updating sessions

ad602000

Boss,in my wife's absence
how do you update a session after you make a change to the route, so that the route in the session will reflect your updates to the route?

chee4rs
Pete

If you edit session the route and session will be saved together. If you edit route a new session is created. Old sessions may not work with updated routes. Driver routes and session can not be updated.

how do you update a session after you make a change to the route, so that the route in the session will reflect your updates to the route?

You can make a change to a route on your system without affecting any of the sessions based on that route, so the session will not need any updating. For example, if all your tree assets are in a route layer then adding, deleting or swapping trees will not affect any of the sessions. The sessions will use the updated route.

If the route and sessions are on your system only and not on the DLS then the kuids will not change so nothing apart from the scenery will be different.

If the route is on the DLS then updating and uploading it will give it a new kuid number and the sessions will have to have their config.txt files updated to access that new number and they will also have to be uploaded (and get new kuids as well). Each session config.txt file will have a tag ...

"map-kuid <kuid number>"

.... where the map kuid will be identified. Elsewhere in the config.txt file will appear another tag ...

kuid-table
{
0 <kuid2:30671:9080810:2>
1 <kuid:44179:60013>
2 <kuid2:44988:80020:3>
3 <map kuid>

}

... one of those numbers will also be the map kuid. Both tags have to be updated to the new map kuid.

Not Quite the same problem but related.

I am in the process of doing a major over haul of a TS12 route for Tane, requiring much ground texture changes track updating etc.

Each time i save updates for the first time each day it wants to save a new default session if i tell it to do so it warns that default session already exists but wont allow me to update it instead so it is a new default with an old one as well after i do that it will update the session till i close the game for the day. Then the next day i come back to it it does the same thing. I have left it open over the midnight hours (pulling a dreaded all nighter) and it still saves as update to session till i close program. Also if i close program 2 or three times in a day it will ask to save a new default session each time i try to update for the first time each opening.

So as an example if i work on it each day for a week and close program each day i end up with 7 default sessions.

Is it me doing something wrong or is it a weird glitch.

This has been the way it has always worked but they did make some changes to that process recently - it may have been in one of the HF1 betas ??? (its late and its been a busy day).

If you are just changing the route (e.g. editing textures, landforms, and the contents of the route layers) then select the option to not save the session when you save. If you are working with a session then always make sure that the session is given a meaningful name (not default) and from then on, always load and edit the session not the route.

This has been the way it has always worked but they did make some changes to that process recently - it may have been in one of the HF1 betas ??? (its late and its been a busy day).

If you are just changing the route (e.g. editing textures, landforms, and the contents of the route layers) then select the option to not save the session when you save. If you are working with a session then always make sure that the session is given a meaningful name (not default) and from then on, always load and edit the session not the route.

I had never come across this till recently but if i tell it not to save a session update then try to do a quick driver start from surveyor it forces me to do a session save to run driver to do a test run of changes made to things so for now my work around is each time i do first save for day i do a new session save then every few days on my way into the game i go to sessions and delete all. It isnt a game killer problem just a one that is a pain while updating a route that is about 400 miles long with 7 or so branch lines that all need to be done. Once it is all changed to Tane correct stuff i will then get to work on the real sessions as all the TS12 ones i had were broken when imported to TANE.

I just thought it was an interesting thing to bring up for comments and see if anyone had similar experiences.

Put up with the military for 20 yrs so this sort of run around fix is nothing i cant handle LOL

What I do is if I make changes to a route, I save the route and choose no session.
I then exit surveyor.
I then go to sessions and choose the one I want.
If I then modify the session, I save and then leave surveyor.
I then go back to sessions and choose the one I want to run.
I never do the Quick Start any more since TS12 days and have far less problems.
The other thing I found is that when you save a route. but stay in the route and don't make any changes you will be asked to save a session.
I just exit surveyor and no default is added.
I always kill the default at the start and use a named session.
Cheers,
Mike

This has always been the case, if you open route for edit a new session is created, if you save route and not session you can not do quick drive as any route needs a session to run in driver. Always go via edit session even if it is an empty session and you will only be asked to overwrite that session. A new session will not be created and your route will be saved in the same way as it would have done if you edited route only. When you edit via session change the layer to route or else it is in session layer. Even if you forget to change the layer your work and route will still be saved and will still show up when you next edit via that session.

Back