Shane Turners Trainz Protocol 1.1 (2nd edition)

robd

FAO shaneturner12.

Recently I noticed that my cdp files were showing as blank icons i.e. not the usual bright orange icons. This lead me to believe that they (cdp's) had become disassociated with my TANE installation, I don't know why, it just happens! I therefore used your Trainz Protocol 1.1 2nd Edition to fix this problem but, alack and alas, it didn't work.

I've had this problem before with recent iterations of Trainz (TS10, TS12) and your Trainz Protocol (TP) has always done the business but, unfortunately, not this time.

The only possible reason I can think of is that I am now using Windows 10 Home 64x, my previous problems where I have had to use TP were in Windows 7 Home 64x and TP worked fine then.

I have used a recent download of TP 1.1 2nd edition (this morning) from your utility site so I have the latest version and used it as per the instruction. Is there something I am missing or not doing? I note that there is a link to microsoft .dotnet 2 on the same page but is this compatible with Win 10 or, indeed, is it needed?

Please can you shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I am aware of certain cases where the icon appears blank. Have you tried restarting the computer after doing so?

Shane

Hi Shane,

Yes, I've tried it several times including shutting down and restarting but to no avail. I assume you might know of a direct registry tweak that I could do to alleviate the problem, I presume the Trainz Protocol does this?

Rob.

I will have to check whether it does but something that may help is clearing the thumbnail cache. This is normally done via Disk Cleanup but I may be able to get the program to do it.

Can I check whether double-clicking the files opens them in the correct version of Trainz?

Shane

Thanks for your help.

Have done a Disk cleanup but it makes no difference.

CDP files open up in TANE, or more precisely, open the TANE start menu (splash?) screen when double clicked.

Rob.

I'm just doing some checks at my end. There is a temporary workaround whilst I'm doing so and that is manually changing the icon. The icon you will require is in the TANE.exe file in the folder you installed T:ANE to.

Shane

Yes, I can change the blank icon in to the TANE icon by left clicking on the blank icon and then clicking on properties and then 'open with' and then navigate to TANE.exe and select. I note that when I left click on my TANE shortcut icon on my desktop and then select properties etc. it shows the orange cdp icon as well as the TANE icon - don't know if that's significant or not??

Rob.

Thankyou for that information Malc.

Rob - if that doesn't fix it let me know. I have identified a possible icon mismatch in the code and can make a change to reflect that if needed.

Shane

I've tried clam1952's suggestion but it's not worked - thanks for the suggestion though.

Rob.

I found this ages ago on another tech site:

Copy and paste this into a text file:

ie4uinit.exe -show
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"
DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"
shutdown /r /f /t 00

Rename the text file to Icon Cache Fix.cmd

Close all applications.

Double click on script.

Windows will restart.

The new file is now in place. Please re-download and re-run the file and let me know if it fixes your issue.

Shane

I found this ages ago on another tech site:

Copy and paste this into a text file:

ie4uinit.exe -show
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"
DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"
shutdown /r /f /t 00

Rename the text file to Icon Cache Fix.cmd

Close all applications.

Double click on script.

Windows will restart.

Sadly neither of these 'fixes' worked but thank you for your help. I'm convinced it's a registry problem and the only fix is to go in to the registry and find the corrupt/incorrect register entry and attempt a fix - gulp! I'm not about to do that! The only other way I can think of is to completely reinstall Win 10 and TANE and all my other software/apps - no thanks!

Until a fix comes my way I'll have to live with it.

Many thanks to all those who've tried to help me.

Rob.

I'm surprised the program fix (the updated file) didn't fix it as it's using the information gathered from my version which does show the correct icon. Did you restart after applying the program fix?

Shane

Just a thought but what program or programs does it show if you right and click open with, if you can?

Just a thought but what program or programs does it show if you right and click open with, if you can?

Presumably you mean right click a cdp file.

In 'open with' it shows Content Manager (CM 3.7, my TS12 installation) and TANE. 2 apps.

Rob.

Back