.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Rememeber to search the internet for missing KUIDS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    United States of America, PA
    Posts
    246

    Default Rememeber to search the internet for missing KUIDS

    I have seen a lot of topics around that have to do with missing KUIDs. One thing everyone out there NEEDS to remember is you can just search the internet for dependencies. Remember to get rid of the "Unknown KUID" text after copying and pasting the KUID so it is just the KUID numbers. Another thing is shared dependencies. A lot of content makers share their dependencies from locomotives or pieces of rolling stock with others on their website. This could be anything, even a whistle or engine spec.

    Just remember, if you can't find a dependency, search the internet first and then make a topic if you still can't find that KUID.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Making a topic if you can't find it on the internet is also useless, as the chance that someone has it and someone sends it is less than 5%. I am missing more than 1000 kuids, and no one has ever found them. Some of them reside on specific language forums.


    Regards,
    Marcos

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Right lets help this along a little seeing as Marcos you are in The Netherlands I have 1 route on my list called Netherlandswest 5.0 And despite requests in the Dutch forum etc on here and other resources at my disposal I am still missing 1000 dependencies for this 1 route alone. which I have been searching for for quite a long time. There is a propensity it seems in certain regions to keep things to themselves and not let them out into the wider world. While I can understand that to a small degree it also deprives others of the enjoyment of seeing how another countries railways operate and the work put in by people in Trainz from that country. Other countries and route creators make up route packs,dependency packs and are most helpful despite language barriers etc. I have spent many hours trawling the net looking for missing dependencies from many routes and countries but still nothing gets resolved and has not for many years. So what do we do put what could be a fantastic route in the bin because of the above or leave it installed in the hope that someone will help out. There a lot of people on here who make requests for missing dependencies and Trainz Kuid index is a great resource but even that does not cover everything. So what is the answer ? I would like to know ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    United States of America, PA
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steviez View Post
    Right lets help this along a little seeing as Marcos you are in The Netherlands I have 1 route on my list called Netherlandswest 5.0 And despite requests in the Dutch forum etc on here and other resources at my disposal I am still missing 1000 dependencies for this 1 route alone. which I have been searching for for quite a long time. There is a propensity it seems in certain regions to keep things to themselves and not let them out into the wider world. While I can understand that to a small degree it also deprives others of the enjoyment of seeing how another countries railways operate and the work put in by people in Trainz from that country. Other countries and route creators make up route packs,dependency packs and are most helpful despite language barriers etc. I have spent many hours trawling the net looking for missing dependencies from many routes and countries but still nothing gets resolved and has not for many years. So what do we do put what could be a fantastic route in the bin because of the above or leave it installed in the hope that someone will help out. There a lot of people on here who make requests for missing dependencies and Trainz Kuid index is a great resource but even that does not cover everything. So what is the answer ? I would like to know ?
    I don't know what we should do with routes that you can't find dependencies for. I do know A LOT are missing for many routes out there though. Just the other day I got the Reading and Northern from Jointed Rail and I found it had a pretty large amount of missing dependencies. I found a few but the other 15 to 20 are gone for good. I searched with my internet browser and not one thing came up for all of them.

    One thing to remember is websites get shutdown or even deleted. A lot get shutdown due to the author not paying for the website to stay up and this leads to missing or unfindable dependencies. Of course that depends on if their website host requires you to pay.

  5. #5

    Default

    Hi.
    Well what to do about missing kuid numbers
    i try to use google but if i then still have more than
    75 missing kuids i just delete the route
    Because there are so many websites closed and the creators
    are no longer in the trainz community
    Tonny

  6. #6

    Default

    This would not be a problem if everyone plays by the same rules and used the DLS like it was originally intended where it automatically downloads the required KUID's and skip the ones you already have!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    United States of America, PA
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd_james View Post
    This would not be a problem if everyone plays by the same rules and used the DLS like it was originally intended where it automatically downloads the required KUID's and skip the ones you already have!
    Well, people are annoying and like to make their own websites for stuff. This of course makes it super hard to find ANYTHING when people forget to pay for their website (if applicable) and it gets shutdown because of their forgetfullness.
    I love switching, long consists and mainline runs! Any takers on making a better UP Big Boy for all of us?

  8. #8

    Default

    Searching the internet for mission KUID's is something I have done a lot as it seems virtually every route on the DLS use at least some 3rd party dependencies. Sometimes it's difficult to work with assets exclusively on the DLS, 3rd party websites often have unique assets you can't find elsewhere.

    I use 3rd party content in my routes but generally it's from sites that are probably not going to vanish any time soon i.e., Jointed Rail.

    Searching for the author's ID KUID number sometimes will find you their main website with there content, and it doesn't hurt to look around on the forums either.
    cheers Riley



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS View Post
    Well, people are annoying and like to make their own websites for stuff. This of course makes it super hard to find ANYTHING when people forget to pay for their website (if applicable) and it gets shutdown because of their forgetfullness.
    And that while there is a site where you can get a free website with unlimited bandwidth and storage. Some times they don't forget to pay but they don't have enough money, like what happened to TramTrainz.cz.
    Marcos

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    United States of America, PA
    Posts
    246

    Default

    3rd party content can be annoying most of the time if you can't find it in the first place. I wish authors would update their content so they do not to use that KUID(s) anymore if they find there is a missing KUID(s) that no longer exist. They of all people should know because the website they used to get it is either gone or that specific asset is gone on a website. If that person has died or not been active for a long time, then and only then will I understand why they didn't fix their content.
    I love switching, long consists and mainline runs! Any takers on making a better UP Big Boy for all of us?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •