Track sound.

OldGuy

Hi.
Yes I have asked before and have received answers. And I thank you.
The following line added to a config.txt file is valid for (some maybe all) non procedural track and it works.

is_silent 1

This line will not work on procedural track. Generates an error. After some "seeking", it appears that the clickety clack track sound is generated by the "Trainz software process", not the track.
The above line must then turn the sound off in the "Trainz software process".
Does anyone know or know where to find if there is a valid command, that achieves the same result as above for procedural track. The line in the sand maybe in the build version of the track.

Ok.
This is what I have discovered.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Index_of_Tags_&_Containers
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"track-sound"_container
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Tracksound
kuid <kuid:502415:100141>

There are two "words"
track-sound and tracksound
Lets see if I get the terminology correct here.
A "kuid" has a "kind". "tracksound" is a "kind" thus this "kind" is what the Trainz Program identifies as a thing that it needs to do something with. Ive got that.

EG within a config.txt

kind "tracksound"
min-distance 30
max-distance 1200

levels
{
0 1
1 3
2 7
}

The above is taken from a tracksound asset on the DLS. I assume this is correct and functional. Cant test it. You will see why.
The min and max I get and this is where I hope I can minimise the sound by reducing these values.

There is another "track-sound". This is referred to as a container. I am guessing that this is the instruction within the "proceedural-track" "kind" config.txt that I figure that would pass the "tracksound" to the program.
The way I understand it is that the "tracksound" is "called" or is a sub routine or function of the "proceedural-track" kuid

I have tested a few variations to the config.txt of a protrack to try and "call" or pass on the tracksound and the following does not error.

track-sound
{
}

I have no idea what to put inside the parenthesis as this appears to require the information from the other example. IE min max etc or values. Not a kuid as one would expect.
I would have expected the following line to be true

track-sound <kuid:123456:876543>

but it does not work. Not valid inside a "procedural-track". Thus I cannot test the above track sound. Can't call it.

Either I got it wrong or it does not work anyway.
I'm very cool with getting something wrong. If you see something that does not fit, put something.

Maybe some one out there knows the answer or maybe its more "bug magic".

P.S.
Also, within the "stuff" I have been reading, Trainz assigns a default sound to the track. The "tracksound" is assigned as a replacement to the default OR use "tracksound", not default track sound.

Last edited:
i'm afraid that Procedural Tracks can't support costum tracksounds, as it seems there's no "tracksound"/"track-sound" container in the permited containers of this kind. I dunno why... And I doubt if anyone can make/clone any procedural track with a costum track-sound container.... but why? maybe it's forgotten in the codes ? :(

Good Morning All
The track-sound container should work correctly with procedural tracks. I have tested them here and they appear to work, although I tested without the 'track' tag as a very quick test.

An example of the track-sound container, as added to a track asset, is as follows:

track-sound
{
track-sound-element0
{
track-sound <kuid:61119:1111>
priority 1100
track <kuid2:103475:38200:1>
}
}

The track-sound tag should refer to the tracksound asset.

The track tag should refer to the track you want the sound to occur on.

Note you can also specify sounds for specific bogies if desired by adding the 'bogey' tag.

Unfortunately it appears that the wiki may be missing some details, especially the 'track-sound-element#' subcontainer.

Regards

I had not seen Zec's earlier post before I posted the text below:
You can add a 'track-sound' container to procedural track. Here is an example of the container within a config file:
kuid <kuid2:368725:49046:1>
username "Protrack NSWGR clean stone, mid-life timber, baseplated"
kind "procedural-track"
trainz-build 4.2

track-sound
{
sound1 // this is arbitrary name to distinguish it from other track sounds, if any
{
track-sound <kuid:368725:90045>
priority 1
}
}
Steve (OldGuy) would like to remove the "clickety-clack" sound from procedural track. I had the idea that the default "clickety clack" sound could be replaced by the addition of a 'track-sound' container to a procedural track's config file. If the tracksound asset referred to in the container's 'track-sound' tag consisted of a silent WAV file, then there would effectively be no track sound. However, I found a reference,
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Tracksound, that suggests:
KIND Tracksound assets are configurable tracksounds (that is, the rail-wheel 'whoosh' noise, not the 'clickety-clack' noise). They can be tagged onto track splines to change the character of the sound depending on location - e.g. tunnels and bridges using a different sound to plain track.
I'll confirm that the "clickety-clack" is not removed by the addition of a 'track-sound' container in an experiment later today. Zec, was the "clickety-clack" still there when you tested your 'track-sound' container?

Last edited:
I performed the test outlined in my prior post. The 'clickety clack' sound was not removed, therefore I'm forced to agree with the Wiki quote in my prior post. Tracksound assets can be added as 'configurable' supplementary sounds to the 'clickety clack' sound, which appears to be not alterable by content creators or asset editors in quality or volume for procedural track assets.

Last edited:
Like a dog with a bone hey.
I did some more "seeking". The default track sound is not a "tracksound" as such but a construct of several very small wav files "wheel_clang1.wav" to "wheel_clang5.wav" plus a couple of others.
Thus, the flag "is-silent" must turn this off.
The flag "is-silent" is :-
not valid in a container "procedural-track"
valid in a container which uses the "istrack" flag.
I have sent a bug report requesting a suitable flag be included into protrack.
Trains traveling at 160kph plus need solid welded track.

Hi all.
Well after all that I have an answer that works.
Well, I had the answer in the beginning, I just did not spell it correctly.

It is possible to turn the track sound (wheel clanging - click clack) off. The other sounds stay.
Procedural track will accept and respond to the flag .... wait for it ..........
is_silent 1

as opposed to
is-silent 1

Big thank you to Leigh and Zec.

Back