Graphic Changes for the new Trainz and what is possible from another game.

mikeman

I enjoy Trainz and have had each edition from the very first up to Tane. I also love World of Tanks. I thought I would drop this link of a review of what World of Tanks are doing to improve their graphics for their MMO tank game. The changes in environment are astonishing. Check out the trees, bushes, rock and ground textures. It is simply amazing how WOT is improving their world. Hopefully the new Trainz will see similar improvement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5kEfCYCVuU

And as we have learned from DTG's TSW, where the release of a user sandbox or route editor appears to be in hiatus, once you step up to a more complex graphics engine you may struggle to provide one of the key elements these games thrive on - the ability for users to create their own content. That goes for the 3D modelling too where the only solution turns out to be high end modelling and art programmes, these are out of reach of the hobby level author.

The world of tanks game is quite different from trainz.

The biggest difference is, complexity. Trainz accomodates all kinds of possible creations from realistic to completely ridiculous.
Users can create content for Trainz, eaisly.
The list goes on and on about how different these two games are.

Even if you compare GRAND THEFT AUTO 5, and Trainz: A New Era. ..... Trainz wins, why?
Any user of trainz can upload and download objects in the dls and use them in their game without hacks mods or the like.

EVERYTHING that someone puts in a route can be created by that same someone.
A whole trainz world can be created from scratch, by any user that is motivated enough to do so.

Most games like world of tanks were not meant to be "lego" environments like "Trainz" where the only limit is the power of your computer, imagination, and motivation. (if the code is good)

Also, the camera looked pretty restricted in that world of tanks video, thats an easy trick games use these days.
Locked camera, and pov.

Just how far out can the camera go?

In trainz, you can DETACH the camera from the train and roam the world, while your trainz are running.
And trainz does look damn good, you just need the power for the graphics engine.

Give it time, eventually, gpu power will be 5x what it is today and you will want more graphics engine.... then more gpu power... then more graphics engine..

Last edited:
Back