Rotation increments fixed to whole degrees

pepperref

I noticed that some assets only rotate in whole degrees, while others rotate in tenths of a degree. I spend quite a bit of time trying to get something like a building to rotate exactly 90 degrees, because the rotation feature seems to like 89.9 or 90.1 degrees better.

I reviewed config files on different assets that rotate to only whole numbers, i.e., 1.0, 20.0, 100.0, etc., but I can't find anything obvious that causes theses assets to lock on whole numbers.

I found a tag called 'rotstep' that fixes the rotational steps to any decimal number desired, but I added it to some of my assets and changing the decimal seems to have no affect in Surveyor. It rotates to tenths of a degree no matter what number I assign to 'rotstep'.

If anyone can explain this behavior, please do.

I cannot explain the behaviour (I don't recall ever experiencing this) but one useful tip is to hold down the Crtl key when using the rotation button - it allows you to fine tune the increment angle during the rotation.

I noticed that some assets only rotate in whole degrees, while others rotate in tenths of a degree. I spend quite a bit of time trying to get something like a building to rotate exactly 90 degrees, because the rotation feature seems to like 89.9 or 90.1 degrees better.
There is an option in Settings to randomly rotate objects as they are placed. If this is turned on then assets might be placed at odd angles, in which case it can be difficult to get them aligned to a standard angle like 90 or 180.

... I added it to some of my assets and changing the decimal seems to have no affect in Surveyor. It rotates to tenths of a degree no matter what number I assign to 'rotstep'.

If anyone can explain this behavior, please do.
Here is a possible explanation:

When you make a change to the config file of an asset the change is not effective on assets already placed in the scene. To see the effect you need to place a new instance of the asset.

I think I didn't explain my question clearly enough, so let me give you an example.

The asset, CAT950G Fork Loader, when added to a empty baseboard, rotates in 1 degree increments. If you hold down the CTRL key, it will rotate in 0.1 degree increments.
The asset, JR Ties Scenery, when added to a empty baseboard, does NOT rotate in 1 degree increments. It rotates in less than 1 degree increments. If you hold down the CTRL key, it will rotate in 0.1 degree increments.

When I compare config files between these two assets, I can't find anything obvious that makes the CAT950G loader default to 1 degree increments, and the JR Ties to default to less than 1 degree increments. Both behave the same when holding down the CTRL key.

What I'm trying to find out is how do I make an asset default to 1 degree increments?

I did go down this path, and other similar interesting "stuff". As far as I can tell, the 0.1 increment you are describing is a 0.25 increment in the config.txt under rotstep that does not work properly due to what appears to me as a (insert suitable word here). IE applying a 0.25 value to a function that can only accept increments of 0.1. Thus the smallest increment being 0.3 degrees which is what you are seeing. A very rational outcome hey. "And then"!!!, once you find a rotstep that has a value of 0.25 and change it to say (as the book says) 1, 5, 10, 20......, guess what, it stays at 0.25 no matter what value is entered. Other assets respond correctly. I find this stuff very frustrating too. Perhaps there is no answer.
I am going to find a course on black arts and magic. Perhaps you could try that too.
I wish you well in your quest Sir Knight.

The asset, JR Ties Scenery, when added to a empty baseboard, does NOT rotate in 1 degree increments. It rotates in less than 1 degree increments. If you hold down the CTRL key, it will rotate in 0.1 degree increments.
If you want people to examine the issue that you are reporting then it is necessary to post example assets that are accessible from the DLS.

For the problem asset you mention the question should be directed to the original creators. There is a forum dedicated to this brand of payware.

Hello BuilderBob,

In my example, I changed JR Ties Scenery to Older Type Storefront 2 DES, which can be found on the DLS, as you suggested, perhaps you could examine the issue now?

The asset, CAT950G Fork Loader, when added to a empty baseboard, rotates in 1 degree increments. If you hold down the CTRL key, it will rotate in 0.1 degree increments.

The asset, Older Type Storefront 2 DES, when added to a empty baseboard, does NOT rotate in 1 degree increments. It rotates in less than 1 degree increments. If you hold down the CTRL key, it will rotate in 0.1 degree increments.

When I compare config files between these two assets, I can't find anything obvious that makes the CAT950G loader default to 1 degree increments, and the Older Type Storefront 2 DES to default to less than 1 degree increments. Both behave the same when holding down the CTRL key.

What I'm trying to find out is how do I make an asset default to 1 degree increments?

A hint I found on the forums I think is to look at the properties of a freshly laid object. Select the "?" in the flyout and then select the object. It usually disappears for a second then reappears. Then just close the properties window without changing anything. If the object has the rotstep as 1.0 in it's config, it should now rotate in 1 degree increments.

I guess it's an "undocumented feature". :confused:

Andrew

In my example, I changed JR Ties Scenery to Older Type Storefront 2 DES
Do you mean <kuid2:101046:101741:2> Older Type Storefront 2 DES?

It appears that you have misunderstood how rotation works. Neither of these assets rotates in 1 degree increments. All assets rotate in 0.1 degree increments unless a different rotstep is specified. However, the default rotation is relatively coarse. To get finer control (ie, less adjustment for a given mouse movement) use the Ctrl key. Depending on your mouse sensitivity setting, that gives reliable 0.1 degree adjustment. So to get exactly 90.0 or 180.0 use the mouse without the Ctrl key to get close, then use the mouse with the Ctrl key to get the exact setting.

However the preferable method for placing assets at exactly 90.0 or 180.0 is to ensure the setting 'Randomly rotate new objects' is not selected.

A hint I found on the forums I think is to look at the properties of a freshly laid object. Select the "?" in the flyout and then select the object. It usually disappears for a second then reappears. Then just close the properties window without changing anything. If the object has the rotstep as 1.0 in it's config, it should now rotate in 1 degree increments.

Andrew

Thank you, thank you! You have answered my question!

If you want something to rotate in 1 degree increments, immediately after placing it, select the "?" and select the object. A Properties panel opens up. Close the Properties panel and try rotating the object. It will rotated in 1 degree increments.

Incidentally, I understand the rotation feature and the use of the Control Key to get 0.1 degree increments, I just wanted to spend less time trying to dial-in 90 degrees without jumping back and forth from 89.9 to 90.1 to 89.8 to 90.1, etc.

Andrew

Andrew,

I just happened to be making some assets which I want to have fixed increments for rotation and rolling, but the config tags had no effect and it was driving me nuts. Then I saw your post. What you said is 100% correct, at least for the version of T:ANE I'm currently on (88348). How hard we need to struggle to get even the simplest things to work in this game sometimes.

D

The tip given by SharkNose works like a charm. I now use this "feature" almost every day now when I am building routes.

Thanks, guys. I can't take credit for it though. I saw it somewhere else and can't find it again! :sleep:

I use the trick so much that it's second nature when I lay a new asset I know I'll rotate.

The rotation increment bug is still there in TANE and TRS19. It's now 6 years since I first found this thread and the fix described in post #9. I had completely forgotten about it.

Thanks to Forum search, I re-discovered the thread today. Now I know why some editable signs I made were obeying the rotstep 1.00 tag perfectly while some non-editable signs were completely ignoring it. Thanks Sharknose, wherever you are.

Building on the work-around method, I’ve been able to make Scenery assets that can snap-rotate correctly without the user needing to even touch the Properties box.

It requires adding a name attachment point to the mesh, and a name effects container to the mesh-table. In the effects container, I gave it a name of “.” which makes it non-editable (as would any string other than the word “name”). This built-in name text does not appear on the sign itself, or on the mini-map, and just to make sure it would never be seen, I buried its attachment point inside the mesh body. The asset simply snap-rotates in accordance with the rotstep value without any special input from the user.

Last edited:
Most of my assets I use
rotstep 0.01
And it always rotates in 0.1 increments.

When I remove the tag they will rotate 1.0 (default) and Ctrl goes 0.1

So just remove the rotstep tag and see if that fixes it for you

This looks like a thing to do the "save page as" function with in order to have it for future reference.

Most of my assets I use

That could be a special case, but if you want a 5-degree snap rotation (or anything other than 1.0) the rotstep tag will be ignored due to the bug.

Most of my assets I use

I just checked and I didn't see that behaviour at all.

With or without the rotstep tag and whether the Ctrl key is pressed or not regular Scenery assets rotate in 0.1 degree increments. This was in T:ANE.

Back