Last edited:
Nvidia has integrated hardware which makes it easy to capture games like trainz. Amd has something similar probably.

As far as nvidia, your 980 is powerful enough that you can do vid capture pretty well.

For your gpu i would use true 1080p recording (1920x1080 at 60fps)
Anything higher and you will probably drop frames.
A recording bitrate of 50mbps is plenty for that rate and resolution.

The nvidia driver for doing screen recording is the external plugin: nvidia NVENC H.264 (NVENC.DLL)

The format you record into will most likely NOT be webm, that is a format that is made after you do the recording using an encoder.

You can do the recordings with the nvidia shadowplay also, that uses the NVenc.dll recording method also.

But any method you choose will most likely not do direct encoding into webm.

The free program called TEncoder will covert your recordings into webm. But the program is a bit complex.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/

Or I could just dump it up on youtube and let them do the conversion.

Step one at the moment is sorting out shadowplay.

Cheerio John

I've loaded up nVidia's GeForce Experience but I don't seem to be able to see any signs of shadowplay. I can see an in game overlay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks John

If you have the ingame overlay it's Alt F9 to record, Alt F9 to stop, it's not easy finding your way around the settings, need to open GeForce Experience first click the triangle top right then on the next screen click the cog, to get out of the screen use the close window X at the top of the screen which takes you back to the previous screen. Make sure if you are not intending to stream anywhere you turn it all off and check or change where the video is being saved to before recording.

I normally use OBS Studio it's open source free and far more intuitive and has loads more features than Nvidia's thing however it got bust in the Creators Fall update, waiting for a fix!

Back