Routes with AJS animated junctions - TS12 to TANE tranfer method?

Lataxe

Eso's Wington Junction has been the basis for a large extension, in my TS12, all of which has been populated with Andi's AJS animated junctions and the underlying green-line track.

Does anyone have advice on how to transfer such a route to TANE so that the AJS junctions and green-line track is replaced en-masse with a procedural track having it's own animated junctions?

Perhaps I can just delete the AJS junction assets from the TANE database (assuming they transfer at all) then use the replace tool to swap all the track, including the green lines, to a procedural track .....?

Any advice gratefully received.

Lataxe

when i updated a route i had worked on for ages in TS12 to Tane i had a few problems first many of the TS12 ground textures were so much brighter they had to be changed which was simple but time consuming as you have to do each offending texture one by one in bulk replace or just select all ay once and swap with a new TANE one which will suit instead.

With Andi's junctions there are a few problems first if your using his track textures you will have to bulk replace them to a TANE auto animated junction type which will then not replace the textures on any of the parts of his junction kits like the way gauges and spacers etc.

As for replacing the actual junctions these consist of 3 parts the frame( under buildings tab in surveyor) and the green and blue invisible tracks( under the track tab in surveyor).

Unfortunately there appears to be no way to simply replace these to use the new TANE track junctions. As best as i can tell it is a matter of going to each junction or other item from the junction kits you have used and remove the frame and then you can join the green and blue wire track ends to the normal track. once you have then done this across the whole route you could then just use bulk replace to change the green and blue wire track to your chosen new track that has the auto animated junction ability.

While i know this is a large job this way it is the only way i can see to do it, as if you just delete the junction kit assets from TANE all you will end up with is breaks in your track at every junction cross over etc which you will have to then go in and fix one by one.

Atleast using the system i describe above your route will not be broken as you work through and remove the frames and then replace the wire tracks and you can see where you need to replace the tracks and nit just end up with large areas of track work to re do without a guide to how it had been laid out. Especially helpful with large ladder track work in yards and large stations.

Hope this is helpful.

when i updated a route i had worked on for ages in TS12 to Tane i had a few problems first many of the TS12 ground textures were so much brighter they had to be changed which was simple but time consuming as you have to do each offending texture one by one in bulk replace or just select all ay once and swap with a new TANE one which will suit instead.

With Andi's junctions there are a few problems first if your using his track textures you will have to bulk replace them to a TANE auto animated junction type which will then not replace the textures on any of the parts of his junction kits like the way gauges and spacers etc.

As for replacing the actual junctions these consist of 3 parts the frame( under buildings tab in surveyor) and the green and blue invisible tracks( under the track tab in surveyor).

Unfortunately there appears to be no way to simply replace these to use the new TANE track junctions. As best as i can tell it is a matter of going to each junction or other item from the junction kits you have used and remove the frame and then you can join the green and blue wire track ends to the normal track. once you have then done this across the whole route you could then just use bulk replace to change the green and blue wire track to your chosen new track that has the auto animated junction ability.

While i know this is a large job this way it is the only way i can see to do it, as if you just delete the junction kit assets from TANE all you will end up with is breaks in your track at every junction cross over etc which you will have to then go in and fix one by one.

Atleast using the system i describe above your route will not be broken as you work through and remove the frames and then replace the wire tracks and you can see where you need to replace the tracks and nit just end up with large areas of track work to re do without a guide to how it had been laid out. Especially helpful with large ladder track work in yards and large stations.

Hope this is helpful.

Beckster,

Thanks for the comprehensive answer - I think. :) It sounds like there's no way to avoid a lot of tedious replacement work for individual junctions, of which there are many, many in the route. It's doubly frustrating when I think of how much time I must have spent putting them all in there in the first place!

I suppose I can play about (aka experiment) to see if I can find a short cut to a bulk replace method. But I suspect that your reasoning on the matter is correct .....

Lataxe

I ran into a similar issue with another route I pulled out of storage, which is a nice way to put it. The route used the old JK-series fixed junctions, which work similar to Andi's since those are fixed-track objects upon which the "wires" are connected across the various connection points.

I tried various methods and finally found that I had to manually delete the fixed-track object its self because fixed-track objects like industries and other MO-crossing types can't be bulk deleted or replaced. With this figured out, I literally walked the route mile by mile, kilometer by kilometer along every branch, siding, and even the mainline, replacing one switch at a time.

I found with the JK-switches, I could replace the track on those with the track I was using, though it didn't always work well and I had to manually fiddle with the junctions.

I ran into a similar issue with another route I pulled out of storage, which is a nice way to put it. The route used the old JK-series fixed junctions, which work similar to Andi's since those are fixed-track objects upon which the "wires" are connected across the various connection points.

I tried various methods and finally found that I had to manually delete the fixed-track object its self because fixed-track objects like industries and other MO-crossing types can't be bulk deleted or replaced. With this figured out, I literally walked the route mile by mile, kilometer by kilometer along every branch, siding, and even the mainline, replacing one switch at a time.

I found with the JK-switches, I could replace the track on those with the track I was using, though it didn't always work well and I had to manually fiddle with the junctions.

Perhaps one needs to adopt the attitude that individual replacement of junctions (or whatever) is an "opportunity" to revisit the design of the layout - in detail - and make further improvements? Put another way, the journey (of reconstructing the route) is to be preferred to the arrival (which may never occur). :) Been there, still doing that (so to speak).

In truth, I suspect that many of us spend most of our Trainz time doing construction, of both routes and sessions, without being too concerned about reaching an end to the process. I find this mental attitude in myself also when making furniture, where it really isn't appropriate since the point of furniture is to use it. But with Trainz route & session-building, no one is waiting to go to a mocked-up Cheltenham on the 04:15; or for their virtual coal.

Lataxe

Perhaps one needs to adopt the attitude that individual replacement of junctions (or whatever) is an "opportunity" to revisit the design of the layout - in detail - and make further improvements? Put another way, the journey (of reconstructing the route) is to be preferred to the arrival (which may never occur). :) Been there, still doing that (so to speak).

In truth, I suspect that many of us spend most of our Trainz time doing construction, of both routes and sessions, without being too concerned about reaching an end to the process. I find this mental attitude in myself also when making furniture, where it really isn't appropriate since the point of furniture is to use it. But with Trainz route & session-building, no one is waiting to go to a mocked-up Cheltenham on the 04:15; or for their virtual coal.

Lataxe

So true when does any real train layout in the physical world ever get fully finished ? You will always find people redoing sections that they did early on in the life of a layout as they get better at doing things and making them look more realistic. While our routes may be in the cyber world they are as much work in progress as any physical one. I like many in the Trainz community are here for the fact i dont have room for a physical layout of the size route i would want where i can run realistic length consists over realistic lengths

I agree. The replacement of the junctions turned into route renovation. On of my recent project I did was the Murchison route, which actually came in nicely into T:ANE but required many asset repairs and other fixings like floating road splines. The route was worth the effort, and Michael's track was auto-replaced with the Pro-track which was nice. On my copy I plan on electrifying the mainline at some point so I can run some nice electric passenger trains.

And so it goes, just like with a real model railroad things never do come to an end. :)

My update to the Aussie Main South Line is like that too John i have done some revision of stations and industries and some more buildings that look better but at the moment i am also trying to remove un needed spline points and more graphic intense items as this route is huge and uses lots of memory and after a couple of graphic cards died in my computer i am back to using an old ATI HD 7700 which is getting maxed out as i do this but with luck and if i am a good boy (LOL) santa might get me a new one or if son updates his system i will get his hand downs LOL

Back